Scam Alert on the Bay

Guest127

I just started searching and , once again,the same ads for very high end TT's have appeared,with real low starting prices. They are from multiple sellers(not really). They are a buy it now ,outside of the site. I flagged them before and just did it again. They seem too appear every couple of weeks. It is a scam. Don't click on them! Hope this helps someone.

Yeah... lot of seller accounts being hacked apparently. Someone keeps posting the same pair of Tandberg decks in separate listings, always a different seller and often a super high feedback seller. Listed with $0.99 opening bid and the BIN link as a picture inside so it gets past their automated listing tools. I've had those two killled at least half a dozen times in the past week or two, just popped up again this morning.

John

it's been like that for a couple month now with high end audio gear and not just turntables. It's usually an offer that's very low yet not too low to realize it's a scam at first sight. It's always under a real hijacked seller id, some with very good reputations, and it's always telling you to do the transaction out of eBay. Very commonly it goes something like: "please contact my wife at some@email.com because I will be out of town on work this week with no internet connection". I get them in my feed a lot and eBay typically removes those listings already when I get there, but it's disturbing that it's been going on for so long.

I get the thing on CL listings. They have a phone # to call, but their text message is not set up. Then I get a text message wanting my email, so their "Mom" or "Sister" that they are listing for, can get back to me. Or they won't put a contact in the reply section, but they type out their email to bypass the CL security.

I just started searching and , once again,the same ads for very high end TT's have appeared,with real low starting prices. They are from multiple sellers(not really). They are a buy it now ,outside of the site. I flagged them before and just did it again. They seem too appear every couple of weeks. It is a scam. Don't click on them! Hope this helps someone.
Can you be more specific? We all knew there were ebay scammers before you posted this, and what you've written doesn't increase our knowledge.

Um, no, I don't think we ALL knew. Just recently somebody over in the Oracle thread fell for one of these, but got it straightened out without financial harm. So this warning/reminder is useful and welcome IMO. Thanks for taking the time.

Well , they are all back again this morning ! All I can say is if it looks to good to be true ,it's a scam. If you see an Oracle TT with a starting bid of $11 ,and you click to a further description,and it's a big "Sale", STOP !

Recently ran into the same thing on Amazon concerning Jamo speakers. They claim Amazon won't let them list as "new" because the boxes are opened for damage inspection and to contact through Gmail. The Gmail address is purposely set up with spaces between the lettering so as not to alert Amazon.

Tried like hell to get Amazon to do something, they insisted the sellers were legit. I contacted Google about the situation, they were a lot more interested in who was trying to use the Internet to scam than Amazon. The ads were summarily removed, still show up but don't stay up for very long now. Hopefully these identity thieves are being harshly dealt with once caught.

Not just high end audio equipment but also any high end luxury goods, watches etc. The old saying applies if to good to be true it's a scam.

Back
Top Bottom