Yamaha B-2 crackling noise.

Yes,I have tried another speakers too.
you have a slow discharging capacitor (C223) or a "leaky" transistor. See Zaibatsu's diagram.

Did you replace C223? If yes, check polarity!!
Something keeps TR216 biased post shut-down or TR216 is faulty.

you have a slow discharging capacitor (C223) or a "leaky" transistor. See Zaibatsu's diagram.

Did you replace C223? If yes, check polarity!!
Something keeps TR216 biased post shut-down or TR216 is faulty.
C223 allready changed,but minute ago I checked it and replaced it second time,but nothing changed with crackling noise.

the beta and forward voltage describe characteristics of the device and will not necessarily tell you if the device is still 100% functional

Do you have a diode tester?

the beta and forward voltage describe characteristics of the device and will not necessarily tell you if the device is still 100% functional

Do you have a diode tester?
I have transistor tester and multimeter.

Attachments

• tester.jpg
    tester.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 18
I read your problem description again and it's not clear.
Do you mean that *after* you turn the unit off, you can still hear something from your speakers?
Or do you mean there's a crackling noise while the amp is on and you're playing music?

What happens if you are playing music (with a source/input attached) and turn the amp off while it's still playing - does sound continue to come from the speakers for a short time after you turn it off, or does it cut out instantly?

Also, what's the delay time before the relay clicks, when you turn the amp on?

I read your problem description again and it's not clear.
Do you mean that *after* you turn the unit off, you can still hear something from your speakers?
Or do you mean there's a crackling noise while the amp is on and you're playing music?

What happens if you are playing music (with a source/input attached) and turn the amp off while it's still playing - does sound continue to come from the speakers for a short time after you turn it off, or does it cut out instantly?

Also, what's the delay time before the relay clicks, when you turn the amp on?

Music playing normal,but in this moment,when I turn B-2 off,then I hear from speakers 1 second impulse(crackling noise...),this is only that moment,when relay cut speakers off instantly.
When I turn B-2 on,then relay clicks after 3 second.

So are you saying the relay stays engaged for 1 second *after* you turn off the power switch?
I'm guessing you have the relay cover removed and can watch the contacts as you turn the power off?

Just be aware that occasionally, transistors can measure fine on the tester (both the mini transistor tester and diode mode on multimeter) and be problematic under load. I agree with rottalpha, it's a good idea to try replacing these just to be sure.

Can you list the model of transistor used for TR216, 217, 218?

So are you saying the relay stays engaged for 1 second *after* you turn off the power switch?
I'm guessing you have the relay cover removed and can watch the contacts as you turn the power off?

Just be aware that occasionally, transistors can measure fine on the tester (both the mini transistor tester and diode mode on multimeter) and be problematic under load. I agree with rottalpha, it's a good idea to try replacing these just to be sure.

Can you list the model of transistor used for TR216, 217, 218?

Relay cuts instantly off,but in this moment I hear one second or less bad impulse(crack) of my speakers.
TR216 2sc1166
TR217 2sa842
TR218 2sa842

Whats the alternatives recommendation of these replacing?

Last edited:
If the relay cuts off instantly (with power switch off) - I don't think you actually have a problem here.
It's normal to hear a brief crack when the switch is turned off on any amp.

If you want to try substituting the transistors anyway though, you can use:

2SC1166 --> KSC2690
2SA842 --> KSA992

Keep in mind KSC2690 is a higher power device (w/ different package), be careful with its orientation. Someone may have a better substitute, but this is often suggested as a relay driver since 1166 can be a bit under-specced for the application.

I think it would be wise to wait for someone like @rottalpha to confirm this is OK.

Best wishes

Last edited:
If the relay cuts off instantly (with power switch off) - I don't think you actually have a problem here.
It's normal to hear a brief crack when the switch is turned off on any amp.

If you want to try substituting the transistors anyway though, you should be able to use:

2SC1166 --> KSC2690
2SA842 --> KSA992
I have service manual,there is writed TR217,TR218 must be 2SA763WL 4or5 ,but in my B-2 inside these 2SA842 ,maybe they wrong transistors?

I don't think it's wrong, they can be used interchangeably (equivalent part).

2SA763WL --> KSA992 also.

Please be very careful with pinout and orientation, you have a nice amp there.

If the problem persists, you should upload to youtube and post a video (with sound) of what's happening, to confirm if there is actually a problem or not.

Relay cuts instantly off,but in this moment I hear one second or less bad impulse(crack) of my speakers.
if your relay disconects instantly, then there is only a piece of wire between the relay and the speakers...nothing that would generate the crackling.

Tomorrow I will buy transistors,then will see,they resolve problem or not.

TR217,218 --> KSA1015
you could use KSA992. The KSA1015 has a higher collector current (Ic 150mA vs 50mA)

TR216 - KSC2690 works fine. There are other alternatives but this one will do just fine and it is way better for the job than the original driver.

Please be very careful with pinout and orientation, you have a nice amp there.

Like he said!

Back
Top Bottom