What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

It des power up too true bro.
And no smoke ever. More than can be said others.
No smoke. No sizzle. Maybe worth keeping? I'm a love em and leave em amp lover truth be told... Until I find a good shop..
Move on to the next best thing.. Aint got the storage space.

No flames,...OK. :D Just sayin' and you probably know this already,...

Sometimes one must take into consideration the cost & price of repair of these older rigs even when they work fine and are dirt cheap. For me, I like to open 'em up, clean 'em out, poke around to find the weak link or be a potential future problem or repair. I like to be proactive on these things. Your Pioneer seems to have been working fine for you but probably needed a few parts swapped out sooner rather than later.

Again, no flames but what you are describing here is 'an appliance operator' (in some circles). If it breaks, chuck it, shoot it, etc and get a new one. If you play with the older gear then education or knowing how to fix it is quite important for lifelong service. Otherwise, you're gonna have a closet full of boatanchors that will frustrate you and suck you dry in the wallet.

YMMV, FWIW, 2 cents, etc etc etc, :blah:

Good fellow AK brother!

I see the new avatar,...
Yep... And God bless David Gilmore and PF. And look at that Stack! How good did THAT sound?
114852679-d65cc1b1-3b9d-4899-9502-fc12539037bc.jpg

40 years later,...

unknown_wide-c3661ae450f480bb7a2d1facd6215b58dd29f76b-s900-c85.jpeg

No flames,...OK. :D Just sayin' and you probably know this already,...

Sometimes one must take into consideration the cost & price of repair of these older rigs even when they work fine and are dirt cheap. For me, I like to open 'em up, clean 'em out, poke around to find the weak link or be a potential future problem or repair. I like to be proactive on these things. Your Pioneer seems to have been working fine for you but probably needed a few parts swapped out sooner rather than later.

Again, no flames but what you are describing here is 'an appliance operator' (in some circles). If it breaks, chuck it, shoot it, etc and get a new one. If you play with the older gear then education or knowing how to fix it is quite important for lifelong service. Otherwise, you're gonna have a closet full of boatanchors that will frustrate you and suck you dry in the wallet.

YMMV, FWIW, 2 cents, etc etc etc, :blah:
That's the best advice I heard all day Lax. Too much junk.Why keep a 40lb receiver around for the 50 watt amp section?
It's too much certainly more than I have the infrastructure to handle.
I got boxes tho. And tape. Open to anyone that can be recommend to send an amp or two out to for repair.
Local NorCal shipping preferred. Call it an AK plea for advice here!

Ahh feel better calmed already digging around and finding the motherlode 3. Where to start?
View attachment 1122437
The obvious choise of course! What anoyone would play on a something else that seems to last forever; The Dual turntable,
German engineering or 4man bobsled and curling finals in the 2018 SK oly's.
View attachment 1122439 .
Hey checkit out too.
Pretty satisfied with the 3/8 oak wood veneeer i ripped at work leftovers, chopped, routed, sanded, stained, screwed and glued with to replace the crap 1977 MDF on the plinth.
Non hardening pottery clay a lb or 2 for inside trim later. Great table. WAY complex under the hood electronics. Even I can't kill a Dual (or Technics)
View attachment 1122440
I gotta get plinthing. Long ago I wanted a Garrard Zero 100SB. It was advertised as having a teak finish. I found one a couple years ago. It's fake teak vinyl.

Just got home with my three Bowie LPs -- Low, "Heroes", and Station to Station. I strongly recommend these copies to anyone who needs to update the Bowie section of his or her LP collection. These are excellent, faithful reproductions of the original Parlophone LPs. They come with a rice-paper-and-plastic inner sleeve as well as a replica of the original white cardboard "Made in England" sleeve. They also include the extras -- a sheet (on good thick bond) of liner notes and a "David Bowie Official International Fan Club" leaflet.

Have only had a chance to listen to part of Low so far, and the sound quality is very impressive.

If you don't have these, buy them! My copies were under $20 each.

Last edited:
Alright, lets make it easy. Come from a different angle.
What's the most kick ass amp one could use to listen to Ozzy and Zepplin on a hard to drive pr like this?
This amp has to be Infiinity 4Ohm-proof @ 100db, for hours at a time with UFO damnit....
And clean. or more tweeters and amps blow. And then the party's just over man.
View attachment 1122528
Maybe try a KRELL or BOULDER? :D

Just got home with my three Bowie LPs -- Low, "Heroes", and Station to Station. I strongly recommend these copies to anyone who needs to update the Bowie section of his or her LP collection. These are excellent, faithful reproductions of the original Parlophone LPs. They come with a rice-paper-and-plastic inner sleeve as well as a replica of the original white cardboard "Made in England" sleeve. They also include the extras -- a sheet (on good thick bond) of liner notes and a "David Bowie Fan Club" leaflet.

Have only had a chance to listen to part of Low so far, and the sound quality is very impressive.

Sounds like you had a good day! :thumbsup:

Just got home with my three Bowie LPs -- Low, "Heroes", and Station to Station. I strongly recommend these copies to anyone who needs to update the Bowie section of his or her LP collection. These are excellent, faithful reproductions of the original Parlophone LPs. They come with a rice-paper-and-plastic inner sleeve as well as a replica of the original white cardboard "Made in England" sleeve. They also include the extras -- a sheet (on good thick bond) of liner notes and a "David Bowie Official International Fan Club" leaflet.

Thanks for supplying a piece of the jigsaw puzzle I'm about to embark on. I was listening to Philip Glass' "Low" Symphony last night, which is based on the works of David Bowie and Frank Zappa. I had intended to track down the pieces that he based it on. To me, Bowie was a singles artist who was rarely out of the UK charts, and I never bought any of his albums. "Low" might be a good place to start.

Thanks for supplying a piece of the jigsaw puzzle I'm about to embark on. I was listening to Philip Glass' "Low" Symphony last night, which is based on the works of David Bowie and Frank Zappa. I had intended to track down the pieces that he based it on. To me, Bowie was a singles artist who was rarely out of the UK charts, and I never bought any of his albums. "Low" might be a good place to start.
There's no suck thing as a bad Bowie album, other than the one double live from '81 I ended up with somehow. Uninspiired

Still listening to this album. 2nd time thru
The clarity of the sitar after the chorus, the cymbals, dynamic range, the title track
are reference points to a dynamically ideal sounding cartridge and needle setup
Stuff you'd use to ride your bike to the stereo shop just to hear the "good stuff"
The whole album, a top 20 classic for me for sure..
steppenwolf monster.jpg

His so-called Berlin Trilogy (Low, Heroes, and Lodger) is fantastic. Each LP in that trilogy is a true full-length artistic work as opposed to a singles-oriented record. Scary Monsters, which followed Lodger, is also great.

Around 1975 through 1979 or so is where Bowie is the most interesting, for me. He was always experimenting. These LPs have great instrumental contributions from Eno and Fripp, among others.

Back
Top Bottom