Today's JAZZ playlist

Tony Allen - The Source -

TATS.png

Tidal 24/96

Wolf Eats Eric

Good morning gents.

Waking up to "The Alan Rock Show" on WUCF Orlando. What a hoot that guy is, but his Jazz picks are amazing.

Jazz Sunday is upon me. All day streaming.

All times converted to EASTERN for you guys.

Now - Alan Rock Jazz Show www.wucf.org
Noon - 2:00 PM - Sunday Jazz with Robyn Austin www.WUCF.org
2:00 - 3:00 PM - Jazz Night in America with Christian McBride www.wcbe.org
3:00 - 6:00 PM - Jazz Sunday with Jack Marchbanks and KC Jones www.wcbe.org
6:00 - 9:00 PM - Big Band Jazz Show with Glen Woodcock www.jazz.fm (CJRT Toronto)
9:00 - Midnight - Night Train Jazz with Ted Grossman www.wlrn.org

Have a great Sunday gents.

That was the first Miles Davis album I ever bought, picked it up at the head shop/record store when it was released. It was well played for the next few years and remains a favorite to this day. While one normally doesn't consider the Rolling Stone a viable source for jazz reviews/commentary, their brief but favorable review had a succinct comment that I feel gets to the heart of this recording. It was something along the lines of "...these guys have found a new way to cook...". As I've become very familiar with the albums that preceded Bitches Brew and those that followed it, that observation still makes sense to me. There is something totally new for the time with the pulse and feel of that recording.

It didn't take me long to start exploring Miles' back catalog either. Before he passed away, the late Ralph J. Gleason did a lot to promote not only Miles Davis but jazz in general in his writings for Rolling Stone magazine back in the early years. RJG's piece on Duke Ellington after he passed away helped pique my curiosity and got me to start exploring Ellington's music as well. Something I'm still doing today.

Sadly, I don't recall the first Miles Davis album I acquired. By that I mean physically purchased. I did bring albums home from the library and record them to reel to reel quite a bit before I really started to "collect" vinyl. I think my first Miles album that I recorded from library vinyl was "Milestones". But I can't be sure. My first Miles album purchased may very well have been "Kind of Blue" , but again, don't hold me to that.

Sadly, I don't recall the first Miles Davis album I acquired. By that I mean physically purchased. I did bring albums home from the library and record them to reel to reel quite a bit before I really started to "collect" vinyl. I think my first Miles album that I recorded from library vinyl was "Milestones". But I can't be sure. My first Miles album purchased may very well have been "Kind of Blue" , but again, don't hold me to that.

Yeah, the first Miles LP that I think I became aware of was "Milestones" which I borrowed from a good friend of mine, although I may have had one of the "Birth of the Cool" tunes on a Capitol compilation LP. "Milestones" was an amazing way to be introduced to Miles! The title song to me, is just one of the most amazing tunes.

Yeah, the first Miles LP that I think I became aware of was "Milestones" which I borrowed from a good friend of mine, although I may have had one of the "Birth of the Cool" tunes on a Capitol compilation LP. "Milestones" was an amazing way to be introduced to Miles! The title song to me, is just one of the most amazing tunes.

That's so true about "Milestones" The more I think about it, the more I "think" that "Milsestones" was my first "Vinyl" Miles albums acquired. The reason I'm getting that vibe is because I seem to recall that I wanted it in Vinyl because the library version I had borrowed and recorded was so scratchy. Good mental exercise for a Sunday morning. :)

Good morning gents.

Waking up to "The Alan Rock Show" on WUCF Orlando. What a hoot that guy is, but his Jazz picks are amazing.

Jazz Sunday is upon me. All day streaming.

All times converted to EASTERN for you guys.

Now - Alan Rock Jazz Show www.wucf.org
Noon - 2:00 PM - Sunday Jazz with Robyn Austin www.WUCF.org
2:00 - 3:00 PM - Jazz Night in America with Christian McBride www.wcbe.org
3:00 - 6:00 PM - Jazz Sunday with Jack Marchbanks and KC Jones www.wcbe.org
6:00 - 9:00 PM - Big Band Jazz Show with Glen Woodcock www.jazz.fm (CJRT Toronto)
9:00 - Midnight - Night Train Jazz with Ted Grossman www.wlrn.org

Have a great Sunday gents.
Ciao Billy :)

That's so true about "Milestones" The more I think about it, the more I "think" that "Milsestones" was my first "Vinyl" Miles albums acquired. The reason I'm getting that vibe is because I seem to recall that I wanted it in Vinyl because the library version I had borrowed and recorded was so scratchy. Good mental exercise for a Sunday morning. :)

Yeah, that whole album is so amazing. Red Garland on "Billy Boy", Trane and Cannonball together, Philly Jo's drumming, Chambers, Miles' style. I've got to listen to that again soon.

Last edited:
Do your parents count? ;) Mine had Basic Miles and I think Sketches of Spain also, which was among the jazz I heard growing up. Kind of Blue was the first Miles album I bought for myself, when I was fifteen or so. A friend of mine bought Bitches Brew when we were in high school in the late seventies and a bunch of us taped it onto cassettes, which is how we shared music in those days. It seemed cool at the time and still does. Nobody I knew was freaked out by it, like some of Miles' longtime fans supposedly were. But we were young and didn't have all that history of listening behind us. I found a nice copy of Bitches Brew for next to nothing at a church rummage sale a few years ago so now I'm set again.

Yeah, that whole album is so amazing. Red Garland on "Billy Boy", Trane and Cannonball together, Philly Jo's drumming, Chambers, Miles' style. I've got to listen to that again soon.

The first Miles album I got was from a garage sale when I was in grade school, it was Miles at Carnegie Hall. The next one several years later was Bitches Brew, I couldn't figure out what happened, in my limited scope of time and understanding. One minute, So What, the next 'Runs the Voodoo Down', then he backed out of a concert that was going to see him play at in the early 70s, (his substitute was Jerry Butler and the Ice Men....PASS). I was off Miles for many years until I started to acquire some of his mid 50s stuff with Columbia. I'm not one to hold a grudge, but I'm still disappointed that he bailed on the concert. BTW: I did eventually catch Jerry Butler and the Ice Men during the early 00s, at a corporate function in ATL. I'll never know why the concert venue/promoter thought that IF you were going to see Miles, Jerry Butler would be a good substitute.

Do your parents count? ;) Mine had Basic Miles and I think Sketches of Spain also, which was among the jazz I heard growing up. Kind of Blue was the first Miles album I bought for myself, when I was fifteen or so. A friend of mine bought Bitches Brew when we were in high school in the late seventies and a bunch of us taped it onto cassettes, which is how we shared music in those days. It seemed cool at the time and still does. Nobody I knew was freaked out by it, like some of Miles' longtime fans supposedly were. But we were young and didn't have all that history of listening behind us. I found a nice copy of Bitches Brew for next to nothing at a church rummage sale a few years ago so now I'm set again.

I know my father had most of Miles' catalog up until about 1969 ish. I know he liked Miles but was not a true "fan" in that he had many other artists he listened to way more than he did Miles Davis. The music I most remember coming from his Den was Brubeck, Parker, Basie, Hines and Ellington.

I always preferred Reel over Cassette because I wanted more dynamic headroom and less hiss, but I did migrate to Cassette eventually for the sheer convenience and portability in the car. None of my friends and I shared albums in High School. College? Heck yes. But not High School. Not sure why. None of my High School friends would have listened to my Jazz collection anyway. It was all Rock back then.

Back
Top Bottom