Preamp battle......

Infinity nutcase.
I've never heard either.......you have 24 hours to make the call. Put the gloves on and let the swinging begin!

Who wins, Schiit Freya or Krell KSL...head to head.

I'll take the Freya. I like a relay switched attenuator over a standard volume pot. And I like the options to have a passive pre, JFET gain stage, or 6SN7 gain stage all in one unit.

I just got a Freya, it sounds really good with just the stock no name Russian 6N8S tubes. It creates an excellent 3D soundstage, the vertical placement of instruments on something like Rush's YYZ is fun to hear.

Interesting comparison, since they can both do balanced in/out and are reasonably priced. I'd like to know what else you'll be using in the preamp battle.

As much as I love krell and the theoretical synergy with your new KSA, I think the freya will outshine.

The freya has a great circuit topology and would be my preamp of choice especially in the context of the rest of your system.

I have a friend using the freya with classe DR9s and some large infinites, sounds great.

plus the freya has a return policy, something you will not get with the KSL

FWIW I've haven't seen much praise for krell's preamps outside of the KRC, and the ones I've seen on classifieds sit forever, the krell amps do not.

Last edited:
If it was a KRC, I would say Krell. But that Freya should best a KSL. Plus the Freya is new I presume with all the benefits that grants. I am also jonesing to try a Freya myself.

Last edited:
I think the match is over. And the winner is.......................Schiit Freya!

Thanks all for playing.

The spectators in the front row are Infinity Renaissance 90's & Krell KSA 80. It's the building of a new system comprised of new and vintage.

I found the KSL at our local shop yesterday, what a tank of a machine. I think what I'll do is order the Freya,once we get everything setup and going I'll put a deposit on the KSL and we'll do a side by side and see who wins.

I think the match is over. And the winner is.......................Schiit Freya!

Thanks all for playing.

The spectators in the front row are Infinity Renaissance 90's & Krell KSA 80. It's the building of a new system comprised of new and vintage.

I found the KSL at our local shop yesterday, what a tank of a machine. I think what I'll do is order the Freya,once we get everything setup and going I'll put a deposit on the KSL and we'll do a side by side and see who wins.

So we had a battle where neither pre-amp was listened to? So exactly what was this, a tickle fight? Sounds like the managers have just agreed to a bout, but no fighting has been done.

Very misleading I would say. They tar and feather shucksters out in the country for this kind of thing. :rflmao:

Regards
Mister Pig

I’m gonna take a wild guess that nobody here has heard both in the same system in the same room on the same day.

Lighten up fella's..........the idea was to gather up some possible feedback on either one.

In the not to distant future some reviews will be forthcoming on both. Now if you have heard one or the other please insert below.

:beerchug:

I’m gonna take a wild guess that nobody here has heard both in the same system in the same room on the same day.

While not in the same room at the same time, I have heard both in the same system. The Krell KSL Preamps have a very analytical presentation. Some would say accurate, some would say dry. The Freya is very musical when matched with good tubes. The Freya I heard was running Psvane cv181 TII's. It sounded really musical to me and I remember thinking that it was indeed a step up from the previous KSL preamp. The amps running at the time where Krell KMA 160's and the speakers where Von Sweikert VR 5's. Cabling was MIT throughout. This was not a goodwill system by any stretch. I thought that the Freya would be out of place in the system, but I was pleasantly surprised and it set me on the path to wanting to own one myself. The fact that it was purchased as a back up to the Krell which was being sent out for preventative maintenance was surprising to me.

The owner, however, likes the Sizzle and clean sound of the Krell better. Even though he has the tubes, he uses the Fet setting more. Don't get me wrong, the Krell Preamp is very good. The one I would get, money permitting is the KRC. Which is what would have been paired with my KSA 250 amp and is incredible. The fact that the Freya can get you so close to this level of Performance at half the cost speaks very highly of what the boys from Schiit Audio have accomplished.

Just came in today. Doing a little tube "burn-in."

6eF0PpT.jpg

Pretty. That looks awesome. I hope you enjoy it. I'll have to check that out, as I've always wanted to get more into tubes. I wonder if Schiit has any tube/hybrid amps? That would work with my AVR.

Any opinions on the Freya now that some time has passed? Can't find any formal reviews. Particularly interested in the balanced mode.

I ended up trying out something different so I can't comment on the schiit freya. Still working on everything, it's not out of the cards yet.

Back
Top Bottom