How much was a glass of draft when you first could go to the bar?

In Milwaukee 1972 the standard price was around 25 cents for the locally brewed swill. Humpin' Hanna's on E. Locust had 1 cent beer nights on Thursdays for a while. The cheapest carryout I recall was a quart of Green Bay brewed Rahr's for 27 cents.

Timeframe- 1964-ish....probably 20 or 25 cents, don`t remember because we always bought several pitchers at a time, not individual beers....

After hours (past 10 p.m.), we had to get those white, round paper 32-oz. containers of draft if you wanted to take beer off the bar`s premises....

35 cent Yuengling bottles in eastern PA. Mid 70s. The foam was on the bottom. Fit any shape glass.

Back in those days, did you ever go to a club in Tamaqua called "The Queen Victoria" ? Man, that place was slammin` & jammin`on Friday and Saturday nights !

Lucky Lagar 89 cents a six pack at the grocery store, about $3.50 a case. A case of beer and a few Fox Deluxe frozen pizzas for under $5 - life was good. And of course the infamous 25 cent pitcher Tuesday's at 2:00 in the afternoon. Went up 25 cents an hour... Lots of really bad cheap beer, and 8-ball. The pool games degraded commensurate with the rise of the pitcher price.

Same timeframe as the peak of the silver-faced receivers...ah, the good ole days!

Last edited:
When I became drinking age, I repaired jukeboxes and kept the pinball machines working. Never had to pay for a beer when I wanted one at the bar, the barman was always generous. This was in 1982 onward.

I do remember when a 6 pack was $1.29 and a full keg was $35, after you got the deposit back.

In England,cheapest i remember for a pint is one shilling.Fresh Morrocan,Nepalese,Thai,Jamaican and very good Afghan-£10 for quarter of an ounce.
Halcyon days.......

$2.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale pint, 1987
Now $6
50 cent PBR drafts.
Now $2 on happy hour.
But there is no inflation......

I was underage and we were paying 10 cents for a draft at a bar called Coggins
in Hamburg, New York. A buck could last you awhile and the bartender didn't care
because we told him we were going to Hilbert college (which we didn't) at the time.

I'm trying to remember how much Quarter Barrels were in the early 70's. Seems like they were $20 bucks or less. Is that right?

In 1967 in Nova Scotia, the drinking age was 21 years old and a 12oz draught was 20cents going up to 25 cents in 1968. A double of anything, rhum Vodka, etc... was priced at 50 cents including the mix. Those prices were valid at clubs belonging to the Canadians Armed Forces. Downtown bars had draughts priced from 45 cents to 60 cents, depending on the bars. A bottle of beer downtown was priced at around 75 cents. While on training in Quebec in early 1967, just before going to Nova Scotia, an 8oz draught was 5 cents with a limit of 5 glass. The drinking age was lowered from 21 to 19 in Nova Scotia on the 13 of April 1971.
The Nova Scotia government has created a minimum price for alcohol in 2008, ending the practice by downtown Halifax bars by offering dollar-a-drink nights.
The minimum bars can now charge is $2.50 per serving, which is considered to be 12 ounces of beer, five ounces of wine, or one shot of liquor although the actual price per drinks now in 2018, is much higher at most bars.

Early 1980's my local watering hole charged 0.25 for domestic, 0.35 for Molson's, and 0.60 for a bottle.

Dirt floors, $0.25 p/beer.

Bartender would pour you a shot, say "well?" .
You would down it and said bartender would refill your shot. all for $0.50

My youth!

If I recall correctly I think it was 35 cents a glass, $1.50 for a pitcher and 60 cents a bottle in the beer joints?
And that was in the 70's. There was one place that had 10 cent beer and 25 cent mix drinks on Tuesdays down town.

I never bought beer by the glass. We always got $3 pitchers... and $1 pitchers on Wednesdays. That was during my NAU days... 72-75.

Back
Top Bottom