Tekton Owners Thread

Does anyone know what woofer is used in the Lore Reference? Just very curious about these. Thanks.

From what I recall, it is custom made for Tekton by Eminence. Eric used to have some info on it in his blog but I can't seem to find the post anymore. The bezel and surround look similar to the alpha and beta 8 but the cone and dust cap are clearly different. Who knowns about the spider, motor, etc...only Eric and Eminence I'd guess.

If I had to bet I'd say the motor and voice coil are more robust than the alpha or beta 8 as Eric's spec'd power handling for the Reference is double that of the m-lore.

Thanks. Eric is getting great performance from them which makes me want to experiment. Bwahahahaha

Were you looking to buy the drivers and try to build something with them? You could give the Beta 8 a shot. I also thought it looked like a pretty solid driver for DIY.

From the video there 15 ohm 10W resistors. A bit hard to see but that is a ohm symbol at the end of 15.

Zero Fidelity does outline the method in the comments.
Quote: "Sure. Step 1) Reach out to Tekton and procure a set of resistors.
2) Once the resistors arrive, you should then remove the screws that secure the bottom midrange drivers on each speaker.
4) Gently pull each woofer from the cabinet, just enough to where you can access the back of the woofer.
5) Take the resistors and install them between the positive and negative terminals on the back of the woofer (where the wire is soldered into place).
Note: If the resistors come with pre-installed clips (which may cost a small amount of $, as it will take time for them to do this), all you have to do is clip them in place (positive side of the resistor to the positive side of the wire terminal on the back of the woofer, and negative to negative). If the resistors do not come with pre-installed clips, then you will need to either make the clips yourself or solder the resistors onto the back of the woofers. Either way, once the job is done, you simply screw the woofers back into place and then boom - you're done."

I thought I read that putting a resistor across the terminals could change the impedance that your amp might see, so last night I tried putting a mills 15 ohm resistor across the terminal on each of the lower mid range drivers and the ohms did not change at the binding posts. around 3.3 ohms.
Will see how it goes. It does sound a little different now. I only tacked them on while I wait for a reply from Tekton. :)

Also Eric did a post in the comments too of that Video.
Eric Alexander
1 month ago
Call us directly with your DI serial numbers in hand.

Interesting, so it may be only a mod for one of the mid drivers in each speaker. That would definitely have a subtle effect. By the way, the steps by Zero Fidelity mention installing the resistors using a positive and negative orientation. However, resistors have no polarity so it doesn't matter which way they go. Thanks for sharing this! :music:

Another mod I did was replacing the Clarity Cap section with Jantzen Superior Z-Cap capacitors and a Duelund bypass cap. (2x Supreme caps, a 0.68uf and 15uf in each speaker plus placing the bypassing on the 15uf cap)
Not a cheap mod but there is a forum here in Australia where they have been playing around and discussing capacitors in crossovers and this combo was one the best in its price bracket. Better ones are available but price goes up.

I had some excellent Aussie speakers here and when I got the DI's, I just did not find them as transparent or have the clarity of my existing speakers.
Gave them over a 1000 hours but when ever I went back to the other speakers they just had that bit more to them.
After upgrading the Caps in the DI's, it was great upgrade and funny enough it was the mid-range that improved quite a bit for me. Not saying the DI's where bad in anyway to start with, just not to the level of my other speakers. It was nice to have another excellent sounding speaker that I could swap over to for comparison.

I have changed Caps in other speakers with mixed results in the past (but never used a bypass cap of this price) and was not expecting the great results I was getting.
I was after the DI's for the extra bass output, which was nice in my existing speakers, but my room is quite large and the DI's where a welcome addition for the lower end.

Now this could all come down to my room and choice of components in my stereo and be very different for others with their own setups and rooms. My room has always been on the tame side when I put speakers in there.
Just thought I would mention it if others have tried something similar. I have some pics if anyone is interested but looks like I have to upload to a site first, then link that.

I for one would love to see some pics!!!!!!!!

Here are a few pics.

jHpkfUV.jpg

Original Clarity Cap to the Jantzen.

pR3VPxD.jpg

Original crossover before the new Capacitors.

UJEFdQT.jpg

One completed ready to go in.

zr8z9dl.jpg

Installed.

Last edited:
Here are a few pics.

jHpkfUV.jpg

Original Clarity Cap to the Jantzen.

pR3VPxD.jpg

Original crossover before the new Capacitors.

UJEFdQT.jpg

One completed ready to go in.

zr8z9dl.jpg

Installed.

Nice prep work! It looks like you glued the bigger cap to the inside of the cabinet wall for stability. Good idea! Keep us updated on your impressions over time. Thx!

Nice prep work! It looks like you glued the bigger cap to the inside of the cabinet wall for stability. Good idea! Keep us updated on your impressions over time. Thx!
Thanks, but I did actually glue it to the board. Then decided the bit overhanging on the front to put more hot glue under it, so that it is to the cabinet at that end. :)

Hi, hopefully I can get some help asap.

I call Eric up to order some speakers and he recommended the Pendragon for me. I agreed but after taking some measurements I found out they are too wide so I need to choose another speaker. I'm torn between the Enzo XL and the Enzo 2.7. I listen to all types of music but mostly it's Stonerrock and not always recorded very well so while I want revealing speakers they need to be somewhat forgiving as well. As an example of the type of music here is a link to a song.

Please help as I need to make a decision in the next couple of hours. BTW, my budget is 2k

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi, hopefully I can get some help asap.

I call Eric up to order some speakers and he recommended the Pendragon for me. I agreed but after taking some measurements I found out they are too wide so I need to choose another speaker. I'm torn between the Enzo XL and the Enzo 2.7. I listen to all types of music but mostly it's Stonerrock and not always recorded very well so while I want revealing speakers they need to be somewhat forgiving as well. As an example of the type of music here is a link to a song.

Please help as I need to make a decision in the next couple of hours. BTW, my budget is 2k

Thanks
I can vouch for the Enzo XLs.
They are amazing speakers but they are only 3/8" narrower than the Dragons.

This is an interesting thread, many new/perspective owners pop in and seem to leave after 30 to 40 posts. Then the thread goes cold for a month. But not many negative comments other than the overwhelming number of choices offered on the Tekton website. Oh well, I was up late one night last weekend finishing up an 18 hour conference call and I placed an order for a set of Pendragons. They will arrive Friday. Worst case scenario I'll move them in as the fronts for the home theater setup. Best case scenario I'll have another set of speakers for the rotation on my music system :)

Last edited:
Arrived 2 days early and i have to say right out of the box the sounds is really nice. Lets see how my ears handle them for a few days before I give a review. But we all know how reviews are, everyone has one lol

But I will say one thing, these bad boys go LOW !!!!

IMG_3736.jpg

Last edited:
Arrived 2 days early and i have to say right out of the box the sounds is really nice. Lets see how my ears handle them for a few days before I give a review. But we all know how reviews are, everyone has one lol

But I will say one thing, these bad boys go LOW !!!!

View attachment 1154599

I'm sure you'll love them, I've had mine for over two years and have no desire to upgrade.

I'm powering mine with 45 wpc. tube amps and they can go to ridiculous volume and still maintain clarity, but with 400 watt Mac amps I can only imagine how great they would sound!

Well I've been playing around with placement and have them in a good spot now. I've been pumping music through them at a good pace to get them broken in. So far I've put 25 SACD's through them and have moved on to CD's. So far so good, I have seen where others have said they have a "live show" type sound to them and I can see where they are coming from. The vocals have a real "authentic" quality to them. It's the only way I can describe it. The vocals are just extremely believable.

Right now I'm just getting them broken in, going for 50 hours of CD's while I am doing other things. After that I'll start playing the Stevie Ray Vaughan QRP lp's.

So far they are really really nice to listen to at lower to medium volume levels, 80~89 DB range. But when I try to push them up into the 90's and beyond they just can't handle it, I can't get over 4 on the volume. But I'm still only about 75 to 80 hours into them. I'll give them more time before putting them into home theater use with 115 wpc.

Back
Top Bottom