Help with Chromecast Audio

Has your Chrome version been updated to v66?

Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you trying to stream using Chrome? All of the streaming services I can think of have a stand-alone program that does not use the browser. Most do have browser based web versions, but they usually are inferior.

Also, I have found that if I ever lose control of the stream on my Android phone (using Spotify), stopping the app and starting again connects it again. You have to really stop the app from the open app drawer though, not just close it, otherwise it keeps running in the background.

Also, I have found that if I ever lose control of the stream on my Android phone (using Spotify), stopping the app and starting again connects it again. You have to really stop the app from the open app drawer though, not just close it, otherwise it keeps running in the background.

You can use the devices tab of the Google Home app to stop the playback if whichever app you’re streaming through loses touch with the CCA.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you trying to stream using Chrome? All of the streaming services I can think of have a stand-alone program that does not use the browser. Most do have browser based web versions, but they usually are inferior.

I primarily stream a local radio station's internet feed via their website in Chrome.

Used to work fine from my laptop. I'm listening to it now via my android phone.

I think I've found a work around solution.

And it isn't router/wi-fi related.

It's the Vipre anti-virus/firewall software I have running on the laptop.

Haven't pinpointed the exact root cause, but I think it is a two step work around.

1. Add a trusted IP thru the firewall for the CCA
2. Disable the software firewall, but just temporarily.

With just the IP 'exception' my laptop still can't find any cast destinations. But when I also disable the firewall, then try casting, my laptop CAN find the CCA.

Then, I re-enable the firewall and the laptop can still find the CCA.

But, I have to do this every time I reboot/restart my laptop.

On a clean restart, the laptop will not find my CCA. But if I do a quick disable firewall, cast (which then finds the CCA) and re-enable the CCA, then this will work.

I am not familiar with Viper, but I would think that there is a way to add an exception to your firewall to let the CCA signal pass freely in both directions. I don't have time to look at the moment, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find the ports and protocols the CCA is using. I'm glad you may have found a solution, and it makes me think that others with similar issues would benefit from hearing about this. :thumbsup:

I am not familiar with Viper, but I would think that there is a way to add an exception to your firewall to let the CCA signal pass freely in both directions. I don't have time to look at the moment, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find the ports and protocols the CCA is using. I'm glad you may have found a solution, and it makes me think that others with similar issues would benefit from hearing about this. :thumbsup:
I guess I'll have to do some more digging, but I did add an exception, by IP address. By itself, it didn't seem to work.

I can live with the work around as it means only disabling the Vipre firewall until I establish a casting connection to my CCA. Then I can re-enable the firewall and can resume my usual on-line routine.

I can even stop casting, then restart it and the CCA can still be found w/o having to disable the firewall feature.

It's only after a restart or reboot that my laptop can't find my CCA unless I disable the firewall.

Just as a follow up.

The firewall disable/cast/enable 'work around' is giving me consistent results.

After firing up the laptop in the morning from a cold start, I go thru the 3 step process above and connect to my CCA.

If I leave for errands and turn off my laptop, I just repeat the above steps (or occasionally I have to reboot due to other gremlins I fight with), and can happily cast from my laptop.

I've done this several times over the last couple of days and it has worked every time.

With the CCAs being $15 until the end of Feb, I have two more on the way to me. Indispensable and easy to set up and use IMHO, and a lot more reliable and better sounding than Bluetooth (which has widely known audio and connection issues, and not many devices support Bluetooth AptX). YMMV of course. :)

Recently tried a CCA , takes too much effort and sounds no better than my bluetooth 4.1. So I am returning it.

I made the same choice. Tried the Chromecast Audio over and over. It would play for a while, then I would have to hit the "cast" again on any apps I tried. Not worth the aggrevation to me. Went back to my Logitech bluetooth audio adaptor. It worked right away, and works all the time, every time. Lordy I hate Google/Chrome. I got so disgusted I even removed the Chrome browser. Firefox is quicker for me anyway so.....

Yeah, I don’t get all the problems a few are having :dunno: . Mine has worked like a champ from day one.

Me either. CCA does have some idiosyncracies that I was unaware of during the first set-up: (1) casting can only be performed from a chrome browser; (2) multiple CCA units cannot be used simultaneously; and (3) needed to download google something or other on the IPAD before I could cast from the CPU. But once set up, it has worked nearly flawlessly, and can be moved to different receivers/amps in different rooms. Just bought a second CCA for the $15 and will use permanently on a system in another room, without having to remove the first one and re-connect. Because I mostly stream playlists from YT, being able to hear them on better speakers in other rooms is a big deal for me, rather than having to hear music on smaller speakers that are hooked up to the computer.

Me either. CCA does have some idiosyncracies that I was unaware of during the first set-up: (1) casting can only be performed from a chrome browser; (2) multiple CCA units cannot be used simultaneously; and (3) needed to download google something or other on the IPAD before I could cast from the CPU. But once set up, it has worked nearly flawlessly, and can be moved to different receivers/amps in different rooms. Just bought a second CCA for the $15 and will use permanently on a system in another room, without having to remove the first one and re-connect. Because I mostly stream playlists from YT, being able to hear them on better speakers in other rooms is a big deal for me, rather than having to hear music on smaller speakers that are hooked up to the computer.

Being new to the whole streaming thing I have been following all the streaming and streaming device posts the last 2 years so I can learn somethings. I have mentioned it in another thread, the same handful seem to be having the issues. To me, someone that spent 20+yrs listening to equipment operators explaining symptoms, IMHO most of these issues sound like operator error. Kind of like when my pops calls about something his HT is or isn’t doing. Of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with it when my brother actually goes and looks at it. Not saying it’s the case everytime but I am pretty sure it is a lot of the time.

:beerchug:

Yeah, I don’t get all the problems a few are having :dunno: . Mine has worked like a champ from day one.
It's more about the thread than anything else. I mean, think about it--one member asks for help and we all chip in with some ideas, and now we have CCA/Google negativity creeping into the thread. There's nothing wrong with anyone disliking the CCA or Google starting their own thread, which we can then choose to skip reading--it's just disrespectful IMHO to hijack a thread with negativity when Erik just wanted some assistance.

But anyway, yeah, I agree. I had a couple of CCA hiccups early on when I got my first one, but lately it's a couple of minutes and a few taps and these little beasties are paired up and running. My RIVA Arena has never worked via Bluetooth, yet its built-in Chromecast has worked well (but not quite perfectly, I'll admit...yet I could even use it on a portable WiFi router while I was traveling). I've also casted to the Nexus Player and the NVidia Shield which of course have Chromecast built in--the Nexus Player is just too outdated to work all that well, but the Shield is fast and connects nearly instantly. The technology works! But I fully agree that there are always a few demons and gotchas that can trip things up.

One thing I can say in favor of my own CCA setup is that I invested in some good networking equipment, with a single wireless access point that covers the house and yard better than my three old Linksys consumer-grade routers could ever do. I think signal strength and quality has a lot to do with how well a CCA functions, and, having the Home app set up properly. I think a lot of the issues don't come so much from the Chromecast technology itself, but all the other gremlins between our devices and the CC/CCA units. Not everyone's situation is the same, or ideal. And if we can share ideas here without using "I sent mine back" as a "cure," it's just that much more helpful. :)

-it's just disrespectful IMHO to hijack

I am guilty and apologize to past and future posters! (It will happen again) Part of my problem is I forget what thread, about the same subject I am reading and start posting :confused:

I am guilty and apologize to past and future posters! (It will happen again) Part of my problem is I forget what thread, about the same subject I am reading and start posting :confused:

I don't feel as though you've hijacked--you've actually said it worked! :D If we can help someone like Erik work through issues and then let that help someone decide to keep or return their CCA, no problem. But just a random "sent mine back" does none of us any good.

Back
Top Bottom