Krell vs Adcom

The Krell build quality is where all of the money is when you buy it. All press break formed aluminum with floating nut plates for everything attached to it. All stainless steel machine screws NO sheet metal screws. The front panel is a big 1/2" chunk of machined aluminum. The output relays are massive 4 pole pieces as is the turn on current limiter relay. There's a big 50W Dale chassis mounted resistor to slow down the cooling fans which run very slow. I did the math and the resistor is dissipating a whopping 4W. Everything about these amps is just built for the long haul.

Craig

It is just one of the ways that high end companies protect their equipment from hacks.
A very idealistic interpretation. Another reason is to keep their monopoly on service/maintenance, with no competition to set fair prices. I once called a manufacturer, and the call was taken by one of the partners who owned the company. I requested a schematic. He got angry.

"Are you serious? That's how I make my living!" and he hung up.

That made me angry (his manner, not the schematic). I gave myself an hour to get over it, and called him back to tell him that kind of rudeness is not appreciated by customers.

This time, his partner took the call. No reason to lecture him, so I just repeated my request for a schematic.

"No problem!" he said cheerfully. "What's your fax number?" (Fax: that's how long ago it was.)

I received it within an hour.

Wow, didn't think I was going to get this many replies! Yes, my Adcoms have been serviced and the caps that were known to leak have been replaced. Glad to hear that some of you have heard both and prefer the sound of the Krell in every way. I'm actually pretty happy with the bass from my adcoms, although i know the Krell will kick its A$$. However, the highs just seem sterile at times on the Adcoms and I was wondering how the Krells compared. Thanks for you guy's input!

I'd say that the Krell's are by far the better amps. There are a few of the original (very first) Adcome 555's that are pretty good sounding amps. They are different in that they have 1) the square handles, 2) have the L and R RCA inputs side by side instead of over and under. I happen to have one of them, and it is a pretty good sounding amp. Even so, I tend to only use it to drive woofers as it isn't quite as refined sounding as my Musical Concepts modified Halfer.
Back to the Krells, I've had the FPB 250 and The FPB 600 mono's and I have to say that they may be the most "enjoyable" sounding amps that I've ever owned. I'm too old and have blown out my shoulder's too badly to be able move such beasts around a room any longer, but man do they sound good! Are they neutral??? Not so sure, but they really sound nice :)

I've owned both--Krell (still do) and Adcoms (555 and 565)--the Krells (4 KMA 160 monoblocks) and my Aragon 4004's can/will smoke the Adcoms in every way--not even a fair contest.

Do you think going from my Adcom 565 monoblocks to a stereo FPB 600 would be a smart move? Or should I just wait until I have enough money to buy 2 krell monoblocks? What are you guy's thoughts?

The FPB 600 is a fantastic amp. That being said. Its big and heavy and you need to factor in if/when it requires service. All those things being said. I would get an FPB 600 in a heartbeat and probably end there.

I've owned both--Krell (still do) and Adcoms (555 and 565)--the Krells (4 KMA 160 monoblocks) and my Aragon 4004's can/will smoke the Adcoms in every way--not even a fair contest.
My thought is that it's like comparing 'vettes.

A Chevette to a Corvette, that is. :D

My thought is that it's like comparing 'vettes.

A Chevette to a Corvette, that is. :D

Lol. More like a Lykan Hypersport to a Chevette. And from a couple older posts in this thread, regarding service, Krell still services their KSA, FPB amplifiers. Not sure why anyone thought they wouldn't?

Never heard Krell amps or any high priced amps so I can not compare. But I do have a pair of Hoppe's Brain tricked out Adcom 565's that sound awesome.

The Adcoms generally are no-nonesense 'journeyman' power amps with the money spent in a cost effective manner. They do effectively fill a niche in the market.
Finding amps that deliver the high end niceties without the monument build cost penalty is the real competition for them.

Never heard Krell amps or any high priced amps so I can not compare. But I do have a pair of Hoppe's Brain tricked out Adcom 565's that sound awesome.

You have one of (set of) Adcom's best amps. If you have pretty efficient speakers, or more specifically speakers that do not require lots of current, that is all one would need. I have had a set of them in the past as well.

But my particular sets of speakers are not efficient, and need lots of current. The Japanese line of amps, Luxman, Yamaha, Nakamichi, Kenwood, Adcom, Onkyo, etc... just did not do much for them (even biamped with two of them). So much so that if I had read a review of either of my speaker sets, and noticed the reviewer had used insufficient amps, I would brush over the reviews as if the user has really never heard the speakers. It is just a night and day difference what lots of high current do for them. And again, I am speaking of inefficient speakers, older Infinities in my case.

But I would never compare the two. The older Krell amps build quality is just all out with nothing spared. And you will easily know this when you attempt to lift one. And the speaker will certainly give way before the power the amplifier provides does. But they are overkill for more efficient speakers.

Back
Top Bottom