Kyocera DA-01 laser pickup drive belt

Marinmcgreev

Hello all,

I want to get my Kyocera DA-01 CD player running again. I have owned it for nearly thirty years and enjoyed viewing the disc rotating as it played. It stopped working about five years ago. I Took it to repair shop back then and they told me it was too old to repair. I put the player in careful storage ever since. I pulled it out today and it powers up and the disc starts to spin and all functions appear normal but it will not find a track. Same symptoms as five years ago. I thought it may be dirt in the laser so I pulled the top off the case thinking it would be full of dust and fuzz after nearly thirty years of use. To my surprise the inside is pristine but I found the drive belt missing. This drive belt drives the mechanism that moves the laser across the disc. The belt was in the bottom of the case, broken and very soft. It appears to be about 120 millimeters in circumference.

Does anyone know of a source to obtain a new drive belt?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Evan EA03E269-A49A-4FB2-9CA8-5447D9559331.jpegE726CFD2-80ED-4BDE-8ECE-5BD0DB64EE27.jpeg

I had a need for a drive belt, (to open the door) on my Cambridge Audio DVD89 player. I went to my local hardware store, and found an "O" ring that fit. It has worked fine for 2 years now. I know it was not an original equipment replacement, but it works.

Measure the inside diameter of both pulleys and the distance between them we can work out the correct length you need.

Measure the thickness of the old belt if you can- it'll be a square section, likely 1.2-1.6mm or so.

The unit is a classic, OEM'd to Akai, Tensai, Phase Linear, Micro Seiki by Kyocera. Yours will contain two original Philips TDA-1540 14 bit converters run at 4x OS in ceramic packages.

You said it stopped working 5 years ago- did the laser sled move back then with the FWD/BACK buttons (the red led moved across the display)? I have several of the Akai CD-D1s. They sound beautiful- when they work. :)

If you put a belt in and it doesn't work- DO NOT ADJUST anything- report back here.

Tell us where you are- there are plenty of belt suppliers all around the world.

Last edited:
It appears to be about 120 millimeters in circumference.

Possibly

2njeclv.jpg

The entire tracking mechanism is 1st generation bomb proof design.

The belt is for decoupling primarily the motor movements as it rotates in fits and starts during normal play. Basically, every few seconds or so it has a burst of rotation. The pulley drives a worm and spur gear/pulley with nylon 'dial cord' (like a tuner). The laser block is clamped to the cord and pulled along the twin shafts for tracking. Each and every brass pulley/guide needs careful lubrication (there's about 4 of them).

You need to ensure all parts of the tracking mech are spotless and lubricated appropriately where they need it.

Thanks for the info. I’m in the south eastern US. The laser sled did not move with the FWD or Back buttons when it stoped working back then. The belt is square cross section and very gooie and broken down. All the movements move freely. When installing the belt does the laser sled need to be in a specific position when first powering on? Does anyone have a service manual?

Thanks

The laser will (should) go home if out of position when you power up. To get the correct size belt, use a piece of string or fishing line. Wrap it around the pullys and overlap the end. Have someone cut through the part that is overlapped. Do it two or three times if you have any doubt. Measure the length. Some places say subtract 10%. I wouldn't if it is too tight, it will ruin the motor.

I've watched one of these in action (one of the other brand versions, which I checked out prior to selling it)... and talked to the tech that had repaired it. Bombproof is NOT the adjective I would have used based on my observations and his comments. Primitive and somewhat fascinating, yes - but that thing had more ways to fail (many of which it finds) than Carter had pills. It's something of a miracle that it worked as well as it did, in my less than expert opinion.

Contrast to the gen1 Philips swingarm designs, which are as close to bombproof as ever got built - again, my less than expert opinion.

But, it is a cool piece to watch working.

John

John, yes, I agree. Amazing it all worked, but regardless of the complexity in setup (takes half a day to do properly- trust me) and the completely discreet tracking and servo electronics, it is very well made and does sound good (Philips chipset, Japanese front end, TAOHs laser). A few little things they could have improved, but bear in mind, these were conceived and produced in the race to be to market first- it was crazy time.

Actually, the Kyocera machine had sent prototypes to all the manufacturers that were evaluating it, 6 months prior to the release of CD and prior to the Sony CDP-101 hitting the market.

I like it because it's from a time when a race was on. Some brands did it well, some dismally. Personally, I hate the Philips 1st generation machines- I've got a pile of them and they are primitive inside, poorly made and bodged up to be ready for market.

That said, I agree, the swing arm is elegant and the optics were beyond criticism.

The Sony CD-101 was accomplished from day 1. Hitachi were pretty good, as was Sanyo, but the rest were pretty bad, Matsushita included.

I've collected and restored many of the 1st gen machines and my favourite is the Akai D-D1 and the Sony CD-101.

All

Thank you all for your help and comments. A new belt was the fix. Works fine and sounds pretty decent for a thirty five year old first generation player. Such a nice, super mechanical, device. I love it. Below is a link to a YouTube video of the unit operating.

Thanks!

I cleaned and lubricated both the top and bottom rails and all gears. I used a synthetic, clear, grease. This made a big difference in the tracking of the unit. The beginning of songs are less prone to error. Hopefully this will be goo for another thirty years! I have listened to the player extensively over the last few days and have enjoyed it tremendously.

I moved my service manual request to the proper location. Apologies.
Thanks, Jim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom