Is Tidal in trouble?

As long as Tidal continues to offer a military discount ... not going anywhere. I stream lossy .. so I have numerous other choices.

As far as apps ... I'm not that type of user. I use a laptop/usb Dac to home 2.1 ch stereo. I select an album to stream in
the same manner I choose an LP to play. Select album and sit down to hear it. My streaming (lossy) sound a damn site better than I ever thought it would some years ago .. still not done with upgrades.

The way I decide what album to stream is usually done with books. o_O Yes, books. Example: picked up Jazz: The Essential Guide to Artists & Albums off eBay for $4.36 (including S&H). I listen to recommended Artists & Albums I have not heard before. Not to decide what physical media to buy (although that happens sometimes) but just to listen.

I still buy some physical media ... mostly Vinyl (crate digging is fun). I'm not abandoning or selling my physical media but it's no longer my main focus.

Been looking for the place on the Tidal player to inquire about the military discount? Can't seem to find it.....

Well I did google music for a long time. I switched to Tidal and I am very happy. I like being able to have such a large selection so easy to get to. I am not into rap but it is not hard to push one button and go to the stuff I like. My son who is 25 said it is aimed at young folks, not old guys like me who do not know how to work computers. LOL I have to say he is pretty much right. I do not know a lot but enough to get around. I do think for now Tidal has such a large library of music it is also for me easy to use. I am not sure for me I will ever listen to CDs again. I also am not sure why I need to download music when it is all at my fingertips to listen to. I do collect some vinyl but do I really need all the files stored on my computer taking up space. In reality, all of our audio gear and music is just ours for now. Tidal is not perfect but for me, it works really well.

I like that Tidal and Qobuz can be integrated into Audirvana. With Tidal I ignore the rap/urban music or what's popular today, that's why it's up front. Tidal added the ECM label, so a ton of jazz just became available. I did notice using Tidal, that albums I save as favorites become little played after a while. So that $20/month is well spent instead of buying CDs. I've pretty much moved all in on Tidal and barely listen to my LPs anymore..

I pay extra for Qobuz mostly to not support MQA in any way but ended up gettiing the bonus of a better Jazz catalog. Win win!

Back
Top Bottom