TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

While the McIntosh images above cosmetically look fine to my eyes, (preferably, MA6500) the hybrid offering MA252 is as homely as a mud fence IMO...OTOH, others may think it looks great.

McIntosh-MA252-Integrated-Amplifie2.jpg
I'm in the "looks great!" Camp, tho' not a customer. I liked the naked chromed chassis look of the consumer tube era Mac amps.

I'm getting whiplash on this thread...getting my brain to flip between McIntosh hardware and our penny-wise 3116 builds...
I'm sentimentally attracted to Mac, particularly the naked chrome chassis amps, but I cannot say they represent good sonic value for the home user from personal experience. They have done well in pro applications, but so have many equally worthy alternate candidates

I hate it when tube amps have LEDs under the tubes. Talk about completely wrecking it! It takes the soul out of it. There were some variations of the sainsmart tube preamp that many of us have that used LEDs under the tubes. I'm glad mine does not have that.

I'm getting whiplash on this thread...getting my brain to flip between McIntosh hardware and our penny-wise 3116 builds...

Funny you should mention! This just happened to arrive in today's mail.

index.php

Have only listened to it for a short while so far, but my main reactions:
1) Smaller than I expected (Does that sound familiar?)
2) SMH at the SQ because it's sort of amazing.
3) WAY too many functions assigned to one little button.
4) Too funny that it has a remote control.

s-l1600.jpg

The remote actually makes it easier to use than the "one button" front panel, at least I find that with my AD18.

Let us know more about SQ as you use it more. I am really happy with the 18. At first I thought it would be an interim step before upgrading to one of the little Teac amps or the NAD D3020. Not so sure I will bother, not for a while anyway. It sounds great, is easy to use once you get the hang of it and has every function I need. Cost me under $160 Canadian delivered. SMH indeed!

Fwiw, I'm going to do a minor upgrade to an Adcom GFA-535 I bought new, to swap in and out for comparison.

My only experience with McIntosh was with their tube amps ( push pull ). Impressive power and dynamics but lacked the resolution you become accustomed to with a SET amp.

Funny you should mention! This just happened to arrive in today's mail.

index.php

Have only listened to it for a short while so far, but my main reactions:
1) Smaller than I expected (Does that sound familiar?)
2) SMH at the SQ because it's sort of amazing.
3) WAY too many functions assigned to one little button.
4) Too funny that it has a remote control.

s-l1600.jpg
Funky n neat and ive seen good reviews.Only had one smsl amp which my son inherited and now uses with a pair of Tannoy 609s with absorbing results.
Ive considered getting one of these but then someone pointed out the Kanto Yumi actives and im still reflecting on both......

Fwiw, I'm going to do a minor upgrade to an Adcom GFA-535 I bought new, to swap in and out for comparison.

Mind if I ask what upgrade? I have a GFA-535. It’s great, but I wish it had a speaker protection relay. Sorry for the sidetrack.

I put ceramic MDA fuses in place of the oem fuses, as per a recommendation. I will also install two 47uF/ 100 Volt local rail bypass caps on each board as per Hoppe's Brain upgrade, bypassed by 1.0 uF/ 100 Volt metallized polyproplene film caps. Flag TO92 heatsinks on the bias transistors.
Fairly simple and basic, should have been OEM.

Last edited:
The same mod applies to the GFA-545.
Fwiw, the only necessary mod, besides the MDA fuses for the GFA-535-II and GFA-545-II is flag heat sinks on the hot bias transistors.

Last edited:
This off topic - but just in case anyone wants to check out the new Topping D10 DAC, Massdrop has it for only $75 (expected to ship in early March).

This little USB DAC looks pretty good on paper... up to 32bit/384kHz for PCM and handles raw DSD up to DSD256. I went ahead and joined the drop!

It even has an OP amp socket so you can adjust the sound signature by trying different OP amps.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/topping-d10

http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/d10/index.htm

View attachment 1105115 View attachment 1105116

Specs
  • Topping
  • Color: Black
  • Power input: DC 5V/0.5A (USB powered)
  • Input: USB
  • Digital output: Optical/coax
  • Analog output: Line out
  • Dimensions: 4.1 x 5.7 x 1.5 in (10.3 x 14.6 x 3.7 cm)
  • Weight: 11.1 oz (314 g)

Line Out
  • THD+N, A-weighted: < 0.0008% at 1 kHz
  • SNR, A-weighted: 115 dB at 1 kHz
  • Frequency response: 20 Hz–20 kHz (+/- 0.1 dB)
  • Output level: 2 Vrms at 0 dBFS
  • Noise, A-weighted: < 4 uVrms
  • Crosstalk: -115 dB at 1 kHz
  • Balance: 0.1 dB
  • Output impedance: 100 ohms

USB In

• 44.1–384 kHz / 16–32 bit
  • DSD64–DSD256 (DoP, native)

Optical/Coax Out

• 44.1–192 kHz / 16–24 bit

Included

• USB cable
  • User manual
Guys, I have an update for you on the new Topping D10 DAC... I just received it in the mail yesterday from Massdrop and listened to it right away... early impression was that it sounded excellent with my go to test music.

The D10 driver download from Topping's website and the installation was easy... it shows up as "Topping USB Audio Device" in Foobar and as "Topping USB DAC" in the speakers / playback devices window.

I have plenty of standard and high resolution PCM and DSD files to test it out with, so I'll check it out thoroughly over the next several days. I do like the large bitrate/codec display; it automatically dims to a soft amber glow after the file starts playing.

I had a chance to listen to the D10 again for several hours this morning before work and the bottom line is it sounds great. It easily sounds just as good as the NuPrime uDSD DAC that I've been primarily using for the past year or so.

It's a good looking unit, the display is nice to have to confirm the bitrate and codec (PCM or DSD) of the digital audio file you are listening to. I haven't had a chance to compare it to my Topping D30, but I suspect the D10's SQ will be similar.

It was a bargain for the Massdrop price of $75, but even at $90 elsewhere it's a great deal for sure. As always, YMMV

Topping D10 front.jpg Topping D10 back.jpg

What is the difference between the D10, D30 and D50?
The D10 is their newest model DAC for 2018 and is USB input only, and is USB powered (no wall wart). Plus, it handles up to 32bit/384kHz for PCM and raw DSD up to DSD256. It is black in color and has a large bitrate/codec display. It has Toslink optical and RCA coax digital outputs to send to another DAC or receiver if you like, so it can be used as a USB to S/PDIF converter.

The D30 has been on the market for a couple of years. It has switchable USB, Toslink optical and RCA coax inputs, so it can be used for more than one type of streaming digital source. It handles up to 24bit/192kHz PCM and up to DSD128. It does use an external wall wart type 15V power supply, and has a front mounted on/off switch. No digital outputs. The D30 has a great track record with lots of positive reviews. I have one and can also vouch for its reputation for excellent sound quality.

61danw1FkHL._SL1000_.jpg

The Topping D50 is a higher end multi-input DAC with dual Sabre processing chips and can handle up to 32bit/768kHz for PCM and raw DSD up to DSD512

Here's the link on Topping's website for full details and specs for the D50 http://en.tpdz.net/products_detail/productId=37.html

Topping%20D50-description.jpg

Last edited:
GSS61,

Is there a D50 in your future? Wonder if it's a significant upgrade to my $99 D30?
Not anytime soon, LOL.. they run about $300 so I can't imagine it would sound 3x better than a D30. Still a good price if you work with very high resolution audio files (like in a recording studio, for example)

Back
Top Bottom