Led Zeppelin lll Vinyl Re-Issue Sound Quality

malden

Addicted Member
I have an original issue of this record but the lower frequencies sound terrible. Has anyone compared the original to the re-issue?

There is NOTHING that you can do to LZ low end--I have originals, re-issues, and alleged re-masters--the bottom end is just "mud"--that's why they get listened to on JBLs. and not my Infinity K9's or Maggie 3.6R's.

It only cost $24 to find out, this is something I wouldn't let anyone decide for me. Our systems all are quiet different, how we like the tones to music is as well. Then the fact they made millions of that "original" record (witch doesn't mean anything, all records are original including the 2015 reissues). Old ones had hundreds of different matrix numbers (ie: Mastering), pressed at many different pressing plants over many years. No two records are the same when we listen to them for SQ.

Edit
ha ha ha the decision was made with one comment in less time than it took to type my post.
I'm glad I follow my own path and try things with hands on, there would have been so much I missed out on in life if I listen to people on the internet when it comes to SQ.

Last edited:
The 200gr Classics S-PV of Zep III will blow the balls off a charging rhino at 50 paces. HUGE lowend but you will pay a lot to enjoy that experience. I have the Super Deluxe version also and it's pretty damn good (for a remaster) better then any of the SD-19xxxx issues. The older SD-8xxx issues usually sound pretty good but I think cart and preamp have a lot of say in how the sound is reproduced

There is NOTHING that you can do to LZ low end--I have originals, re-issues, and alleged re-masters--the bottom end is just "mud"--that's why they get listened to on JBLs. and not my Infinity K9's or Maggie 3.6R's.

That's funny ... I was showing off my Maggies last night and we put Zep III on and I experienced a bit of what you speak of. I wouldn't say it's mud but I compared it to the Vannesa Fernandez covers, you get a feel for how recording, in general, has evolved. Maybe I'm reading too much into a single experience but the Maggies can be pretty revealing and I'm not overly thrilled with their bottom end - even with a sub. My garage, however, is set up with JBL 4671's and it's a dramatically different experience. I have noticed the latest repress is dead quiet - maybe I got lucky but I really prefer the latest pressing. I even sprung for the "Super Deluxe Box Set" I, II, III, IV, Houses of the Holy (the rest of the collection I settled for the standard release). I'm thinking I have more Zep pressings than any other band in my record collection and there is plenty of variances. I love the 3.6R's at times and other times I fear they are not the right speaker for me.

The 200 gram Rhino pressing were the "golden unicorns" of the early 2000's - selling for well over $100/ea. I was never able to secure or even hear one but I read a lot about the quality of the pressing and the mix.

Incidentally, I was running my Modwright SWP 9.0 SE (Amprex 7119's), matching Modwight linestage, Rega P9 and a LV Sumiko Blackbird. I might switch back to my Coffman G1A today and have another go at it.

If it sounds like crap, I'll send you the bill...:deal:
Another reason I don't recommend things on the internet....but really it's not much to spend for one to find out for themselves. When it comes to a vast majority of hard rock records, they where never recorded and mastered with audiophile in mind and being critiqued.

Jimmy Page has been systematically remastering everything he has ever done in a effort to leave his music the best he can get it before he dies. Of course this is my opinion but there is a lot to complain about from past masterings, however he is doing all the remastering for a reason.
So far what I have seen and bought that he's done is good.
Solo studio work
His efforts on Sound Tracks
The Yardbirds
All Zep Studio
Zep Greatest Hits Mother ship
SRTS
The BBC Sesions
And now just out and I picked it up yesterday....3/23/18 for it's 15th aniverrsary.
How The West Was Won
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-how-the-west-was-won-reissue/

Another reason I don't recommend things on the internet....but really it's not much to spend for one to find out for themselves. When it comes to a vast majority of hard rock records, they where never recorded and mastered with audiophile in mind and being critiqued.

Jimmy Page has been systematically remastering everything he has ever done in a effort to leave his music the best he can get it before he dies. Of course this is my opinion but there is a lot to complain about from past masterings, however he is doing all the remastering for a reason.
So far what I have seen and bought that he's done is good.
Solo studio work
His efforts on Sound Tracks
The Yardbirds
All Zep Studio
Zep Greatest Hits Mother ship
SRTS
The BBC Sesions
And now just out and I picked it up yesterday....3/23/18 for it's 15th aniverrsary.
How The West Was Won
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-how-the-west-was-won-reissue/

Do you have any LZ lll 's that you like or dislike? I love that album but I can't stand the sound quality of the pressing I have.

@E.Man , what is it you like about 4-2-7's post? Maybe you could chime in here and share your experience listening to Led Zeppelin lll records.

The 200gr Classics S-PV of Zep III will blow the balls off a charging rhino at 50 paces. HUGE lowend but you will pay a lot to enjoy that experience. I have the Super Deluxe version also and it's pretty damn good (for a remaster) better then any of the SD-19xxxx issues. The older SD-8xxx issues usually sound pretty good but I think cart and preamp have a lot of say in how the sound is reproduced

I'm not familiar with "Classics S-PV", What is that exactly?

Another question would be, how many re-issues are there of LZ lll that are currently available?

Our systems all are quiet different, how we like the tones to music is as well. pressed at many different pressing plants over many years. No two records are the same when we listen to them for SQ.

Another reason I don't recommend things on the internet.... When it comes to a vast majority of hard rock records, they where never recorded and mastered with audiophile in mind and being critiqued.

Do you have any LZ lll 's that you like or dislike? I love that album but I can't stand the sound quality of the pressing I have.

I don't really sit around critiquing Zep records, I put the record on and enjoy it. Sure I can grab a old title and put it on then think wow there is something missing, or cool this sounds good. But as I stated above, we all have different systems and tune them to what we like for SQ. Cartridges and staging and the quality f the vinyl as well as the mastering plays a big part in what we hear, as does the room and how the speakers interact in it.

I have no tone controls..
This is why I have three different power amp/ speaker sets in one system selectable with the remote.

A power sub if needed with any of those...

While my tables are all set up very close they go through Phono head amps that I can change loading and gain if need be.

I wish there was a way to just look up all record titles and find the best sounding one in some kind of data base. The fact is that's impossible, it's to subjective for starters and everyone gets a different sound depending on there playback system. A record is part of that system and it all starts when the stylus meets the groove.

I am with Dan, I can enjoy any record with my system and I only have one system. I use NO tone controls or any processing with record playback and I can almost guarantee if you came over with your copy of LZ III, you would be blown away

Ask Danimal1969 what it's like to hear a record at my house and your heart is shaking in your chest at low volume. He just shakes his head and says holy f&%k

Another question would be, how many re-issues are there of LZ lll that are currently available?
Versions (577) and more not documented I'm sure
https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin-II/master/4170

I'm not familiar with "Classics S-PV", What is that exactly?

Classic Records is / was a mastering lab and pressing plant that got their start doing Promos of titles. The big labels started farming out promo work because they needed good quality records to sell the crappy ones they where putting out.

When the big labels started going all CD, Classic started to buy licensing to titles so they could put out audiophile records. They where a audiophile company like MFSL, DCC, Analogue Productions, in fact AP bought them out when they went bankrupt.

Back
Top Bottom