Hi new here. Question.

If only they didn't take up so much space. In my journeys I've seen some lovely consoles

Styli are easy to get for these, and replacement cartridges if necessary.

I usually test the changer with a few junk records, to see how it functions ( I have a bunch of vg/vg+ Cars albums for this purpose) before I even try a new needle. The mechanism, and often the motor is gummed up with old grease and oil; but I've not yet had a motor that couldn't be made to run with a thorough clean and oil.

I'm glad you want to keep and use it. Consoles are under-appreciated pieces of swanky awesomeness!

Styli are easy to get for these, and replacement cartridges if necessary.

I usually test the changer with a few junk records, to see how it functions ( I have a bunch of vg/vg+ Cars albums for this purpose) before I even try a new needle. The mechanism, and often the motor is gummed up with old grease and oil; but I've not yet had a motor that couldn't be made to run with a thorough clean and oil.

I'm glad you want to keep and use it. Consoles are under-appreciated pieces of swanky awesomeness!

The changer seems to work. I do have a slew of questions regarding the cartridge/stylus. Would love to see pictures/videos of a similar one which is spot on. This way I have a baseline to compare.

The carts usually just attach to the arm with a couple of screws, and the needle kind of clips in. You'll want to nail down which table it is, and go from there.

From the picture, it looks like it might be a Voice Of Music changer, in which case www.thevoicofmusic.com is the resource for parts. There are several YouTube videos on servicing these tables, too.

1) A female AudioKarma member? We usually joke about how disapproving each others wives are about our stereos. But seriously welcome to the Forums!
2) Some of yall are kinda being a-holes about her lack of information, maybe its sarcasm idk but be friendly guys.
3) As for the console, it was probably manufactured to be a cheaper all-in-one. Solid state at that time was mediocre. The Tube-amp powered ones are usually worth a bit more. As far as value goes it all depends on the buyer. Maybe $300 on a good day?

2) Some of yall are kinda being a-holes about her lack of information, maybe its sarcasm idk but be friendly guys.

Yeah some of the earlier posts were rough.

Imho the console itself looks to be in good cosmetic shape, has clean lines, real wood and should look nice in her office.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of GE turntables:

1963:

20180415_163608.jpg 20180415_163623.jpg 20180415_163652.jpg

1964:

20180415_163753.jpg 20180415_163803.jpg 20180415_163815.jpg

This is the cart that came with my 1962 GE turntable. The stylus is on the end of the brass L - shaped part.

20180415_171724.jpg 20180415_171741.jpg

Hope that helps!

Not what many audiophiles dream of, but thousands of families enjoyed them in the past so unless your looking for top rated gear it should be able to provide enjoyable music for most people. Many of us that had these in our families long ago now might not wish to go back to one, but for those who have not really experienced much other than smart phones with ear buds, they will find them both enjoyable and quite the conversational piece.

That one post here where they complain about the room they took up, don't kid yourself they problaby have two walls worth of gear and three spare rooms for all their back up gear and LP storage. They have to sneak their gear in the dark of the early morning to try and keep their wife from kicking them out of the house. ;)

Please don't take me wrong. There is an Amperex console on the local CL as we speak. Fat monoblocks. Awesome pre and receiver. Fabulous drivers. And a price tag of $1800. No doubt there were some AWESOME consoles produced. AWESOME. But we all know what happened in the 70,s.

I like the first pic, too. Don't usually see a 50-60 year old piece of Masonite looking so good. That maybe says a lot about the overall unit?

1) A female AudioKarma member? We usually joke about how disapproving each others wives are about our stereos. But seriously welcome to the Forums!
3) As for the console, it was probably manufactured to be a cheaper all-in-one. Solid state at that time was mediocre. The Tube-amp powered ones are usually worth a bit more. As far as value goes it all depends on the buyer. Maybe $300 on a good day?

Guess I should have used a dozen smilie faces.
The "thread is worthless without pitchures" thingie was not applicable since there was one pitchure supplied at the time of my post.

Well, to be totally honest, her gender had nothing to do with this. Initially, there was no avatar. That was added later in the thread.

Second, the almost total lack of useful information provided was questionable. almost like something a troll would do.

Finally, that second post simply restating the model number, incorrectly, and adding no new information was posted in what might be construed in a snarky manner.

ergo, the snarky responses.

In any case, since it was a sincere query, and hopefully he/she now knows that some information to go by is needed, welcome to the forum.

Back
Top Bottom