KPOO 89.5 community radio...great soul, jazz, reggae, blues and oldies shows
KDFC 89.9 Classical
KALX 90.7 University Of Cal./Berkeley excellent varied music programming
KCSM 91.1 jazz
KALW NPR but also great acoustic music programming on weekends
KPFA Pacific Public Radio with great roots music programming on weekends
The only thing I miss about Ca.

What are they?

I live at the Jersey Shore. Near LBI. There's a small eclectic station here. WBNJ / 91.9. They play anything from the Beatles, to Pink Floyd to Nat King Cole. Awesome station. Listening to Jerry Vale right now. being Italian, perfect.

Abu Dhabi Classic FM 91.6

Really is "classic" with live personalities, drive time programs, dedications and requests.

But I miss KKUP club radio back in San Jose California :rolleyes:

Back in the OLD DAYS, we used to listen to WHFS 102.3 FM, in Bethesda, MD. They broke all kinds of intriguing bands to the area, including Little Feat, for instance.
Well, those days are LONG LONG gone, but In case you haven’t heard, one of their well known jocks, Weasel, is back on the radio waves at WTMD,
the NPR station in Towson, Maryland.
Listen to him on WTMD 89.7 FM every Friday evening from 7 – 10pm.
The program repeats Saturdays from noon to 3pm.

They stream the signal - so if I am around the house, I pump it down to the Heath/Valencias and kick back!

https://www.wtmd.org/radio/listen-wtmd

WRCJ Detroit seems to be one of the very few bright spots in this radio wasteland of ours. I don't listen to it, but at least I give 'em props for bringing classical back to Detroit, along with jazz during the overnight hours.

The best jazz station in the SF bay area area is KCSM. A local translator gave me a pretty good signal, but it was dropped a couple of years ago. KCSM also had a TV station, but it was sold as well. I just discovered that the buyer, KPJK TV, has put the KCSM radio signal on its 60.6 subchannel! A nice discovery, but odd. Neither station advertizes 60.6 that I've seen.

Edit: I get my TV OTA and am set to route it to my hifi system.

Last edited:
The best jazz station in the SF bay area area is KCSM. A local translator gave me a pretty good signal, but it was dropped a couple of years ago. KCSM also had a TV station, but it was sold as well. I just discovered that the buyer, KPJK TV, has put the KCSM radio signal on its 60.6 subchannel! A nice discovery, but odd. Neither station advertizes 60.6 that I've seen.

Outside of some jazz programming on community and college stations, it's the ONLY jazz station in the Bay Area.

Please, someone tell me if there is anything I am missing the Akron-Canton, OH area. It's a vast wasteland. Thanks

For Rochester, NY, its WGMC (aka "Jazz901"). They have about 3 paid employees, basically, everyone in the evening is a volunteer. That equation makes it work financially for a smallish city. it has a very professional sound and covers a wide format of jazz. The music director, Derrick Lucas, is a walking encyclopedia.

+1 on KCSM

I have not listened to FM in years. Any suggestions for (far) Southern Calif? (San Diego county)
Classics, vintage R&R, , ,

Back
Top Bottom