Do any Kappa owner have the means to generate a Polydome impedance curve

Could the slightly higher impedance be from the speakers resonance frequency?
If you compare the graphs, you'll see that the resonant frequency (the early peak) of the Millersound-repaired Polydome falls in between those of the other two.

This article gives some pointers on reading an impedance curve.

Does anyone want to go in on paying for 3D scans of original polydomes? With some basic measurements we should be able to replicate the originals with a contemporary material that will not degrade. We need overal shape, mass and thickness.

Intriguing proposal. However I'd bet there will be more to it than just that. The 'material' in question will be so very hard to match to the original in character, and there will be more variables than shape, mass, and thickness. Don't mistake me, I'm interested and hopeful about the prospects. But my guess is that it will take a lot of trial-and-error listening, with various materials, before a solution is found--if one is found. We don't even have an original, unaged polydome to use as a reference. It'll be a task.

Intriguing proposal. However I'd bet there will be more to it than just that. The 'material' in question will be so very hard to match to the original in character, and there will be more variables than shape, mass, and thickness. Don't mistake me, I'm interested and hopeful about the prospects. But my guess is that it will take a lot of trial-and-error listening, with various materials, before a solution is found--if one is found. We don't even have an original, unaged polydome to use as a reference. It'll be a task.
I'm hoping that we can find an existing midrange that sounds similar enough. That's why I wanted the impedance graph in the first place - it's one thing to say a driver is 4Ω, but when you've got a complex crossover like Infinity used in the Kappa series, it's more than just comparing the nominal impedance - you need the impedance around the crossover frequencies to be pretty close. I'm not an expert on either enclosure or crossover design, but I suspect the crossover was designed specifically with the Polydome's impedance curve in mind (that is, the crossover was designed after all the drivers were in place).

Now luckily, the Polydome's curve is fairly simple, with the impedance relatively flat after the resonance frequency, and then a gentle rise starting around 2-3khz. I'd bet that there are other mids out there with a similar curve, we just need to find them. Personally I don't care if the physical fit isn't correct, I have no problem cutting a sub-baffle for mounting (although I don't want to modify the actual cabinet).

I hear you...I guess it'll be trial and error. Every little variable can and will affect SQ.

We've all seen various polydome replacements for sale here and there, and some people have even butchered their baffles and installed cone mids, but that would not be me. Just last week I saw another dome on the Bay which I wondered if people have tried yet. Ack, now that I look I see it's just Midwest and ScanSpeak. Those are accounted for I believe. I'm tempted to try a couple of them just to see if I can live with the sound. Even though my own (original) domes are intact and functioning well.

We need a master thread for this topic. ETA: Now looking I can see I've been here before. I told my younger sister I thought I might be getting early-onset Alzheimer's and she said "Whaddya mean, 'early onset'?"

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....n-replace-the-polydomes.809006/#post-11299824

Last edited:
We need a master thread for this topic. ETA: Now looking I can see I've been here before. I told my younger sister I thought I might be getting early-onset Alzheimer's and she said "Whaddya mean, 'early onset'?"
Yup, sme here. I've probably participated in almost every polydome thread that's been posted in the last 5 years, if not longer. Unfortunately it doesn't seem as if we're any closer to a solution. That's why I started this one - at least now we have measurable characteristics to look for.

Just be aware. If you ever have any shipping damage from Millersound, you will have to go through UPS and have them address it. I have gotten some very odd emotional emails from multiple people at that business when my polydome mount plate was cracked in transit. They really did not want to hear about it and hold me totally responsible. Very strange. Very unfortunate.

email I received today from William Legal

To:Brett McConnell <####@yahoo.com>
Sent:Wednesday, April 25, 2018 12:41 PM
Subject:"Claim" went out

$180 “claim” was mailed to you today.

Someone brought to out attention the audiokarma comments from you. As you don’t like our work, we won’t have to worry about further shipping “claims” in the future.

———————-

this was my reply

Hello The Many People Who Answer At And Reply From This Email Address (this email feels like its from Mr. Legall if I am not mistaken):

I made no comments about not liking your work. I did much research including buying other drivers and testing them before I sent you my Polydomes. I think your work isexcellent.However your business practices seem very confused. Here are some suggestions that may help:
1) Keep business and personal emails separate--as in separate addresses.
2) Give everyone at your business their own email address.
3) Sign your emails or employ auto signing so customers have some idea who they are speaking with via email.
4) If you are closed on Sundays and Mondays, don’t read business emails on those days (instead of telling customers not to write you on Sundays and Mondays...I have never heard of that or experienced it from other companies, businesses.)
5) Pick up the phone and call customers if there is an issue.
6) Have a standard form customers fill out when submitting an item for repair or refurbishment.
7)Before starting any work on an item,check items that come in for any potential issues and check with the customer if there is any question that an item may have a defect or problem that the customer may not know about. This valuable business practice would have averted this unfortunate situation.
8) If a problem occurs you are the professionals, act professionally and get in touch with the customer. People sending you their valuable speakers understand some things are out of yours and their control and both sides can be reasonable when settling an issue I assure you.

Sending condescending emails about "claims" and emails all in caps exclaiming things like "NO CRACKS!!!!" is hardly what grownups do and is certainly not professional.I would notintentionally crack a rare Infinity Polydome driver that I sent to YOU--A SPECIALST--for repair, just so I could get $180 discount.I love my speakers! And what a pain it has been to deal with UPS.

We could have just come to some sort of agreement instead of emails from you saying "NO CRACKS!!!! I AM DONE." Not professional, not adult.

Please know those Polydomes were the very first piece of audio gear I have ever sent out for repair--EVER.

I will surely post this message on Audiokarma as well. People should know who and what that they are getting involved with when they send their precious speakers to you and your company and how you handle shipping damage when it occurs.

Thanks for your excellent Polydome refurbishments. I currently have two sets that function well, just one driver with unfortunate, mostly-cosmetic damage. I will enjoy them for many years to come.

Best to you and yours.

Thanks,
Brett
http://www.brettmc.com/

With all due respect, please lay off attacking Bill. He is an amazing resource in a space lacking resources. He is not getting rich doing this service to the Infinity community. When he is gone there will be no one else.

I do not doubt his abilities, commitment nor product. But as for ‘attacking’ I am merely sharing exactly what I experienced and two emails I have received.

Last edited:
I guess I am not allowed to post my negative experiences with Millersound. They keep being deleted.

I guess once you are ‘in the club’ you are infallible and other forum members experiences are less relevant.
Your posts are still up. What are you referring to? (I've never dealt with Millersound, I've just heard of many happy results from other AK members)

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=TjNlemFUMWR2WWJyUnhSVU5FMEt6cFU5bmRCWndB

This the damage received in shipment. Mr. Legall stated via email that there was a small chip on one of the mountplates before he started to work on them. It’s very possible I did not see that before I sent them or they were damaged when I shipped them to Millersound. However, what I received back was clearly cracked.

Oh well. Sorry to be the first guy to have a problem in my dealings with Millersound.

This post is meant with all due respect . You say this is the very first driver you have ever shipped for repair ..How did you pack them when you shipped them to Bill ? With drivers like this with heavy clunky magnets , its all important how they are packed .In previous life I had an internet business where I made and shipped large custom picture frames ( with glass) When I sent my woofers to him they were in tenuos shape ( could not remove face plates ) so I packed them like little babies by cutting and stacking foam core supports to ensure safe delivery . When I spoke to bill prior to shipping he emphasized the importance of secure packing . My woofers came back in perfect shape and sound better than ever . I am speculating that perhaps a crack might have been sustained by insufficient package protection . I would not hesitate to pack up my polydomes with said foam core support and send them to Bill . Then IF I heard anything that sounded as you describe I would call him that day rather than mention on ak . I understand your feelings . When I had my woofers done the only person I comuncated with was Bill . I for one am more than glad and relieved that hes still around to take care of patients . Thank yoy Dr LeGall

" first guy to have a problem in my dealings with Millersound " < I believe that is a true statement . I do not recal one single negative comment on this forum prior . Only comments I have read have been positive +

" first guy to have a problem in my dealings with Millersound " < I believe that is a true statement . I do not recal one single negative comment on this forum prior . Only comments I have read have been positive +

The drivers were packed well on both ends. And honest I do not know why they have been so upset about my UPS claim as I hope they sent the item with insurance, which means they are not even paying the claim...?

I do not blame them for the damage. Mr. L mentioned he saw a little nick or chip on the edge of the mount plate but just moved forward in repairing the dome.

I do not know where or when that nick or chip happened. But there appears to have been just enough play inside Millersounds packing that the right kind of bang or drop cased a good crack and compression of the broken piece behind the mount plate.

I would have been fine if they had said “sorry” and offered a discount on my next service. But two of the three people that answer Mr. L’s email told me to put a claim in with UPS. So that’s what I did.

And yes, for some reason Mr. L has been short and rather snide with me. I don’t know why. This is why I reached out here. I have never experienced anything quite like this and like I said, first piece of audio gear I have ever sent out for servicing. It was packed well. I move a lot and have gotten very good at packing.

I just wish none of this had happened. Mr. L’s work seems top-notch.

Back
Top Bottom