SX1010 Quick Freshen up and alignment

kevzep

Its all about the Music
Hi Guys, I have always wanted to hear an SX1010, and what better way to spend some time with one than to have a customer to bring one in for me to give a birthday.
The owner kind of got a bit stitched up with this, he bought it as a "restored" unit, but clearly the work had not been done. Whoever did the work replaced only half the caps on the regulated supply board, and with some no name brand.
Stereo FM light was on all the time (dodgy electro cap in the tuner), tuner was out of whack, one channel running hot, no trimmers replaced, not to mention some dodgy repair work using the wrong transistors...
Then there were the radiant blue LED's fitted, it looked ridiculous, and so blue you could not focus on the dial and meters. I fitted some warm white drop in replacements and now it looks period correct.
I used this forum as the data base, I got a good BOM from a thread in here, and set to replacing every last possible dodgy component.
Then I aligned the tuner and set bias and DC offset, and now while I work on a Sansui X1, I am listening to this 1010.
What an amp, I just love the sound of this thing!! Its got such an authoritative and solid sound, nice top end, sharp and clear, but soft at the same time.
I listened to it for a couple of days before I did the work on it, and by comparison it was a bit soggy...So its definitely worth taking the time to do the work and recap these and change out all the dodgy transistors etc...It responded very positively to having the work done. Its right up there with the G9000 I have to say.
Thank you to all the regular members who post such incredibly helpful information in this forum, you guys rock!!
Couple of pictures to check out this very clean example.
IMG_6004.JPG IMG_5995.JPG IMG_5996.JPG IMG_5997.JPG IMG_6003.JPG IMG_6002.JPG

Very nice Kev - looks beautiful now. :thumbsup:
Thanks John, I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.....
You should have a good listen to one of these if you ever get the chance, they really are quite impressive...

Thanks John, I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.....
You should have a good listen to one of these if you ever get the chance, they really are quite impressive...
+1
One of the 1st receivers to boast 100wpc. Its Achilles' heel is the location of the regulated power supply board on the chassis underside (where air flow cooling is somewhat compromised).

+1
One of the 1st receivers to boast 100wpc. Its Achilles' heel is the location of the regulated power supply board on the chassis underside (where air flow cooling is somewhat compromised).
Seems to be a thing with Pioneer, toasty regulated supplies.
Of course I completely rebuilt this one, new silicon, new pass transistors, new resistors and of course high temp caps. So I would say it will run toasty again for a few years to come.
Certainly not quite as bad as the 1980 regulated supply...

But if one ever comes my way I'll be grabbing it for sure...

To help with heat dissipation, I installed 2 additional small heatsinks onto the back of the stock L-shaped heatsink; small computer heatsinks which mount with an adhesive backing work well.

51TJOt88gqL.jpg

To help with heat dissipation, I installed 2 additional small heatsinks onto the back of the stock L-shaped heatsink; small computer heatsinks which mount with an adhesive backing work well.

View attachment 1172207
Those are great, I'll order some of those up and install. I have another recap/restore to do for the same guy so the 1010 will be on my bench playing music whilst I am doing the work to the AU777.
So i should be able order some of those and get them installed before he picks it up..

Nice one!! Great idea!!

No problem with heat dissipation thru the adhesive backing? Is that as good as metal to metal?
I'm wondering if the backing would impede heat transfer to some degree... :idea:

Nice job Kevin. :thumbsup: The owner is sure to be pleased.

How does it measure up on the bench?

No problem with heat dissipation thru the adhesive backing? Is that as good as metal to metal?
I'm wondering if the backing would impede heat transfer to some degree... :idea:

The adhesive backing on small computer heatsinks have a thermal conductivity of ~0.6 W/m-K (e.g., 3M 8810); for comparison silicone/zinc oxide thermal grease has a thermal conductivity of ~0.74 W/m-K (e.g., Wakefield 120).

Nice job Kevin. :thumbsup: The owner is sure to be pleased.

How does it measure up on the bench?
It measures great, less distortion than spec, more power than spec, Pioneer were really on their game when they designed this unit, and again, if I ever come across one, I will be buying!!

Watch the clearance on the bottom plate. There's something less than 1/4" (no metric for this Colonial rabble!:rockon:) btwn the heatsink and the bottom cover. Hit the heatsink with the bottom cover and you'll most likely crack the power board.

Watch the clearance on the bottom plate. There's something less than 1/4" (no metric for this Colonial rabble!:rockon:) btwn the heatsink and the bottom cover. Hit the heatsink with the bottom cover and you'll most likely crack the power board.

Yes I know about the clearance, thanks, I really dont want to be damaging anything...

I do both metric and imperial, fluent in both....

Hey Kevzep where you located, I have a 1010 i have been listening to but started acting up would like to get recap done.
It was my dads he listened to gospel music all the time set in an old shop. Almost got throwed away. Untill I found it.
Could use some help.
Thanks Gary E.

Hey Kevzep where you located, I have a 1010 i have been listening to but started acting up would like to get recap done.
It was my dads he listened to gospel music all the time set in an old shop. Almost got throwed away. Untill I found it.
Could use some help.
Thanks Gary E.
I live in Auckland, New Zealand...
Maybe if you disclose your location, someone could help you out. Unless you live in New Zealand there is little chance I will be of any help.

Back
Top Bottom