Good quality HYBRID amps?

c_corie

I have two SE amps, 1 pentode, 1 UL and also a PP triode strapped EL34 amp. They all sound good- and have their strong points and weak points, I've tried many NOS input tubes and rectifiers and improved the sound- but I'm still wanting a little more power and a little stronger sound- my amps are 3.5w-5w-16w.

Use B&W CM8 or sometimes Omega Alnico 6 towers, and a Hegel HD2 dac.

Open to hybrids or possibly even full solid state- but I want the amp to have the clarity of a good tube amp- it does't have to be overly warm- and if it's a hybrid I'd like as few tubes as possible- 1-2 input gain tubes would be best.

I can only think of Rogue audio in my sub $1500 price range- I'd go above that maybe if it were an amazing deal- also I prefer new.

I have two SE amps, 1 pentode, 1 UL and also a PP triode strapped EL34 amp. They all sound good- and have their strong points and weak points, I've tried many NOS input tubes and rectifiers and improved the sound- but I'm still wanting a little more power and a little stronger sound- my amps are 3.5w-5w-16w.

Use B&W CM8 or sometimes Omega Alnico 6 towers, and a Hegel HD2 dac.

Open to hybrids or possibly even full solid state- but I want the amp to have the clarity of a good tube amp- it does't have to be overly warm- and if it's a hybrid I'd like as few tubes as possible- 1-2 input gain tubes would be best.

I can only think of Rogue audio in my sub $1500 price range- I'd go above that maybe if it were an amazing deal- also I prefer new.
There's a great Moscode 600 on Audio Asylum right now.

I believe one of the best was a Counterpoint. The front are 6922 tubes, even a tube rectifier for their power supply. SS amp section of 200 watts. My son fried mine when using it as an amp for a PA. My body shudders as i recall opening the cover and seeing all the output transistor absolutely arced over. only the legs of the transistors were left! The 6922s were fine!

Can’t convert to UL it was custom made and the transformers were made to be in Triode more- it’s an Earle Weston amp- ordered from Australia!

Any good sounding cheapish solid state amps that “tube” people like? Yamaha? HK? Onkyo?

Can’t convert to UL it was custom made and the transformers were made to be in Triode more- it’s an Earle Weston amp- ordered from Australia!

Any good sounding cheapish solid state amps that “tube” people like? Yamaha? HK? Onkyo?
I had a McIntosh MC2505 that I thought sounded every bit as good as my best tube amps. Wish I had not sold it. :(

I believe one of the best was a Counterpoint. The front are 6922 tubes, even a tube rectifier for their power supply. SS amp section of 200 watts. My son fried mine when using it as an amp for a PA. My body shudders as i recall opening the cover and seeing all the output transistor absolutely arced over. only the legs of the transistors were left! The 6922s were fine!

Nothing wrong with Counterpoint, that actual redesign and less stressed component parts can't cure. Great sounding when they work, often they do not work, nor stay working for very long. Lots of underrated capacitors and other parts in a Counterpoint. Frequent flyer in repair shops.

Nothing wrong with Counterpoint, that actual redesign and less stressed component parts can't cure. Great sounding when they work, often they do not work, nor stay working for very long. Lots of underrated capacitors and other parts in a Counterpoint. Frequent flyer in repair shops.
Mine did not give me any trouble until my son input some DCV into it. Made a loud screech and died.

Hah, that brought back a memory!

:D

A coworker had one, maybe an SA-20. Worked with him ~10 years and it sat next to his desk with the top off most of the time. Sometimes it would leave with him on Friday and return a week or 2 later. He had the schematics & service info, was no dunce with a soldering iron, and had plenty of EEs around to consult with. He offered it to me once, I said no, although he was likely getting close to total parts replacement by that point. My suspicion is that it was a design not fully baked. He loved the way it sounded.

My Internist owned one, and it averaged 3 trips for repair a year. When it worked, it sounded superb. Reliability was very poor.

Not cheap, but late 60's to '74 Marantz equipment sounds close to something tube like. I really like my model 33 preamp and matching model 16 mono blocks.

How much power we talking? I had my luxmans (42 watt push-pull) powering 804D2s and it was ample; ive heard the same amp on 802D3s.. and it was nice as well.

I had a Counterpoint hybrid, but I heard no "tube sound" — it sounded SS, and mediocre SS at that. Also had the Luxman with 2 tubes in a little window — reviewers loved it but I didn't, it just wasn't a good amp.

My first Moscode was a revelation. I bought all three models — 75W, 150W, and 300W (the Moscode 600 Superampman mentions — awsome!)

They will probably need work, but that's the only downside. Their sound is glorious, all models. If you do the work yourself, be careful because the circuit tracks get fragile over time.

Where else would this be posted?
Someone wanted to know what was a SS amp that sounded like a tube amp. Of course, not really something that i believe is true. but for the sake of argument that would be imo, something to discuss in the SS forum, since that would go into a whole bunch of SS amps. But i am not a moderator. So if he/she/it/them, believe it is ok, they are the one getting paid the big bucks for making these kinds of decisions.

I would think that discussion of tubes in a pre-amp would qualify whether is was a dedicated pre or part of a hybrid. I guess that your use of the term "tube-like" seemed a bit judgemental to me. Sorry, not trying to be difficult.

I had a Counterpoint hybrid, but I heard no "tube sound" — it sounded SS, and mediocre SS at that. Also had the Luxman with 2 tubes in a little window — reviewers loved it but I didn't, it just wasn't a good amp.

My first Moscode was a revelation. I bought all three models — 75W, 150W, and 300W (the Moscode 600 Superampman mentions — awsome!)

They will probably need work, but that's the only downside. Their sound is glorious, all models.

A coworker had one, maybe an SA-20. ... My suspicion is that it was a design not fully baked. He loved the way it sounded.
I had the SA-100 —see #19. I also had the SA-20 for a few days. A local dealer had one, used, at a good price, and loaned it to me to try. It picked up RFI bigtime: I could hear a jumble of radio stations very low under all the music I played. I was disappointed, I wanted to like it. I believe they released a new version, SA-220, that fixed the problem.

Counterpoint made some great all-tube preamps — many regard their TOTL as "best ever". When they expanded, they went hybrid, even all SS. I only heard a couple, both problematic. Too bad, I spoke to the owner/designer once (I believe passed) and he was super nice...

Back
Top Bottom