FM1000 Meter Replacement

vendo81

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hopefully I can help someone out as I've replaced both meters over the last coupe years in the FM1000 I use nightly.

The original meters are often not working, and as I found out, don't always last if they do work. After the tuner's rebuild, and about 6 months of use, the VU meter quit. I searched for a replacement and found one that was a great fit. I bought one, installed it and bought an extra for the future if needed.

Recently the signal strength meter quit working. I searched the same brand as the VU as it was a great fit.

Both meters take a bit of alteration to get them to work in the FM1000. I didn't take any photos of the VU replacement which was done a couple years ago.

Here's what the original meters look like...

FM1000 original meter.jpg

And here is the replacement...

FM1000 VU.jpg

Here is a photo of the VU I put in a couple years back. I didn't swap scales as I was fearful of damaging the new meter. Now that I've done the new signal strength scale swap I have the confidence to dig out the original VU and do the swap soon....

FM1000 VU photo.jpg

Last edited:
The meters I use are both made by Shurite and are the 350 series. The VU is model 3801, sold as a VU meter and the signal strength a 0-1 mA DC meter is the model 3300. I found the 0-1 mA meter gives a 1/2 + dial reading for a strong station. You could also use a 0-500 uA for full scale, but Shurite doesn't have one. I'm sure you can make the 0-1 mA work fuller with alterations, or shunt changes but both of my working FM1000 tuners are about 1/2+ scale on a strong signal with working original meters. The Shurite VU meter works very close to original as bought.

FM1000 meter boxes.jpg

The mounting and alterations are the same for both meters.

Last edited:
First I remove the old meter. There are 3 wires on the original signal strength meter, two for the meter and one extra that powers a light inside the meter. You only need the blue and red wires. I just cut them at the meter and pull the 3 wires through the hole in the chassis. I removed the brown one for the light and install new, longer wires for the new meter.

Old, cut wires...

FM1000 meter wires cut.jpg

The FM1000 is complex and has a lot going on so be as careful as you can while working on the chassis. You don't want to have to do a repair as well.

FM1000 chassis complex.jpg

After you install new wires run them through the hole in the chassis....

FM1000 meter wires ran.jpg

Then check for length and attach spade rings on the ends....

FM1000 meter wires spade rings.jpg

Last edited:
Take the new meter, and holding it in place where it will mount, drill 2 small holes in the plastic. Try to keep the holes near the thick plastic area where the meter's mounts are. The meter's mounts are on the bottom, not top where you need them. I used a 3/32" bit and 2 small metal screws I dug out of my hardware boxes.

Next I take the old meter apart and remove the signal strength scale. It is lightly attached at both ends with glue.

FM1000 original meter scale removal.jpg

Take the new meter apart (2 slot head screws) and remove the DC mA scale by lifting it up and out. Be careful of the meter arm!

On the new meter there are 2 small plastic tabs on each end that held in the meters mA scale, they need to be removed to install the signal strength scale. They are easy to remove with a pair of nippers and a razor blade for clean up. You need to trim the old signal strength scale just a small amount on the bottom so the new meter's arm will move freely. Now you can mount the old scale on the new meter using a couple dabs of glue. I use 3M automotive molding adhesive as it dries very quickly and holds strong. Only use a small amount as it's difficult to get most glues off the face of the scale.

Then put the meter back together with the 2 screws...

FM1000 new meter old scale.jpg

You can see the new mounting holes on top...

Last edited:
The original meter had a small black frame around the face. When I installed the VU meter, I used paint but it was very difficult keeping the lines perfect. Even with masking and an airbrush there were very small imperfections, and trying to remove any paint that gets where you don't want it on the clear plastic can ruin it. I ended up using expensive high grade black electrical tape. It holds great and has lasted a couple years on the VU and is still working like new. Once installed in the tuner you can't tell if it's paint or tape and once mounted the frame of the tuner holds it down so it can't lift. With the tape added I can't tell the original from the new meters.

I always use a bit of static spray on a cloth and dab it on the meters top just before mounting it. This brings the arm back to zero. In the photos the arm was all the way left from static. Just handling the meters can cause the arm to stick anywhere on the scale!

FM1000 new meter tape frame.jpg

Now is the time to mount lights if you want them. I've found grain of wheat bulbs mounted on the front ends looked the best when lit up to me. I just used dabs of high quality hot melt glue to hold them in place.

Last edited:
Now mount the new meter and attach the wires, watching polarity if the signal strength. You can then cut to length and install any light wiring....

FM1000 meter trial fit.jpg

FM1000 meter trial fit rear.jpg

Last edited:
The new meters should give many years of service. The FM1000 is such a beautiful tuner and it's a shame to have dead meters. This has been a problem that has plagued this model for as long as I can remember. I hope this will get a few FM1000's working as they should!

FM1000METER DONE.jpg

FM1000 FINISHED.jpg

Last edited:
You've probably got the only FM1000 with working meters now!

Great job!

Dave

Thanks Dave. The signal strength quit a couple weeks back and I really wanted to find a replacement. I had what I thought was a good original from a parts unit but it
barely moved on all signals.
Hopefully this will solve the problem for all owners out there with bad meters. The Shurite meters are plentiful, and the best I could locate with close mounting hole location.

Last edited:
Since all true VU meters would have identical characteristics, it follows then that the replacement VU meter works well. It's the signal strength meter that would need some compensation.

Dave

Great job Vendo! This should be made a sticky for future reference and I admire your abilities to repair this fine tuner. Now, wheres that one you were keeping in the garage???? :) Al

Great job Vendo! This should be made a sticky for future reference and I admire your abilities to repair this fine tuner. Now, wheres that one you were keeping in the garage???? :) Al

Thanks Al. The one in the garage is still used in the garage/shop. There's a couple local FM stations I like to listen to while tinkering with the stereo items. It was scrounged together from 3 parts units and has non working meters and condition problems. I've recently swapped it with a MF-300, but will swap between the two. Out of 4 complete FM1000 units I had only 3 good meters. One of the three ended up as hardly working as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom