Five Favorite Science Fiction Movies - Mine and Yours

Favorite five that don't include Blade Runner and don't repeat the preceding, hmmmm, that's tough...

In no particular order -

Colossus, The Forbin Project
Forbidden Planet
Terminator
THX 1138
Robocop

Runners up -

Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
Minority Report
Hardware
Scanners
Outland

my top 5 runner ups

12505493_1300x1733.jpg

predator-movie-poster-1987-1020261352.jpg

et--the-extra-terrestrial-movie-poster-1982-1020141470.jpg

MPW-25074

51tStTovMVL.jpg

I have 2 favorites:
King Kong (1933): it's hard to categorize, but I think of it as chiefly science fiction.
Things to Come (1936).

Speaking of District 9, I recently watched Chappie, which is the latest from the same director. Although it was pretty much panned, I thought it was really good. I especially liked Shartlo Copley's voice and motion capture work for the title character. He was also the lead in District 9.

Another I really liked was The Edge of Tomorrow. Sometimes Tom Cruise does really good Sci-Fi.

Sorry this isn't a list... I'm not good a lists.

I too liked Chappie. WTF do critics know anyway. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
View attachment 1122107 View attachment 1122108 View attachment 1122109

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
STAR TREK (I take them as one series of a great movie)
BLADE RUNNER (1982)
STALKER (1979)
THE FLY (1958)

I know you want only 5, but I love the following very much too:
GATTACA (1997)
TOTAL RECALL
ALIENS (the first one)
THE MATRIX
INCEPTION

Five was pretty much an arbitrary lazy choice on my part. Could have said ten which in turn would've required more thought and typing on my part. There would've also been numerous movies vying for the tenth spot just like there is for fifth. :)

That almost made my list. It's a perfect summer film and good sci-fi too. When I had my Advent projection TV set up I used this film to demo it.

One thing that rig did great is render green in spectacular fashion and Predator showed that off.

Comedic relief
Mars Attacks! ack ack, ack

OT but Mars Attacks nearly made my list. It's more of a goof though and watched for a laugh. We usually pair it with Idiocracy or similar. However... It figured prominently in our Halloween display last year. My wife gets 99% of the credit, all figures were scratchbuilt by her. I did the A/V which is easy comparatively. We had ~30 kids crammed onto our 8x6 landing and spilling into the yard at one point not wanting to leave. Not sure what we're are going to for Halloween next after this one -

QR6od7o.jpg

iOcO5WJ.jpg

CDQKvsM.jpg

My all time favorite is still "War With the Worlds" 1953(I think). In it's day it was better than anything made in the last 40 years. A breakthrough movie for the 50's.

For me there are three that stand above the rest, chronologically they are:

Forbidden Planet
Blade Runner

Then: Primer

After that it could be a good scrap between Arrival, 12 Monkeys/La Jetée, The Man Who Fell To Earth, pretty much all versions of The Thing, Inception, THX1138, The Andromeda Strain, Five Million Years To Earth/Quatermass and the Pit....

There is more but :D
Forbidden Planet (1956)
The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
Metropolis (1927)
When Worlds Collide (1951)

Took these four from your list, which also contains a couple I've not yet seen.

For my money, "The Day The Earth Stood Still" is the best ever.
Invasion of the body Snatchers (1956) would make five total.

Separately, I also thought of Alex Proyas's "Dark City" and
Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" though I'm not sure either
is technically "Science Fiction"...

Back
Top Bottom