Small room speakers, what works for you?

Old Guy8

My Jazz buddy's: Cliff (RIP) & Cleo
Subscriber
I have an 11' x 12' bedroom that I've rotated vintage speakers through.( ADS L880, Ohm C2 upgraded, Canton Karat 200 & Plus XL, Advent one, NLA's. ) I can only get back 5 foot from them.IMG_20180308_163032.jpg
Best fit I've had is BA A100 series one's. With thier thin depth I can get an extra half foot back from them. Sound very nice for confined space. Mostly jazz at lower volume for me. Seas tweeters are silky and add the 10" for bass.
What works for you?

Last edited:
Infinity Modulus system for 27 yrs now lol, but I won't hesitate to use something larger. Currently running a pair of high gloss black Jamo C103's, waiting on a second pair in walnut ordered this morning. Canton Plus S especially if partnered with the passive Plus-C matching 12" sub. Look very similar to the Minimus 7 which I have several pair, but much better SQ and more robust bass.

I personally would go with smaller ADS speakers for that room size - L520s etc. In my bedroom systems, I go with much smaller speakers - Polk monitors, Paradigm Titans, KEF Codas, etc. But I mostly play at lower listening levels there.

I have a small system with B & W DM 602-s2s (my only "hornless" speakers) and they are pretty darned good for small spaces. In addition, they are 90dB so little power is needed.

Room acoustics are the most important option one can change to hear what their speaker choice is doing. Volume changes that drastically. Fill the walls with baffles. Shelves, cloths, furniture, anything to disrupt reflection and absorb of the soundwaves. Volume can not be had. Now you can judge your speakers.
We use to have a 24X28 room with a 5 piece band blasting away and it sounded great because the room was full of people.

I have a pair of M&K S1 Satellites and a Volkswoofer in the bedroom with a Carver C4000 and Yamaha amp, I'm very happy with the sound.

My current favorites:
#1: Canton GL-260 (w/a Canton AS85-SC subwoofer).
These are the speakers for my headphone/nearfield system,and I like 'em so much that they aint going anywhere,ever.
Even custom painted the cabinets OD green to match my Corsair C70 desktop PC case.

#2: JBL LX-22 (w/a Celestion S20 subwoofer AKA: KEF PSW-1150).
These are the main speakers for my bedroom 2.1 system,these are wall mounted on Pinpoint AM-40 mounts.
Pretty much the same deal here,I like them in this setting so much that they are'nt in danger of being ousted from their roosts anytime soon.

#3 Tie:
Delta Labs M-1 (AKA: ADS L-200 w/modded crossover).
Canton Plus S (looking for a Plus C passive subwoofer to go w/these).
These were supposed to be rotated with the Canton GL-260,but they're never gonna get a chance to prove theirselves in that rig.
But were I needing some small speakers for another system,I absolutely would use either of them in the blink of an eye.
Both are very nice sounding speakers.

Also use:
JBL LX-330 (rotate these with my other pair of LX-22 in my Sansui AU/TU-217 SE-80 rack rig).
Klipsch KSB 1.1 (currently in use w/my basement workbench system).
Minimus 7 / Minimus 7W (have a couple pairs of these being modded as we speak).
Optimus Pro7AV (one pair is used w/my BR 2.1 system mounted above my bed,the other pair are rotated with the KSB 1.1).
JBL 52t (currently in use w/my kitchen system).

Also have:
Infinity RS-125 (plans were to rotate these with the JBL 52t in the kitchen rig,but probably wont as I like the JBL's just fine).
Celestion Ditton 110 (available for rotation in ANY system).
Advent 3002 (available for rotation in ANY system).
Polk R-15 (available for rotation in ANY system).
Polk RT-3 (available for rotation in ANY system).
JBL MR-25 (available for rotation in ANY system).
Sony SS-B1000 (lost out to most all the rest of these speakers,so these are the bottom of my "small" speaker barrel).

There you go ~ FWIW

Bret P.

My current favorites:
#1: Canton GL-260 (w/a Canton AS85-SC subwoofer).
These are the speakers for my headphone/nearfield system,and I like 'em so much that they aint going anywhere,ever.
Even custom painted the cabinets OD green to match my Corsair C70 desktop PC case.

#2: JBL LX-22 (w/a Celestion S20 subwoofer AKA: KEF PSW-1150).
These are the main speakers for my bedroom 2.1 system,these are wall mounted on Pinpoint AM-40 mounts.
Pretty much the same deal here,I like them in this setting so much that they are'nt in danger of being ousted from their roosts anytime soon.

#3 Tie:
Delta Labs M-1 (AKA: ADS L-200 w/modded crossover).
Canton Plus S (looking for a Plus C passive subwoofer to go w/these).
These were supposed to be rotated with the Canton GL-260,but they're never gonna get a chance to prove theirselves in that rig.
But were I needing some small speakers for another system,I absolutely would use either of them in the blink of an eye.
Both are very nice sounding speakers.

Also use:
JBL LX-330 (rotate these with my other pair of LX-22 in my Sansui AU/TU-217 SE-80 rack rig).
Klipsch KSB 1.1 (currently in use w/my basement workbench system).
Minimus 7 / Minimus 7W (have a couple pairs of these being modded as we speak).
Optimus Pro7AV (one pair is used w/my BR 2.1 system mounted above my bed,the other pair are rotated with the KSB 1.1).
JBL 52t (currently in use w/my kitchen system).

Also have:
Infinity RS-125 (plans were to rotate these with the JBL 52t in the kitchen rig,but probably wont as I like the JBL's just fine).
Celestion Ditton 110 (available for rotation in ANY system).
Advent 3002 (available for rotation in ANY system).
Polk R-15 (available for rotation in ANY system).
Polk RT-3 (available for rotation in ANY system).
JBL MR-25 (available for rotation in ANY system).
Sony SS-B1000 (lost out to most all the rest of these speakers,so these are the bottom of my "small" speaker barrel).

There you go ~ FWIW

Bret P.
Got your Plus C right here, no affiliation.

Great little sub, picked up my first one many moons ago at a garage sale for $25 lol.

Screenshot_2018-03-09-02-17-01.png

Small room?

How about some very cool and classic:

Visonik Davids
Infinity Infinitesimals
EPI's
KLH 2-ways

....just to name a few

I will think of more

I have so many small speakers that they go in and out of rotation. Currently in the bedroom for the computer are Celestion 5 'subblemented' by a Def Tech 8 inch sub. Over the bed are 2 Infinitessimal IV also subblemented by a Yamaha sub. Other used and liked are Boston Acoustics CR67, Infinity Primus 140 and 150, Mission 760i, Burhoe Crimson, PSB Alpha Mini and yes these have all been subblemented.

Back
Top Bottom