Kenwood KL-555A 12" Woofer replacements

Pioneered

I just acquired a set of Kenwood KL-555A's that had one 12" woofer replaced with a poorly match Pyle driver.
On top of that the Pyle drivers foam suspension was shot and didn't fit properly so I pulled it and tossed it.
Now I have some cheap 70"s Fisher woofers taking the place of both woofers but, find the sound too tinny if that makes sense.
I am looking for a decent pair of 12" 8 ohm woofers that will fit and sound better without the tinniness because I'm having a hard time finding an original Trio T10-0041-05.
I've been shopping around a little but really don't know a good speaker from a sad one. I've seen these on an auction site but, still am unsure this is what I'm looking for. I don't have endless wealth and am on SS so I need to get the best for my buck, what is you all's opinion on what I should get? Thank you any any help.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-Single-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-12-Woo...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Kenwood KL-555A w- Fisher.JPG
Yeah, the cabinets need a lot of TLC but, that I can do.

They appear to be sealed boxes, which simplifies things. Measure and calculate the internal volume of the enclosure, and then work backwards from that volume (and the low end cut off spec) to figure out what the resonant frequency and Q of the driver should be, and then buy something similar.

They appear to be sealed boxes, which simplifies things. Measure and calculate the internal volume of the enclosure, and then work backwards from that volume (and the low end cut off spec) to figure out what the resonant frequency and Q of the driver should be, and then buy something similar.

I haven't a clue as to what you just said but, the woofers that are original to it were and are 12inch 8 ohm 90W.
Even though I lack the knowledge of knowing what a good speaker is from a poor one the knowledge I do have still tells me ALL 12" 8 ohm 90W speakers are not created equal hence my question on what would be a good speaker replacement for the originals and still be cost effective. ie Brand name, type, construction?

Thank you sir, this is what I was basically looking for, a recommendation of sorts, a place to purchase a good/quality speaker in the size and type I needed.
As far as fitment I know there is no way of knowing and I'm sure a sales person can help me with that given the diameter of the hole.
Thank you again. LiftHat.gif

Thank you sir, this is what I was basically looking for, a recommendation of sorts, a place to purchase a good/quality speaker in the size and type I needed.
As far as fitment I know there is no way of knowing and I'm sure a sales person can help me with that given the diameter of the hole.
Thank you again. View attachment 1169299

Your most welcome! As far as knowing "proper fitment" goes there is a way of knowing that Nat mentioned. Unfortunately I don't understand it either. That said a salesperson hopefully will be able to help with that. Might want to have the volume of the box on hand (width x depth x height - on the inside) when you call. Bob

Okay, Now I understand after visiting the website Rockon1 suggested, what you were trying to tell me, it seems it depends on the sq. ft. of your cabinet to what woofer you install, each woofer needs a certain sq.ft. to preform properly.
Sorry, somethings need to be explained to me a little more for me to catch on.

Your most welcome! As far as knowing "proper fitment" goes there is a way of knowing that Nat mentioned. Unfortunately I don't understand it either. That said a salesperson hopefully will be able to help with that. Might want to have the volume of the box on hand (width x depth x height - on the inside) when you call. Bob

Thank you again sir, I just calculated the sq. ft. and they have the recommendations for each speaker within the product details.

Thank you again sir, I just calculated the sq. ft. and they have the recommendations for each speaker within the product details.

Ha, I didn't even notice until you mentioned it! Cool. For the record I have no affiliation with PE but have had good experiences buying from them. Bob

Ha, I didn't even notice until you mentioned it! Cool. For the record I have no affiliation with PE but have had good experiences buying from them. Bob

Thank you Bob, after researching a little more they seem to be the cheapest also. I've seen the same brand and type for much more.
Had no idea drivers/speakers had gone up that much............of course it's been I think at least 20 years since I even shopped for a pair.
Ron

Glad you found information about appropriate box size for the drivers you are looking at. It would be a good idea also to ask what sort of enclosure they would work best in - ported or sealed - since that is another factor that driver specs affect.

Glad you found information about appropriate box size for the drivers you are looking at. It would be a good idea also to ask what sort of enclosure they would work best in - ported or sealed - since that is another factor that driver specs affect.
I'll do that sir, thank you. LiftHat.gif

Back
Top Bottom