TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I asked as I saw the red display in the picture. Thanks.
It looks a little more red in that particular picture than it is in real life...

This is closer to what the display looks like before it automatically dims:

d10-en-02.jpg

The D50 sounds like a nice option for a DAC/Preamp into a main system rather than a desktop. At the $300 mark ifit compares favorably to a benchmark, PS Audio, Nuprime DAC9, it would be something.

I heard from the Allo rep. The volt D board (no volume control, better specs, easier to put in a case) is in production and should be available by mid to late April.
While it's taken a little longer than expected, I suspected it's actually a good sign in that they're not rushing an unproven design into the market. I've been quite happy with the Volt +, but look forward to having a board that I can put in a case. I'm also curious to see what else they've been able to squeeze out of the TPA 3118.

Friday I received a TPA3255EVM from TI. Quick service and it looks high quality. I found a Vicor FlatPac 48v 400 watt power supply that appears to be salvaged from unknown equipment as the wires are snipped off. Hope it works. Now if I can get enough spare time to put it together...

http://www.vicorpower.com/flatpac Anyone using these? They look very well made.

Nice. I also just received the TPA3255 from TI (the 50% off code is still good btw for those considering buying one), a Jeff Bagby Continuum II kit, and have a Sain Smart preamp and Meanwell PS on the way. Will be used with a Topping D30. Looking forward to getting it all together; I’m expecting it to be a great little system.

Noticed these Chinese TPA3255 boards popping up on ebay, Amazon and AliExpress...

Can be purchased for less than $50 shipped on AliExpress during their upcoming 15% discount sale.

Anyone try one of these yet?

TPA3255.jpg

Noticed these Chinese TPA3255 boards popping up on ebay, Amazon and AliExpress...

Can be purchased for less than $50 shipped on AliExpress during their upcoming 15% discount sale.

Anyone try one of these yet?

View attachment 1147703

Popping is the operative word. Quite a few have been bought by DIYAudio forum members, with the majority reporting a turn on/off thump or pop. Quality seems variable, with some reports of some components (regulators, I think) not fully populated.

Given the price, I'd avoid, and either go for a Ti EVM board, or the FxPro

If you're set on a 3255 and don't fancy the EVM board, I'd recommend one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TPA3255-2x260-Watt-1-THD-N-Class-D-Audio-Amplifier-/332371651072?rmvSB=true

Last edited:
The aftermarket TPA3255 boards while less expensive, the chances of product support may be lower. But TI3255 is a Evaluation board, not a consumer product meant for retail.

The TI TPA3255 evaluation board does have a reset switch, which if toggled proper the amplifier won't pop through the speakers on power-up. No big deal, until you mount the board in a case/enclosure, then you either have to move the reset switch outboard, or just leave the switch toggled on. However, with Klipsch Cornwalls the power-up switching transient isn't that bad at all...a rather mild thump/pop.

I visited a local guy a few months back, and brought the 3255 TI amp. We powered up the amp with a pair of Soniphase bass bins of some such, with a Tractrix horn with a BMS coaxial driver.
(real high-efficiency speakers) I warned the guy the amp might pop through the speakers on power-up. He looked at me kinda nervous, and powered it up anyway. A mild thump/pop...no biggie...

I use mine with a simple linear supply. a Antek toroidal power transformer, a large amperage bridge rectifier, into two 15,000uF caps.

While I have more preference towards single-ended tube amplifiers, the TI3255 I have easily bests more low to mid-tier solid state class A/B to my ears. The background noise is really low, and you can really hear into the music.

the TI3255 I have easily bests more low to mid-tier solid state class A/B to my ears

My experience as well.

In general something I should mention: TPA 3250-3251-3255 are really only different in the amount of voltage they can carry [and thus the wattage they produce]....and even that difference is somewhat inflated by TI.

I personally can't tell the difference in sound between any of these EV modules [I now own all three] as long as they're run with sufficient power.
The only exception is in cases where specific speakers respond better to having more wattage on tap....which in my case only applies to the difference in output between 3250 and 3251.

Went ahead and ordered a FX502SPRO (TPA3250) off AliExpress today for less than $58 shipped - includes the 24V 4A power supply brick, too

Their Anniversary Sale is active for the next couple of days so there's additional discounts available on some gear...

FX502SPRO-Black-1.jpg

Looking forward to comparing it to my Breeze Audio TPA3116 and see if there is a noticeable sound quality improvement. I've been very happy with how the TPA3116 sounds.

Back
Top Bottom