Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Have you ever had a taste for something, and could not put your finger on what it is? Frequently, trying to satisfy the craving, leads to, "That's not it." When you are lucky enough to hit it, it "hits the spot." I have always wondered what that was. I have thought that, maybe, there is something that you need, and you are driven to get it. This happened to me yesterday, only I knew what it was. I grew up eating this, as it was food made normal during the Great Depression, and my grandparents, of blessed memory, continued to eat the foods they ate then.

I got a taste for this stuff, and I could not say no. Also, I could not wait the normal three days that this would normally take to make it. Instead, I decided to get corned beef that was already prepared. This is nowhere near as good as it would have been, had my beloved bride had made her world (should be) famous corned beef, from scratch. However, it definitely "hit the spot." I had to search all over town, before I found a grocery store that had corned beef on hand. I found Boar's Head corned beef, and had them slice it nice and thick for my purposes.

Here we go: Boar's Head corned beef (sliced in 1/4 inch thickness), Yukon Gold potatoes, sweet Maui onions, orange and purple carrots, savoy cabbage, fresh thyme, fresh dill, caraway seeds, sea salt, and fresh-ground black pepper.

After dinner, I still had room, so we had toasted mini-bagels, with cream cheese and strawberry preserves (sorry I had a bite).

Start.jpeg

Dinner.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Dessert.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

That looks really good! I like to drown my cabbage and taters in lotsa butter with a good helping of salt.
My part Irish wife always makes some for St Paddy's.
She doesn't do the onion though but last year I fried some up in butter to serve with the cabbage. Definitely kicked it up another notch.
She does hers in a slow cooker, then the veggies in the liquid after the meat is done.
It goes in the oven with a mustard/brown sugar glaze for a bit before serving. Lots of Reuben sammiches after that.
mmmm, mmmm can't wait

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Have you ever had a taste for something, and could not put your finger on what it is? Frequently, trying to satisfy the craving, leads to, "That's not it." When you are lucky enough to hit it, it "hits the spot." I have always wondered what that was. I have thought that, maybe, there is something that you need, and you are driven to get it. This happened to me yesterday, only I knew what it was. I grew up eating this, as it was food made normal during the Great Depression, and my grandparents, of blessed memory, continued to eat the foods they ate then.

I got a taste for this stuff, and I could not say no. Also, I could not wait the normal three days that this would normally take to make it. Instead, I decided to get corned beef that was already prepared. This is nowhere near as good as it would have been, had my beloved bride had made her world (should be) famous corned beef, from scratch. However, it definitely "hit the spot." I had to search all over town, before I found a grocery store that had corned beef on hand. I found Boar's Head corned beef, and had them slice it nice and thick for my purposes.

Here we go: Boar's Head corned beef (sliced in 1/4 inch thickness), Yukon Gold potatoes, sweet Maui onions, orange and purple carrots, savoy cabbage, fresh thyme, fresh dill, caraway seeds, sea salt, and fresh-ground black pepper.

After dinner, I still had room, so we had toasted mini-bagels, with cream cheese and strawberry preserves (sorry I had a bite).

View attachment 1121481

View attachment 1121468

View attachment 1121470

View attachment 1121471

Enjoy,
Rich P
And man that looks good. I was just talking about the LA Farmer's Market last night at coffee with the guys. Corned Beef will always be associated with Magee's Kitchen and my Aunt Lib's when I was a kid. Aunt Lib is long gone from this world. Magee's on the other hand is only an hour or so away.

I made this yesterday...and had enough left over for several more meals...
I guess it came out more like a beef stew because I cut the beef up into chunks.
But, I didn't want to mess with carving into it when it came time to serve.
Anyways, it came out totally delish!

index.php

CROCK POT ROAST

2-3 lb beef roast (I used a 2.5# Black Angus Beef Roast)
5-6 potatoes peeled and sliced into wedges
1 bag of baby carrots
1 celery stick chopped
1 medium onion chopped into fine bits.
2 packages McCormick brown gravy mix
2 cups water

Spray sides and bottom of crock lightly with a non-stick cooking spray.

Cut roast into chunks. Add to a 6 quart crock surrounding with the potatoes,

then the carrots, celery and onions. Mix 1 package of gravy mix with

1 cup of water and pour over ingredients.

Cover and cook at low setting for 8 to 10 hours total.

At the last hour mix the remaining cup of water with the second

pouch of gravy mix, pouring that over the roast and veggies,

covering and continue cooking for one more hour.

Attachments

• 100_0186.JPG
    100_0186.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 117
Southwestern Fusion

I made a nice pot of black beans today, and decided that I wanted to make a dinner that was as good as the beans.

First, a chunky guacamole: diced avocado, diced red onion, diced deep red Eclipse tomato, chopped cilantro, diced carrot, sea salt, fresh-ground black pepper, and fresh-squeezed lime juice. This was served with some nice corn tortilla chips.

Next, the black beans, ranchero style: back beans, diced onion, cubed beef bacon, cilantro, cumin, sea salt, fresh-ground black pepper, and California red chile powder. These were served with crumbled cotija cheese.

Next, green rice: rice, parsley, cilantro, minced garlic, minced onion, minced poblano chiles, and sea salt.

Next, cheese enchiladas: corn tortillas, filled with a four cheese Mexican cheese blend (Monterey jack, queso quesadilla, cheddar, and asadero). These were slathered with a nice, home-made enchilada sauce: pasilla and New Mexico red chille powders, tomato paste, minced garlic, olive oil, sea salt, fresh-ground black pepper, oregano, and cumin. These were topped with the same cheese blend and baked.

Next, chile rellenos: fresh poblanos, stuffed with Monterey jack cheese, and dipped in batter (egg, flour, sea salt, and baking powder), and deep fried.

Finally, Indian fry bread tacos: deep fried flat breads (flour, sea salt, baking powder, and milk), filled with ground beef, diced jalapenos, cumin, diced onion, tomato paste, New Mexico red chili powder, sea salt, and fresh-ground black pepper, and garnished with diced deep red Eclipse tomato and shredded lettuce.

Dinner.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Made General Tso's Chicken for lunch today....served on brown rice, of course... ;)

Tyson's crispy Tempura style breaded chicken chunks over boiled brown rice in a Corning Ware bowl and heated @ 375 for 17 minutes...then I poured Asian BBQ sauce mixed with sesame seeds and chili pepper flakes over the chicken....continue to bake for 5 more minutes...

index.php

Attachments

• 100_0187.JPG
    100_0187.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 91
Balsamic Glazed Steak Tips and Mushrooms

The steak was marinaded in a mixture of soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and Dijon mustard. The steak tips (flap meat to non New Englanders) were sauteed to medium rare then removed from the skillet. Mushrooms were added and the skillet was deglazed with a bit of white wine. Balsamic vinegar was added after the liquid was cooked out of the 'shrooms. Finally, unsalted butter was added off heat to give the sauce some glossiness. Steak added back to the skillet and tossed with the 'shrooms.

steak and shrooms.jpg

-Dave

InstaPot: Steamed Cod, Bok Choy, carrots and rice. Sesame oil and sesame seeds, green onions. Light but very tasty. A nice Chardonnay to wash it all down.

482B1452-1791-4D6B-900D-2408B5451BE4.jpeg

East Meets West

I loves me some fusion. This one was no disappointment.

First, Taqueria Style Pickled Jalapenos and Carrots: jalapenos, carrots, onion, garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, water, sea salt, ground Mexican oregano, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, and a bay leaf.

Next, fresh, hot, soft corn tortillas.

Next, roasted red sweet potatoes, served with black mole sauce (see below).

Next, Cantonese Soy Sauce Pan-Fried Noodles: mung bean sprouts, julienne'd scallions, dark soy sauce, mushroom-infused soy sauce, sesame oil, sea salt, sugar, sake, ground white pepper, Hong Kong style egg noodles, peanut oil, duck fat.

Finally, duck legs, sauteed to a golden state, then braised in orange juice and chicken broth, and served with a black Mexican mole and crema casera (Mexican table cream). The mole sauce: the orange juice/chicken broth braising liquid, sliced onions, sliced almonds, sliced garlic cloves, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, dried pasilla chiles, dried negro chiles, Mexican raisins, shaved strips of orange zest, Mexican oregano, and Mexican chocolate (has sugar and cinnamon). All of this is simmered together, then pureed smooth.

Dinner was washed down with fresh orange juice and vodka.

Dinner.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Two nights worth of dinners. Last night we had bean and lentil soup with ham hocks.

037.JPG

Tonight was a pork roast with oregano, olive oil, black pepper and salt. Side dishes were peas and carrots and Idaho mashed potatoes.

001 (2).JPG

Simple Fare

After all of the complicated meals we've had of late, I wanted to simply relax and enjoy something simple and tasty.

First, some nice steak fries, fried in beef tallow, recovered during the last batch of Vietnamese Pho I made. If beef tallow could make Mickey D's fries nice, I thought it could do that for mine, and it did.

Next, grilled (in beef tallow) sandwiches: Dietz & Watson pastrami and corned beef (grilled to a bit of caramelization in beef tallow), thin sliced sweet onions, sliced deep red Eclipse tomato, sweet clover & alfalfa sprouts, Maille Old Style mustard, and pumpernickel rye bread.

Dinner.jpeg

Close.jpeg

Enjoy,
Rich P

IMG_0864.JPG IMG_0865.JPG
Well tonight it was BBQ turkey wings and baked beans. Notice no bread. I've been cooking alot of rolls, biscuits, and whole loaves lately, and picked up a quick 5 lbs. Gonna have to lay off the bread a little while. Some kinda bread sure would have been good going through those beans. I cut the tips off of the wings and put them in a roasting pan. Poured a pint of a vinegar based BBQ sauce over them, covered with foil and roasted them in a convection oven at 350° for 1.5 hours. Then I put them on my grill at about 280° for another 45 minutes, turning twice and basting with a thick sauce. I was going to put this in the chicken thread, but it ain't chicken.

Back
Top Bottom