New Turntables, What Are Your Thoughts On Any New Models?

Ben Butler

What are your thoughts on any current, and new (within last ten years) models of turntables? What do you like, dislike, love, hate? I'm all ears...

Love my VPI Classic. Built like a tank, sounds amazing. Only reason I'd ever replace it would be to upgrade to another VPI such as the Prime or (gulp) Avenger.

I've owned a lot of (mostly European belt drive, up to $5k) turntables since the '70s but until I auditioned & bought the new Technics SL1200G hadn't realised how truly razor sharp imaging could be with a precise direct drive table. Bass is also the tightest, fastest & most delineated I have heard on any turntable/any other system.

For years I had been put off by the DJ styling of this type & the mistaken belief that a mass market manufacturer could produce something truly 'audiophile'.

I'm much older and less bigoted now....

There is a fairly good number to choose from, but IMO a lot has changed from the heyday of the turntable. For one, in general you would have to spend a good amount of money to get anything of decent quality. We are also missing some of the mystique from quality players from Europe and the UK. In all, there are a couple of units that are worth checking out.

I have found that I enjoy the vintage turntables more than the newer ones, but that is my own view.

I try not to think about "new" TTs. First, I am very happy with my vintage tables and the nostalgia of playing vintage albums on a vintage deck--new releases play just fine too :) Secondly, the only new TTs that have really impressed me start at the price of a late-model used car. Not that money is a huge issue (at this point in my life), but there is always that consideration of how much I am willing to part with for any given purchase. If something truly makes me sit back and go "WOW", I will figure out a way to afford/justify it, so it is not just jealousy. Thirdly, "new" audio gear is just like a "new" car (maybe worse) in that it depreciates significantly the minute you leave the dealer's lot. So for the meantime, I'll stick with my trusty 30-40 year-old TOTL stuff that has already "taken the hit", so to speak.

I recently bought a Marantz TT15S1 and am very pleased with it. Clearaudio helped in the design and/or manufacturing of it. Comes with a nice tonearm and cart too.

My brother bought a VPI Traveler back in 2011ish, it is the version 2 model. No problems at all. It works as advertised and sounds good too.

Recently acquired a Pro-Ject 2Xperience Classic fitted with a Hana EH. A simple, solid, well made unit that looks and and sounds great.

Last edited:
I have a Sota Moonbeam that I dearly love...

index.php

Attachments

• 100_0135.JPG
    100_0135.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 149
I've owned a lot of (mostly European belt drive, up to $5k) turntables since the '70s but until I auditioned & bought the new Technics SL1200G hadn't realised how truly razor sharp imaging could be with a precise direct drive table. Bass is also the tightest, fastest & most delineated I have heard on any turntable/any other system.

For years I had been put off by the DJ styling of this type & the mistaken belief that a mass market manufacturer could produce something truly 'audiophile'.

I'm much older and less bigoted now....

Have recently become a DD disciple myself, much for the same reasons.

The Technics 1200GR are tough to find and it looks like this years production allotment has been signed up for unless you know someone in the audio industry that can get you past the line at the door. Something tells me it will be well worth the wait. As for direct drive I figured that out quite a few years ago and my not too shabby belt drive has been collecting dust for ages.

I got the Music Hall 7.3 about 1.5 yrs ago. I really like it. The 2mm bronze cart was ok. Just replaced with the Hana SL.
Mucho better.
The only thing I don't like about it is the piano black plinth. Shows every tiny spec of dust, and when you dust it, it scratches easily.

The Technics 1200GR are tough to find and it looks like this years production allotment has been signed up for unless you know someone in the audio industry that can get you past the line at the door. Something tells me it will be well worth the wait. As for direct drive I figured that out quite a few years ago and my not too shabby belt drive has been collecting dust for ages.

Thanks for the info. This type of marketing is not my cup of tea. Maybe they will produce enough one of these days. Its not like $1600 is a lot of money these days for a turntable.

Back
Top Bottom