What are the best 10 turntables under $4000

Thats not a bad thing at all, as that's 80% of your SQ form a table....Oh and we can help you spend money there too. ;)
Hah. I will now have to sell everything (except the Lenco) before I can spend too much more. I do have a tonearm kicking about though it is an average Denon one.

There is an awful lot of conjecture over what is best isn't there. An example. I have a Pioneer PL-300X that I bought new in the early 1980s. It's always performed well and, to my ears, sounds pretty good. Out of interest I looked for reviews on it. 'Very ordinary- waste of time - don't spend any time on it' etc. was the general response. I then looked for reviews on the PL-400 and got ' Decent turntable - well worth having'. Apart from the automatic functions they are the same machine. Same suspension system, same motor, same tone arm. The Pioneer Pl-L1000 linear tracker is said to be 'A master in it's class'. It uses the same chassis suspension system and basic motor design and control ICs as my PL-300. O.K. none of these machines have anything resembling wood on them, but because they are all built on suspended steel chassis systems, the plastic casings have little bearing on how they perform. In fact, you can (with a bit of care) actually run them without the plastic casings fitted.
Yes I have to be honest - something like a Mitchell Gyrodeck (which I always loved the look of) is a much higher quality machine than I own - but I think that quite a few of the 80s Japanese decks (pioneers, technics, JVCs etc) are actually a lot better than people think they are. The engineers were very clever and really put some thought into their designs. I think you have to spend a lot of money to buy a new turntable to match them (even though they are 40+ years old).

As always. You are a wealth of information. Thankyou. I might settle for a Moldova plinth to start with. See where we go from there. That is a great thing about this drive. You can do literally anything.

You will have to contact the Moldova builder, you should be able to find his contact info through his ad for Thorens TD 124 plinths, as he builds a lot of them. Through emails you can give him the info needed, and he can knock one out.

To be honest, it costs the same as Larrys work once its done. Larry built me a multi density one, whereas the Moldova builder wont, he only does a birch ply stack. However his piano gloss finish is beautiful! Larry does a nice job of satin finish with a wax rub, and its a traditional furniture finish. Both styles are beautiful, you just have to choose what you like. One other benefit is you get to talk to Larry through the process. The Moldova guy in not in contact till its done and shipping.

BTW, you got a great buy on that DP 75. They don't come up that cheap that often. You usually see them in the mid 700 range for the nice ones.

Regards
Mister Pig

There is an awful lot of conjecture over what is best isn't there. An example. I have a Pioneer PL-300X that I bought new in the early 1980s. It's always performed well and, to my ears, sounds pretty good. Out of interest I looked for reviews on it. 'Very ordinary- waste of time - don't spend any time on it' etc. was the general response. I then looked for reviews on the PL-400 and got ' Decent turntable - well worth having'. Apart from the automatic functions they are the same machine. Same suspension system, same motor, same tone arm. The Pioneer Pl-L1000 linear tracker is said to be 'A master in it's class'. It uses the same chassis suspension system and basic motor design and control ICs as my PL-300. O.K. none of these machines have anything resembling wood on them, but because they are all built on suspended steel chassis systems, the plastic casings have little bearing on how they perform. In fact, you can (with a bit of care) actually run them without the plastic casings fitted.
Yes I have to be honest - something like a Mitchell Gyrodeck (which I always loved the look of) is a much higher quality machine than I own - but I think that quite a few of the 80s Japanese decks (pioneers, technics, JVCs etc) are actually a lot better than people think they are. The engineers were very clever and really put some thought into their designs. I think you have to spend a lot of money to buy a new turntable to match them (even though they are 40+ years old).

I agree. The Sony PS-X5 in my sig really surprised me when I got it home and put it in the system. $50 ($150?... don't remember... it was cheap) sounds like way more than that. I put the goldring on it once and it sang almost as well as the MMF-5 which is way newer. I just worry that once something breaks, it's a paperweight.

My refurbished PL630 see use daily. I think mainly because it let you be a bit laxidasical. I would die for a new DD table. Mabey in the distant future. Had 6 up and running once. Down to 2. The difference wasn't worth the price IMO and every time I touched the 4500$ unit I winced.

Thank you for explaining the string drive. Wasn't aware of that, and did wonder how the belt was so very thin.

As for someone calling that "expressiveness" I would have to say it would drive me crazy. My records I own that are off-center, even a little, destroy the listening experience for me.

Can't help it, perfect pitch can be a pita.
My 2017 audio resolution was to acquire a TT that kept a steady speed. I ended up with a Technics SP-25, and was surprised one day to hear a lot of notes slightly off pitch. Surprised enough to get up off my butt and observe that the record was significantly off-center. A chain is as strong as its weakest link.

Musicians call it rubato — "expressive freedom by a slight speeding up and then slowing down of the tempo of a piece at the discretion of the musician."

Not at the discretion of the turntable.
Hey, wow & flutter are the anti-Autotune! And the anti-drum-machine too! ;)

Nobody has listed 10 yet?

Let's talk new, available, in stock and ready to ship.

Here you go:

Technics SL-1200GR, $1699
Merrill Gem Dandy, $1795
Pro-Ject RPM 9 Carbon, $2499
Clearaudio Concept, 2500
EAT C-Sharp, $2995
Rega RP8, $2995
Mitchell Gyro SE, $3390
Acoustic Signature WOW SL, $3799
Townshend Audio Rock 7, $3900
VPI Prime, $4000

I suspect nearly any one of these turntables would give satisfactory results. There are, of course, many others that may be just as good.

The Pro-Jext Xtension 10 I just bought sounds pretty good to my aging ears. It doesn’t have to be vintage to be good.

Nobody has listed 10 yet?

Let's talk new, available, in stock and ready to ship.

Here you go:

Technics SL-1200GR, $1699
Merrill Gem Dandy, $1795
Pro-Ject RPM 9 Carbon, $2499
Clearaudio Concept, 2500
EAT C-Sharp, $2995
Rega RP8, $2995
Mitchell Gyro SE, $3390
Acoustic Signature WOW SL, $3799
Townshend Audio Rock 7, $3900
VPI Prime, $4000

I suspect nearly any one of these turntables would give satisfactory results. There are, of course, many others that may be just as good.
Question, it looks like every table you posted has a factory chosen tone arm and cartridges. How does lack of choice make anything best?

IMHO when one is able to advance past used ready built factory consumer tables of yesteryear, and have the funds to do so. The last thing they should get is ready built factory consumer tables of today at 20 times the cost.

The whole beauty of manual tables is you can build them your way with the best parts. Why wast money on arms and cartridges that are sub par just because thats what these companies do, they got to make their money somewhere.

I know it can still be tough fitting in at the $4000 mark some of the best stuff, but a Gyro deck with a Techno arm (Rega RB202) and a sub $300 MC is not the best, it's a compromise at the most important components.

Trigger finger just got scratched!

I'll have to buy a plinth although I already have a tonearm. $600 for the Denon 75 was just too much to resist. If it can hang with the other tables mentioned in this thread then it's an absolute bargain and will give me more money for tonearms and cartridges. Thanks all!

Congratulations. You have acquired a lovely piece around which to build a top performing system. These are truly great drives.

Question, it looks like every table you posted has a factory chosen tone arm and cartridges. How does lack of choice make anything best?
Good points. But I'm pretty sure the Merrill and the Michell have tonearm options, and that most of the others are available without a cartridge. I didn't read the question as requiring a cartridge within the budget.

I think the OP made a smart move. A known good motor platter assembly that will make a great platform once plinth, tonearm, and cart are choosen. Honestly depending on what arm/cart/plinth he adds to the picture it will be as good as most anything suggested here, or at least close. He has a lot of room left in his budget for finishing his table.

I think the OP made a smart move. A known good motor platter assembly that will make a great platform once plinth, tonearm, and cart are choosen. Honestly depending on what arm/cart/plinth he adds to the picture it will be as good as most anything suggested here, or at least close. He has a lot of room left in his budget for finishing his table.

Thanks Ken. I'm quite excited about this. At the moment I have a Denon universal tonearm from the late 70s and a Denon 103R cart which should be adequate until I upgrade and I think those two play reasonably well together. I know very little about tonearms as all the record players I have had used something integrated. I'm not in any rush. I want to make sure I put all the pieces together properly and match the arm to cartridge. This will mean quite a lot of reading and research in the future, which I don't mind at all.

I've seen quite a few plinths on the Bay for this - a DK300, DK100 around the $500 mark, but I may very well go with something custom or even have a crack at making something myself. Not in any rush to do this either. When I get the drive unit I will check that it maintains correct speed with a phone app and perhaps look for a tech to go over and check everything is in good working order.

I have a buyer for the Technics SL-Q2 and I just posted quite a few audio pieces up on barter town. In the meantime I will be listening to the trusty Technics SL1200Mk2. I'll sell that last as I think it will by far be the easiest to unload.

Although this thread started life as something else. In the back of my mind I knew what I was really asking was for you all to goad me in to selling the stuff I have accumulated and get something special that I can really enjoy. I'm pleased I have done it this way as it gives me time to research and not pony up the money all at once.

Good points. But I'm pretty sure the Merrill and the Michell have tonearm options,
Yes but the price was for a setup table, like a Gyro is $2700 without arm, arm board and no cartridge. But was priced at $3390 witch is supper cheap because the arm board is $100 so that price must have been with a Rega arm and not the $1100 Michell Technoarm.

If my budget is $4000 for a table it's got to at least have a SME 309 arm and a $600 cart so that puts about $2000 in arm and cart. You can get a lot more for your money though shopping around for high end used gear. I'v paid less for my SOTA Stars with SME Series V arm and cartridges worth $300 than the list price of a Series V alone.

Yes but the price was for a setup table, like a Gyro is $2700 without arm, arm board and no cartridge. But was priced at $3390 witch is supper cheap because the arm board is $100 so that price must have been with a Rega arm and not the $1100 Michell Technoarm.

If my budget is $4000 for a table it's got to at least have a SME 309 arm and a $600 cart so that puts about $2000 in arm and cart. You can get a lot more for your money though shopping around for high end used gear. I'v paid less for my SOTA Stars with SME Series V arm and cartridges worth $300 than the list price of a Series V alone.

I have to admit, I watched that video o yours several times over the years and it remains an impressive display of engineering on the part of that turntable no matter what the drive mechanism. Personally I am not a fan of belt or direct.. just of good sound no matter how it's produced.

. I know very little about tonearms as all the record players I have had used something integrated.
We can help with that also
I want to make sure I put all the pieces together properly and match the arm to cartridge.
I generally just try and hit the middle and for the most part, most arms are medium mass anyway.

Although this thread started life as something else. In the back of my mind I knew what I was really asking was for you all to goad me in to selling the stuff I have accumulated and get something special that I can really enjoy. I'm pleased I have done it this way as it gives me time to research and not pony up the money all at once.

This is all a good plan of attact and will make your life a lot easyer as well as a bump on sound quality.

Back
Top Bottom