What was the last movie you watched?

"Lost In Translation" (2003)

This one kinda snuck up on me and left me gobsmacked....Bill Murray is a fading, middle-aged actor sent to Tokyo for a commercial shoot, where he strikes up an unlikely friendship with a young, neglected married woman (Scarlett Johansson). Their common bond is loneliness, which develops into a sweet relationship, not what you would typically expect to happen.
The chemistry between them is incredible, Bill Murray`s acting here is absolutely superb. Good stuff !
The actors and the director nailed this one.

Invasion of the Neptune Men (1961) MST3K version.

Incredibly awful Japanese movie about invaders from Neptune. It stars a young Sonny Chiba who later became a major player.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

neptune.jpg

Annihilation
on Thursday night. I've been waiting for this one since I saw the first trailer. Good movie - great actors and good CGI effects, but an oddly disjointed plot. It works, but you kind of have to just let it roll and not think too much about the science. I was hoping for more hard science, but got a more "Science is hard, man" vibe out of it. The things I'll put up with to see Natalie Portman...

One audio note - I don't usually pay much attention to details with the surround sound in theaters as it usually just works and sounds great. One song in this movie jumped out at me though because it sounded great - lots of sound stage with voices nicely separated to different channels. "Helplessly Hoping" from the 1969 album "Crosby, Stills & Nash".

Anyone read the book? Basically a meteorite hits the earth and things start changing in weird ways. Soldiers go to investigate and never come back. Scientists with nothing to lose decide to go into the area and see WTF is going on. Then it really gets weird. I want to see it again, but won't pay for it. That means waiting for it to hit Netflix someday. I might buy the bluray - will have to decide when it's available.

Last edited:
Daddy's Home 2 - Was not that good (IMO) there were some funny parts, but all in all just okay.

IMG_3169.JPG

Logan Lucky

Rednecks pull off big money heist

Watched it last night on Amazon Prime. Quirky story, but entertaining. The most interesting part was Hilary Swank as an FBI agent near the end. She put a good funny take on the singularly focused no nonsense agent.

The Human Duplicators (1965) MST3K version. Another Aliens try to conquer Earth by duplicating and replacing people movie.
The Androids are hilarious, one scene has an alien scientist installing the audio tubes in the android's head to which one of the Bots remarks: "Tube power? Must be McIntosh"
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Hunter's Prayer

I've not finished watching this one. It has a distinct 'Made For Television' feel. Very derivative. Not badly acted, but I feel let down by the directing. Watchable but nearly not so.

movieposter.jpg

Picnic (1955)
(William Holden, Kim Novak, Betty Field)

Emotions are ignited amongst the complacent townsfolk when a handsome drifter arrives in a small Kansas community on the morning of the Labour Day picnic. - IMDb

I sort of enjoyed this one pretty much, from Kim Novak being the bomb, to the acting of Rosalind Russell and Arthur O'Connell. In my opinion, if you can ignore the cheesy dramatic music during some scenes (which was typical stuff, I guess, during that period) and, if you can discount the acting job (or lack thereof) of William Holden, the movie was pretty enjoyable. You could say the rest of the cast saved the day.

What I can say is that I never tire of looking at Kim Novak up until the plastic surgery disaster. Poor lady.

Any whooo ... enjoy!

;)

"Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation" (2015)
Stars Tom Cruise, Simon ("Shaun Of The Dead") Pegg, Jeremy Renner, Rebecca Ferguson, Ving Rhames, Alec Baldwin

When the IMF is disbanded, Ethan (Cruise) and his team must apply their skills to defeat The Syndicate, a group of evil-doers who always seem to be one step ahead of the IMF.
Definitely formulaic in the usual "MI" sense, but with a few interesting twists to hold your attention. Overall, a pretty good chapter in the "MI" saga.

Written & directed by my friend Rich McQuarrie`s nephew Christopher, who also won a Best Screenplay Oscar for "The Usual Suspects".

Family Man

I didn't think I was going to like this one. The character Butler was portraying I had very little sympathy for. I felt no connection with the movie. The second half of the movie is where It drew me in. Not a life changing movie but a quiet achiever.

images

Valerian and the city of a thousand plants.

Maybe my expectations were set lower by bad press when it came out but I actually enjoyed it.
Dane DeHaan sounded way too much like Keanu Reeves at times but I liked the story and even though the starting seemed a bit long winded the movie overall didn't feel like 2 1/4 hours.

Back
Top Bottom