New Raspberry Pi 3 B+

I'm working on a project where this might be ideal, but don't even know if the software exists. I need a headless media player application, operable through DLNA/UPnP that can read DSD either as .dsf files or .iso (SACD disc image) files, then output that DSD through the HDMI output, as it can't have any downsampling or converting happening. Not holding my breath though--my needs are too esoteric compared to the average Pi user. ;)

I'm working on a project where this might be ideal, but don't even know if the software exists. I need a headless media player application, operable through DLNA/UPnP that can read DSD either as .dsf files or .iso (SACD disc image) files, then output that DSD through the HDMI output, as it can't have any downsampling or converting happening. Not holding my breath though--my needs are too esoteric compared to the average Pi user. ;)

prior to the release of the new rpi b+, i had been building a rpi b with 7 inch touchscreen for the family. the device is running libreelec (kodi), and has a local usb drive.

i can confirm that the rpi b is able to play a .dsf file stored on the usb drive.

the actual throughput of the wifi is very low, so i would be hesitant to move a large file via wifi with the B. hopefully the new model with a/c wifi will be faster.

for my application, i am outputting via hdmi.

theoretically, this system would meet your requirements for a headless player, dlna and hdmi output after initial setup connected to an hdmi monitor

i placed an order for the b+ last week, and am anxiously waiting to put the new model in service.

A new Raspberry Pi was released today. Better processing, better wireless, better ethernet. Might be interesting to play with.
Faster computers for the same money are always a good thing, but in most audio applications, I don't find any real improvements.

1. I already de-clock mine from 1.2 gHz (+ runs at 1.4) to 800 mHz (twice memory speed) to improve battery power supply life and reduce heat. Decoding a FLAC stream utilizes CPU in the 5-10% range as is.
2. Now supports the 5 gHz band which isn't necessarily better in some cases. I cannot use that band in the garage because it suffers poor penetration through walls.
3. Offers gigabit speed vs 10/100. Audio applications, however, don't tax the older 100 Mbit speed.

Back
Top Bottom