Five Favorite Science Fiction Movies - Mine and Yours

Thank God we're nowadays able to see 'Director's Cuts' of movies like Brazil, in cases where the director and the studio were at odds about what to release to the public. I like Brazil enough that it's an unalloyed pleasure to sit through his 'long' version. I'd trade most of my stereo gear in for a chance to see Orson Welles's version of The Magnificent Ambersons, which RKO eviscerated. They destroyed nearly an hour of footage. Lost forever. They tacked on a "Hollywood Ending".

But you can see RKO's point of view, right? Welles had just finished his first film, Citizen Kane, at the age of 24-25. And who's even heard of that film?

So many great classic ones, as been already offered up, but I`ve seen no mention of Robinson Carusoe on Mars?
I remember first watching that movie, in the theater as a kid, around 53 years ago, in the mid sixties and thought it was so believably cool..

I wanted one of those, versatile all in one, portable electronic pack that he used, in a bad way, but sadly, Santa just couldn`t deliver ! :(

I have that movie on BR DVD, and like to watch it every so often, and the last time I watched it, I played it, for the first time, with commentary, and enjoyed that very much.. :thumbsup:

Fifth Element, is pretty good, I think, as well..

Last edited:
So many great classic ones, as been already offered up, but I`ve seen no mention of Robinson Caruso on Mars?
I remember first watching that movie, in the theater as a kid, around 53 years ago, in the mid sixties and thought it was so believably cool..

I wanted one of those, versatile all in one, portable electronic pack that he used, in a bad way, but sadly, Santa just couldn`t deliver ! :(

I have that movie on BR DVD, and like to watch it every so often, and the last time I watched it, I played it, for the first time, with commentary, and enjoyed that very much.. :thumbsup:

I watched it on a free streaming channels awhile back, had not seen it in decades. I was actually surprised by it too. It as it has an interesting story with more detail than much of the sci-fi from the same era. If you look at the films by year in the below link there was a lot of schlock on either side of this film for years before & after -

http://classicscifi.blogspot.com

I watched it on a free streaming channels awhile back, had not seen it in decades. I was actually surprised by it too. It as it has an interesting story with more detail than much of the sci-fi from the same era. If you look at the films by year in the below link there was a lot of schlock on either side of this film for years before & after -

http://classicscifi.blogspot.com
Yes, Soundmotor, I agree..
Thanks for your interest in what I think was a very good SciFi movie.
Take care.
Kind regards, OKB

Separately, I also thought of Alex Proyas's "Dark City" and
Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" though I'm not sure either
is technically "Science Fiction"...

I see Dark City as a Sci-Fi fantasy noire mystery and Brazil as a dystopian fantasy.

Thank God we're nowadays able to see 'Director's Cuts' of movies like Brazil, in cases where the director and the studio were at odds about what to release to the public. I like Brazil enough that it's an unalloyed pleasure to sit through his 'long' version. I'd trade most of my stereo gear in for a chance to see Orson Welles's version of The Magnificent Ambersons, which RKO eviscerated. They destroyed nearly an hour of footage. Lost forever. They tacked on a "Hollywood Ending".

But you can see RKO's point of view, right? Welles had just finished his first film, Citizen Kane, at the age of 24-25. And who's even heard of that film?

While Orson drank no wine before it's time and covered War of the Worlds magnificently on The Mercury Theatre on the Air, I'm pretty sure he didn't do SF on film. ;)

Last edited:
Here's a list of some more obscure sci-fi films you may not have seen but are well worth a look. I probably could have made a list much larger but we'll start with ten.

Five (1951) Great post apocalyptic film
The 27th Day (1957) Five people hold the destiny of the world in their hands
The World, The Flesh, and The Devil (1959) Another post apocalyptic film
No Blade of Grass (1970) Cornell Wilds take of the death of all grasses, including wheat and rice, causing world wide famine
Solaris (1972) The original Russian version not the George Clooney redo
Zardoz (1974) Sean Connery in a red diaper
Wizards (1977) Ralph Bakshi at his best
The Quiet Earth (1985) Great little New Zealand film
City of Lost Children (1995) Odd but interesting french film
Monsters (2010) Gareth Edwards interesting take on the monster movie

Alien is #1, Aliens is #2.

A few years back I snagged the Alien DVD box set (1st 4 films) at a yard sale. Although #3 & #4 get totally dissed in reviews there is something to them. Alien 3 was directed by David Fincher, his first film. I like his later work a lot (The Game, Fight Club) and you can see where he was going in Alien 3. Alien 4: Resurrection is a hot mess but a fun one. Same director as The City of Lost Children with a lot of the same flair. Clearly neither hold a candle to the first 2 but I like them anyway.

1). Strange Days
2). Blade Runner
3). 13th Floor
4). Dark City
5). Aliens

Last edited:
kdooley good list. Saw all except the last 4 flicks. 70's made a lot of those kinds of flicks. Here's some others "Phase 4" by Saul Bass, The Swarm, Damnation Alley, Meteor. The end of the world flicks. FUN to watch.

kdooley good list. Saw all except the last 4 flicks. 70's made a lot of those kinds of flicks. Here's some others "Phase 4" by Saul Bass, The Swarm, Damnation Alley, Meteor. The end of the world flicks. FUN to watch.
I saw Phase 4 on a double feature with Bug (1975) at the only theater in my small home town. We had an Englishmen who ran the theater. He would show whatever mainstream hit was out Thursday through Sunday and run double features of horror and cult films Monday to Wednesday. I saw some great flicks there over the years. That's where I caught most of the later films on my list.

Sounds good. Check out my earlier post #51. Between all 3 stations saw quite a few movies. Going to the local theaters saw a lot of movies in the 70's. And worked one summer at the local drive-in.

Back
Top Bottom