Klipsch KG4s or subs

ccawker

Ok.I have a conundrum here.I have a chance to get a mint pair of KG4s to pair with my Hereseys.But for the same price(300.00) i could get 2 Dayton 12 subs from parts express to add to my Hereseys.What would you do?
Not sure if i need the subs too much as the Heresys sound good by themselves but maybe the KG4s would give me a little more mids?????Also i figure i can keep my Klipsch "flat" and just work with the subs
Help please.

Last edited:
When I owned KG4's Mids was the one thing they lacked (at least in my listening space).

I have not heard the kg4 but have owned 4.2 for a long time and they have great mids. Especially with the Crites diaphragms and a couple of new caps, very sweet.

The Heresy's sound "good". But they don't make your heart go pitter patter? Hmm. :idea:

Questions: What kind of music do you like, what volume, do you boost the bass at all?

I have not heard the kg4 but have owned 4.2 for a long time and they have great mids. Especially with the Crites diaphragms and a couple of new caps, very sweet.

The Heresy's sound "good". But they don't make your heart go pitter patter? Hmm. :idea:

Questions: What kind of music do you like, what volume, do you boost the bass at all?
I listen to mostly vinyl classic rock,but play some groovy jazz(Euge Groove) on cd occasionally

moderate to loud volumes(not ear bleeding) and flat as no loudness ,bass or treble

I've owned my pair of KG4s for about 4 years now and I love them very much. I've never felt it *necessary* to pair them with a sub. I did have them hooked up with a BIC Venturi V1020 sub for awhile, which sounded fantastic. However, I've been listening to them recently without a sub and they fill in most of what was reserved to the sub previously.
As far as filling in any bass lacked by your Heresys though, I'm not sure. I have never heard Heresys. I thought they were considered to be better than KG4s?
Good luck!

They're different animals for sure. You can read up on AK about each. The Heresy is rated down to 50 Hz while the kg4 is 38 Hz. If you like bass extension I would think the Heresy would sound better with a sub. I have never felt like I needed one with the 4.2 which have a similar low end cutoff to the kg4.

Ok.I have a conundrum here.I have a chance to get a mint pair of KG4s to pair with my Hereseys.But for the same price(300.00) i could get 2 Dayton 12 subs from parts express to add to my Hereseys.What would you do?
Not sure if i need the subs too much as the Heresys sound good by themselves but maybe the KG4s would give me a little more mids?????
Help please.
Also i figure i can keep my Klipsch "flat" and just work with the subs

You don't want to run two pair of stereo speakers at the same time as that leads to a number of undesirable issues.

Of the 2 I like the KG4 better and they are much better after upgrading the crossovers.

If you go the sub route, you want a sealed version.

You don't want to run two pair of stereo speakers at the same time as that leads to a number of undesirable issues.

Of the 2 I like the KG4 better and they are much better after upgrading the crossovers.

If you go the sub route, you want a sealed version.
so,you like the KG 4 option or you like the KG 4s better than the Hereseys?Also what is a "sealed version" of a sub?

I like the KG4 speaker better. However, getting a good sub for your current speakers isn't a bad option.

There are basically two types of subs, sealed and ported. For music sealed is better as they tend to be tighter and quicker. Ported subs can be boomy, slow and suffer with port chuffing.

so,you like the KG 4 option or you like the KG 4s better than the Hereseys?Also what is a "sealed version" of a sub?

I'm with F1Nut on this. I like KG4s better than Hereseys especially if you're not driving the Hereseys with tubes. The KG4s with the Crites diaphragms are a well balanced speaker. Hereseys always sounded somewhat harsh to me even with subs. I suspect it has to do with the mid horn. I use my KG4s with a pair of sealed MK subs. BTW, a sealed sub doesn't have a port. Sealed subs tend to be more expensive because they aren't as popular as the boom created by the LFE track of home theaters; hence, the market is geared towards HT. For music, I prefer transmission lines and sealed subwoofers over ported.

I suppose it would depend on your Heresys. What condition, which version, etc. I own both KG4 and Heresy III (the current one). I had KG4 before I got Heresy. I like them both. I think a Heresy would have a better Mid section. KG4 seem to sound like they have a deeper bass, but my Heresy have cleaner and more precise bass. I used to have KG4 in a TV surround setup and almost never had to use a Sub. They did a good enough job for me. For music, I dont believe in using a Sub and thats how use both now. I only have a Sub in a TV/Movie watching setup, as some movies do require that much low end. So, I would say KG4 based on my experience, but my Heresys dont need sub as far as I'm concerned. But YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom