From LS50’s to Heresy III’s, am I crazy?

crn3371

I’ve got the upgrade itch for new speakers in my small (11x12x8) dedicated listening room. The LS50’s have great soundstage and imaging, I’m just looking for something with more body to the sound. The KEF Reference 1’s seem like the logical upgrade, but are a bit too pricey for me. Since I got into this hobby back in the 70’s I’ve always been fascinated with Klipsch, but have never owned them. In looking at the Heresy’s I feel that they might be something that could work in a smallish room and satisfy my itch to experience Klipsch. I figure this is the best place to ask about classic speakers, so any input is appreciated. Listening position is a single chair at the apex of a 7’ equilateral triangle. I have a REL T5 that works great in the room. Amplification is the new Anthem STR integrated with built-in Anthem Room Correction.

Any of the more modern Klipsch dual woofer towers would be a better choice IMO, in fact a friend of mine had to abandon a similar project with Hersery's due to severe bass cancellation in his small room. I'd certainly describe the current tower line up as full bodied. In fact, the combination of Klipsch towers in the front and those KEF LS50s in the rear or vice verse on seperate amps would be mind blowing to say the least, that would qualify as a dream system to me. Best to have at least a 10 band EQ on any set of Klipsch speakers, those horns need a finer touch to get them just right. RP series is very well priced, they are the only consumer grade speaker out there right now that are worth a s***t if you ask me. Audiophile grade RF series is very pricey but if you've got the bucks, you're making a lifetime investment, they're the Hershey's of the future.

Last edited:
If the Heresys are on the floor they produce decent bass, but as you already have a sub that's not an issue.

Yes the Heresy will fill a large room, but one of the things they do well is sound alive even at very low volume. I currently have two pair of the series 1, one pair in the main bedroom without a sub. The other pair currently out of rotation but usually preside in the living rm with twin 12" subs as stands.

If you decide to give them a try and aren't happy with the results it's easy enough to unload them on ebay, there seems to be no shortage of Heresy buyers lol.

What do you mean "more body". People need to describe better because there are no universal definitions in this hobby.

According to Stereophiles glossary, “Body” is defined as a quality of roundness and robustness in reproduced sound.
To my ears the LS50’s sound fantastic on vocals, acoustic, small jazz and classical ensembles. They fall down a bit when conveying larger jazz (big band), and classical (full orchestra). I think what I’m REALLY looking for is a larger LS50. Maybe I need to be looking at something else in the KEF lineup, such as the R300 or Reference 1. I’m at a disadvantage as I’m pretty much housebound, for medical reasons, and am limited to buying online from sites that offer a good return policy.

If you're looking for more body out of a stand mount design, I highly recommend Polk LSiM703. I owned a pair of LS50 and loved a lot of what they did, but I too felt they lacked a fullness to the sound on some recordings. I ended up selling them and kept some much bigger speakers. Then I came across the Polk LSiM series. They don't get much respect because they say "Polk Audio" on them, which is a shame. They're truly high end in build quality and sound. The LSiM705 are better speakers, but they're much bigger floorstanders. The real surprise in the lineup is the 703 stand-mounter. It sounds VERY similar to its much larger bigger brother. These things sound HUGE! No sub needed, unless you MUST have that last octave. They're probably 30% bigger than the LS50 in every dimension, and a 3 way vs a 2 way. They don't sound quite as nuanced as the LS50 in some respects, but they're plenty refined in their own way. If big sound from a stand mount speaker is what you're after, these are it.

I’ve also been eying those AS-61’s, they look like they’re very similar to the R300’s as far the driver configuration, but also $700 more. I’d LOVE to get a pair of KEF Reference 1’s, but at $8k they’re more than I can justify paying. I’ll wait and see what others have to say in response to my post, but it’s looking like the Heresy’s aren’t a good fit. Will probably try the R300’s first, as I know I like the KEF sound. If those don’t do it then I’ll most likely give the Adante’s a try.

I am not familiar with the other speakers being discussed, but Heresy's I know. The mid and high drivers being horns are more directional in their dispersion than a speaker with a dome. And they not going to "disappear" like a quality traditional loudspeaker. This may be an issue with your preferred listening style.
The Heresy's other "weakness" is not a lot of bass, it's good, just not plentiful- but you already have a subwoofer for that.
On the other hand they are very lively and dynamic and will make the most of a few watts.
They are not for every one, but you won't know if you don't try.

I haven't heard a pair, but the Bryston Mini T looks like a contender. And I like Heresies, but prefer a sound less colored.

The Bryston’s were on my short list prior to buying the LS50’s. Just did my taxes and have to send Uncle Sam a big check, so it’s looking like my upgrade plans are on hold. I’m ok with it as the LS50’s along with the REL sub sound pretty damn good as it is. The whole new speaker thing might have just been a case of the whole grass is greener thing. Such is upgrade fever.

If Andrew Jones put the Adante at the level of quality/$ heard on the UB5s, I WANT them. They should be comparable to KEF reference 1. Would be just a matter of taste.
The UB5s are to my ear comparable to KEF LS50s on many terms.

The Bryston’s were on my short list prior to buying the LS50’s. Just did my taxes and have to send Uncle Sam a big check, so it’s looking like my upgrade plans are on hold. I’m ok with it as the LS50’s along with the REL sub sound pretty damn good as it is. The whole new speaker thing might have just been a case of the whole grass is greener thing. Such is upgrade fever.
The Heritage Klipsch aren't for everyone, they definitely project a different musical experience, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The best way I've been able to describe the difference is my Infinitys etc give that "you are there" presentation, while the Klipsch have that "they are here" presentation. If you've ever wondered what it would be like to have the Stones jamming in your living rm then you just might want to give them an audition.

I think Heresy lll are fantastic speakers and can very well work in a smaller room.
Read my thread about them here : http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/i-hate-my-new-klipsch-heresy-speakers.813401/
Yes they can. And if set up correctly and sitting in the sweet spot they definitely disappear throwing a huge soundstage, extending way outside the speakers with real depth and height. They can be very holographic with a different perspective then more conventional designs. Having multiple setups allows the best of both worlds. Which is better, the one I'm currently listening to.

Last edited:
Upgrade would be a misleading term. Paradigm shift would be closer. You would be going from a 'you are there' speaker to a 'they are here' speaker. Nothing wrong with that. If you want to feel like a drummer is in the room with you, there are few speakers better. I'd keep the Kefs around, though, as many recordings will still sound better through them. Nice to have both kinds, really.

Edit:
The Heritage Klipsch aren't for everyone, they definitely project a different musical experience, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The best way I've been able to describe the difference is my Infinitys etc give that "you are there" presentation, while the Klipsch have that "they are here" presentation. If you've ever wondered what it would be like to have the Stones jamming in your living rm then you just might want to give them an audition.
That's what I get for not reading all of the previous posts. I've made mine redundant.

Last edited:
I have a pair of the original Heresy 1 that I use in a small beach cottage living room with a RELQ201 subwoofer. The only reason that I use the Heresy's in that way is that I bought them for $50 and they wound up in that spot by default. If I were starting from scratch new, I would have never bought these.

The Heresy journey for me was an interesting one.....these speakers did not sound particularly good with any of the amps in my collection and I think you might be disappointed using them with a solid state amp like the one you have. I only started enjoying the Heresy's once I built a 2A3-based SET amp for these....it has about 3 watts of power so the system needs to be in a smallish room to have enough oomph to be enjoyable.

I bought the REL sub used because the Heresy's have no low end grunt....the combination of the Heresy with a sub and SET bring out the best in them. Now it's one of my most enjoyable systems to use, when I have a chance to crank them up.

IMO, Heresy III are way different from all the previous versions and sound much better. So, when people say that they dont like Heresy based on older models - it doesnt really say that much.OP was asking about the Heresy III from what I understand.

IMO, Heresy III are way different from all the previous versions and sound much better. So, when people say that they dont like Heresy based on older models - it doesnt really say that much.OP was asking about the Heresy III from what I understand.

Very true. I have very strong opinions on older Heresys but withhold judgement on the new one, not having heard it.

Back
Top Bottom