Anyone Familiar With These Speakers

racfan9

Hi Everyone....Anyone recognize or know anything about these speakers I've posted? Utah is the only thing I can find as far as a name. I know Utah manufactured components but I'm not sure they manufactured complete speaker systems.

racfan9

Attachments

• IMG_3116.JPG
    IMG_3116.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_3117.JPG
    IMG_3117.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3118.JPG
    IMG_3118.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 189
Yes, Utah made complete speaker systems. They’re not fashionable (and never were) but some sound pretty good. That’s all I can tell you.

Could be HS1-C or another along those lines. Look up "Utah speakers" at AK and see if you find any other models. The HS1-C had a 12" woofer. Cabinets are usually heavy with nice veneer, drivers so-so and crossovers minimal. The HS1-C ran the woofer wide open with a cap for the tweeter. OK for garage speakers or for repurposing the nice cabinets but not top of the heap.

Here's some inside pics. They seem well made and solid. Speaker codes are 328049 for the 12" woofer and 8" mid and 328045 for the tweeter.

Attachments

• IMG_3120.JPG
    IMG_3120.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3119.JPG
    IMG_3119.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 125
Have to replace the caps in the speakers. They tend to fail badly at times. Should improve the sound quality with new.

NAD80....would you stay with the original values or is there a way to upgrade the crossovers. Also I did verify these are the
HS1-C model.

Use the exact values. OK to go higher on voltage ratings. The crossover can be upgraded but it takes quite a bit of testing and design, otherwise it's shooting in the dark.

I thought the HS1-C had the horn mid but I could be remembering that wrong, will take a look online and see if I can determine if I my memory is correct...

I can't vouch for the WD90, but I had a couple of HS1-C.

Utah stuff tends to get widely reviled, but the Heritage HS1-C was a budget entry into high sensitivity that could sound quite acceptable if you binned all the connectors, resistor, capacitor, L-pad, and wiring, and replaced with fresh.

Utah Trivia:

Utah bought Stephens Trusonic in the late 60's (shortening the name to Trusonic), and for a while continued to produce the older premium drivers in California (in green paint!) alongside Trusonic-badged speakers made in Indiana indistinguishable from the Utah line.

Utah were masters of OEM, and you'll find their cabinets labelled Knight, Layfayette, and dozens of house brands. Raw drivers were provided to Lafayette, Seeburg, Fender, Silvertone, and others.

When Utah finally folded, its Huntington manufacturing facilities were put to use by a former employee as the original Pyle company before it was gobbled up by Harman and eventually sent to brand hell under the current ownership.

Utah is remembered as one of the leading former American purveyors of undistinguished, even crappy, budget speakers, on par with, say, Oaktron. Compare to Eminence, CTS, and Jensen's "Special Design" OEM label, which inhabited the same sphere, but don't cause contemporary audiophiles to scrunch their faces up quite as much.

Nice history. I knew some of that but the later information is interesting. I've always felt that although somewhat middle of the road in stock form that Utah's have good potential for modification/re-purposing, the cabinets alone are solid and well built.

The heavy (even hernia-inducing) 15" CTS woofers in my Dad's LWE's would take issue with being referred to as undistinguished or crappy. But that would be off topic, so we won't dwell on it. :smoke:

The first time I met a pair of Utahs was when I was in high school. I was not impressed with them until they got fired up by a Sony V6 receiver. I very much enjoyed their sound and was quite surprised.

Back
Top Bottom