Reducing HH Scott tuner meter bounce

vendo81

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I rebuilt my Scott 296 a few months back and finally got time to finish the rebuild of my Scott 355 pre/tuner. I'm using the 355 as a stand alone tuner as it has the large "G" chassis like the 296. When finished, one thing that was really annoying is the way the tuning meter on the 355 bounces around and then settles every time a station is tuned. Not just a small bounce, the crazy thing goes all over the place and takes time to settle. I had noticed this on a Scott tuner I used to own, and I'm sure it's from Scott's use of cheap meters.

I knew a capacitor parallel with the meter could possibly help the problem as I've seen this done on other meters. After trying quite a few values I found a 1000uf cap tacked on the rear of the meter removed 95% of the bounce, yet still allowed accurate tuning of the stations. I used a 1000uf @ 50V but a 50V cap is not needed, just what I had on hand. You need to watch polarity of the capacitor keeping it the same as the meter.

I'm thinking this would work on any of the other Scott tuners as well so I thought I'd post my results.

Never noticed, I’ll have to see if my LT-110b does that.

Your LT-110b may not have a bouncy meter. Some models are probably better than others.

Here is a video (not mine) I found showing a Scott 355. Check out around 4:53 in the video and you will see what I saw every station change after the tuner was aligned.

So is my LT-110. I did the same trick years ago and forgot all about it. It works very well! Thanks Vendo for putting it out there for others to take advantage of!

Dave

So is my LT-110. I did the same trick years ago and forgot all about it. It works very well! Thanks Vendo for putting it out there for others to take advantage of!

Dave

Hi Dave. I guess it wouldn't bother some people. I expected it to work like the Fisher receivers. I found it annoying waiting for the meter to settle to fine tune the station. It made me wish they had used an eye tube for signal strength :)

Hi Dave. I guess it wouldn't bother some people. I expected it to work like the Fisher receivers. I found it annoying waiting for the meter to settle to fine tune the station. It made me wish they had used an eye tube for signal strength :)

The meter is bad enough.If you had to watch an eye tube do that you'd probably have a seizure:rflmao:

Back
Top Bottom