If you're going to try to sell a Sansui G22000 for $3800...

As a seller I’d want the best possible pictures to show off what I’m selling.
As a buyer I’d like a poorly presented ad so as to be unappealing to others who would also be interested.

Why would a poor presentation keep others away if they are as interested as I am? Do you really think you're the only one thinking that?
And I'd still like to have a better idea what I'm buying if I'm driving a healthy distance.

Last edited:
Look, what negotiating tactics comes down to is how quickly the seller needs the cash. It's as simple as that. All these supposed tricks and secrets about getting a deal (driving distance, presentation, etc) can get thrown right out the window if the seller doesn't really need the cash for something else. How badly he needs to pay those bills, or needs to get his car fixed, or simply wants that new amplifier, dictates selling price FAR more than these trumped up ideas that have been posted here.
Thinking a poorly presented ad is going to ward away unwanted buying competition or enable you to use lack of detail about an item to get the price knocked down is naivety of the highest order.

As a buyer I’d like a poorly presented ad so as to be unappealing to others who would also be interested.
Bingo!
An ad on CL was up for a month with a crappy grainy photo. Could just make out what I thought was HK. Turns out it was an immaculate HK330!
Crappy photos do weed out the uninterested which could be the intention of the seller. Seller could be thinking if you are really interested, you will make contact regardless of photo quality.

Bob

Why would a poor presentation keep others away if they are as interested as I am? Do you really think you're the only one thinking that?
And I'd still like to have a better idea what I'm buying if I'm driving a healthy distance.

Right on. :thumbsup: Therefore I concur you should maintain your current strategy of not pursuing any gear that is presented in such a manner that does not meet your criteria.

Last edited:
All of my best grabs had nothing more than a model number and a price listed. I found it quite easy to contact the seller and go from there.

Good for you. What makes you think if the seller had posted 20 detailed photos of the item that it wouldn't have been the same outcome?
The fact that there was not much detail in the ads for the deals you got proves absolutely nothing.
The 1290s I bought 3 weeks ago there were two blurry too-closely-cropped photos, neither of which showed much of the speakers at all. The seller was asking $500. I offered $300 thinking for sure he would say no. He accepted because he "desperately needed the cash to get his car fixed." It had ZILCH to do with a poor presentation.
MAN you people are naive, dancing around your newfound prize thinking you've got the secret of negotiation tactics licked, when it's simply all just about how much the seller needs the cash.

As someone who for over 30 years (as in 31, not 300 :rolleyes:) has earned a living exclusively through buying and selling professionally, my experience says otherwise- on countless occasions.

Last edited:
Bingo!
An ad on CL was up for a month with a crappy grainy photo. Could just make out what I thought was HK. Turns out it was an immaculate HK330!
Crappy photos do weed out the uninterested which could be the intention of the seller. Seller could be thinking if you are really interested, you will make contact regardless of photo quality.

Bob

That's a nice story- makes it sounds like that's not even what the guy was selling and it was just in the background and you happened to notice it.

Good for you. What makes you think if the seller had posted 20 detailed photos of the item that it wouldn't have been the same outcome?
It may have been a different outcome but it's worked for me over the years
The fact that there was not much detail in the ads for the deals you got proves absolutely nothing.
In some cases it shows that people don't do their homework on various items. For example do you know what an Onkyo 508 or a Yamaha C4+M4 pairing is? The fellows in this area didn't which made it good for me.
The 1290s I bought 3 weeks ago there were two blurry too-closely-cropped photos, neither of which showed much of the speakers at all. The seller was asking $500. I offered $300 thinking for sure he would say no. He accepted because he "desperately needed the cash to get his car fixed." It had ZILCH to do with a poor presentation.
And you know this for a fact that his lack of interested buyers had nothing to do with a poorly presented ad? I find this difficult to believe
MAN you people are naive, dancing around your newfound prize thinking you've got the secret of negotiation tactics licked, when it's simply all just about how much the seller needs the cash.
Apparently you need the well written and photographed ad's. Proper marketing has everything to do with better sales; one needs to look no further than Bose for proof of that.

As someone who for over 30 years (as in 31, not 300 :rolleyes:) has earned a living exclusively through buying and selling professionally, my experience says otherwise- on countless occasions.

Are you ever going to tell us what your reasonable driving distance range is?

And you know this for a fact that his lack of interested buyers had nothing to do with a poorly presented ad? I find this difficult to believe

I called about them one hour after they were posted, so for all I know no one else had actually seen the ad. I have no idea. What I DO know is that usually, if a seller gets a response that soon after posting an ad, it tips him off that there will be a lot of interest so keep the price firm. This guy didn't hesitate to accept a $300 offer. He needed the cash.

makes it sounds like that's not even what the guy was selling and it was just in the background and you happened to notice it.
Ad stated- Stereo with A track and speakers. The "A" track turned out to be a mint condition 8 track player with real wood case. Not really worth a whole lot but just too cool so I snagged that to.
Bob

Reasons a seller will negotiate price:

1. Needs the cash
2. Needs to clear out space (hoarding)
5.Doesn't realize what he has
9. Buyer drove a long distance and seller feels sorry for him
12. Poorly presented ad

Ad stated- Stereo with A track and speakers. The "A" track turned out to be a mint condition 8 track player with real wood case. Not really worth a whole lot but just too cool so I snagged that to.
Bob

Fair enough--
you just made me think of adding #5 to my list above. :p

Are you ever going to tell us what your reasonable driving distance range is?

Impossible to answer. The distance I am willing to travel depends on the specific unit, the price it is being offered for and how badly I have to have it (taken in consideration with the price).

For the record, the furthest I have ever personally traveled was 300 miles (600 round trip) - which is three times the distance of the proposed jaunt for the Sansui.

I just post pictures of scantily-clad big chested women in bikinis next to my audio gear. Doesn't seem to matter what I'm selling - this strategy generates lots of interest.

Nah, really just here with a big bowl of :lurk:

Impossible to answer. The distance I am willing to travel depends on the specific unit, the price it is being offered for and how badly I have to have it (taken in consideration with the price).

For the record, the furthest I have ever personally traveled was 300 miles (600 round trip) - which is three times the distance of the proposed jaunt for the Sansui.

And I have traveled 300 miles to buy some items I was interested in as well. They all were presented nicely enough in their ads where I could see what I was buying was worth the trip.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom