Looking to buy class T amp with DAC - help needed

Solist

Hi! I recently gave my father a pair of Dual CL136 speakers (35W/sensitivity unknown). He will be using them to listen to music via PC, so now I am searching for an affordable amp to run them (around 100€).

He will probably listen mostly from youtube, but I am planning on building him a small digital library.

I am into vintage gear, so I have no idea what to look for when buying new amps, dacs etc.

So far I have found the SMSL SA-50 PLUS, which looks like a nice amp, but I would like to hear more from you before deciding what to buy.

The Topping TP-60 is hard to beat. Liquid midrange and rock solid bass. Parts Express often has them on sale.
The Topping TP-60 does not have built in DAC. He will have to get external DAC to use with this amp.

A quick lookup on the internet shows that the Duals are 4Ohm so that's something to consider when selecting an amplifier. The SMSL amp looks decent with everything built-in that OP needs. There is also Topping VX1 and TP-30 which are amps with built-in DACs. Not as powerful as SMSL and without a display but Topping usually has good reviews.

Thank you for all the replies! The Topping amps looks good, maybe I will take a look if I can find used ones, and then buy a separate DAC.
What specs exactly should I be looking when buying digital amps?

If you are into vintage gear, why not to get your father a vintage amp/receiver and external DAC? Even something cheap like ELE D01 or Chromecast Audio DACs. I am using both and they are fine with vintage gear.

As to the T-amps, make sure they can handle 4 Ohm speakers. Most of the T-amps do and actually almost double their power going from 8 to 4 Ohms but with a lot more distortion.

I completely forgot about the Ohm ratings, thanks for pointing that out!

I am a bit hesitant going vintage, mainly because vintage amps are usually larger and there is not a lot of space on the desk.
I might take a look at vintage, but I am trying to avoid them, since I doubt my father would want to connect something that is 40+ years old to his pc, where most of his projects are saved.

Then the SMSL or Topping would work nicely. Small enclosure, cool tech look next to the PC and decent power especially if he's sitting at his desk listening to the music.

Well if I am lucky to find a used TP60, I will buy it. Thank you for all the information, much appreciated! :)

I've owned a variety of T-amps including Toppings and while they sound pretty good none compare with the SQ of this $69 Volt+. It's more expensive brother the $129 Volt+D uses a double TPA3118 chip.

BsHXOCU.jpg

I've owned a variety of T-amps including Toppings and while they sound pretty good none compare with the SQ of this $69 Volt+. It's more expensive brother the $129 Volt+D uses a double TPA3118 chip.

BsHXOCU.jpg

What PSU are you using with that?

Eric

Back
Top Bottom