Minty Buddy Holly 78

True, the Crickets is the correct name when Buddy Holly was alive. And also, Norman Petty was a shrewd businessman, and one heck of a record producer and recording engineer.

One of Buddy Holly's touring sax players was Bobby Keys (15 years old), who also played with Bobby Vee. After Buddy's death in '59, Bobby Vee toured with the Crickets which included Bobby Keys. In 1964, The Rolling Stones were playing the San Antonio Teen Fair and Keith Richards hit it off with Bobby Keys. Years later, Bobby played sax on Brown Sugar and is essential to the Stones early 70s sound. Kinda "neat" this Buddy Holly/Stones connection.

Of course, The Stones' cover of "Not Fade Away," with its Bo Diddly beat, is a keeper. Check out this Brian Jones kid playing the harp.

No just The Crickets....Here is my excellent first pressing of their first LP.

View attachment 1170782 View attachment 1170783 View attachment 1170784 View attachment 1170785

Holly had already recorded for another label under his own name, so to avoid legal problems he needed a new name for his group. As the Crickets recalled in John Goldrosen's book Buddy Holly - His Life and Music, they were inspired by other groups named after birds. They were then considering insect-centered names, apparently unaware of the Bronx R&B vocal group the Crickets, who recorded for Jay-Dee. They almost chose the name Beetles: years later, the Beatles chose their name partly in homage to the Crickets.

In 1957 Norman Petty arranged for the Crickets' recordings to be marketed under two separate names. The solo vocals were released as being by Buddy Holly, and the songs with dubbed backing vocals were issued as being by the Crickets. Petty reasoned correctly that disc jockeys might be reluctant to program a single artist too heavily but would play records by two seemingly different groups. Some disc jockeys referred to the band as "Buddy Holly and the Crickets", but record labels never used this wording until after Holly's death.

Oh my, that's a thing of beauty...!

Always wondered what is meant by "minty". Looks mint but can't be verified as new? I've seen auction items described as "minty" but I suppose the seller can't actually say it's "mint" without some kind of proof. Is there a difference between "near mint" and "minty"?

Always wondered what is meant by "minty". Looks mint but can't be verified as new? I've seen auction items described as "minty" but I suppose the seller can't actually say it's "mint" without some kind of proof. Is there a difference between "near mint" and "minty"?

"Near mint" means it is close to mint (as it left the factory) condition, and "minty" means it smells or tastes of one of the varieties of mint such as spearmint or peppermint.

"Near mint" means it is close to mint (as it left the factory) condition, and "minty" means it smells or tastes of one of the varieties of mint such as spearmint or peppermint.
So, I suppose if the record still smells, it must be mint.

Speaking of 78's.... I got this one last month...it's a Jimmy & Tommy Dorsey song that charted a few times called "Marie".
Note that it's a 7" diameter and marked to use a 1 mil Lp needle.

index.php

Attachments

• 2018-04-24 164403.JPG
    2018-04-24 164403.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 67
Only 78's that I have is one of my dad when he played in an Army twenty piece big band (played sax).

The other is of my grandmother on my dad's side playing with a band my grandfather was in.

Back
Top Bottom