A somewhat rare bird: The Sony STC-7000 "integrated tuner".

No.But the tuner works well.The thing that bothers me in the tuner is that I can hear some white noise.Is there a way to get rid of it.If I switch on another input I can sligtly hear the radio(very very low),but the white noise goes away.

Sony STC-7000 integrated tuner not working

This an old thread, but I just wondering if someone guide me to figure out the issue with the integrated tuner. Any source connected to the preamp works fine, but when I switch the selector to AM or FM, meters move, but no sound.

The STC is supposed to have the ST-5130, as others have noted.

I picked a ST-5130 and had it recapped and realigned so it should have been up to specification. Of all my Sony components, this was my keenest disappointment. As noted, the FM reception is VERY warm, far too much so for my taste - and I like some warmth in my sound.

According to The Vintage Knob (http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-STC-7000.html) it uses a TAC-14N walnut cabinet which, if memory serves, is a very rare bird. The STC is smaller than the follow-on STR-70X5 series receivers yet larger than the ST-5130 tuner. TVK once had a table of Sony components and their walnut cases and side burns but I can't seem to find it.

Re joosoof's inquiry:

If the STC-7000 literally uses the same circuit boards for its tuner signal path as the ST-5130 tuner, then there is a section of circuitry on the multiplex board that acts as an audio preamp stage for both AM and FM. That is where I would look for the problem.

In the ST-5130, the power supply for this preamp section is switched. if the STC-7000 also switches the preamp power (which makes more sense than it does for the ST-5130, actually), then it could be a switch problem.

I think someone with signal tracing skills will need to look at your unit to make a diagnosis, but this is where I would start looking.

Regards,

chazix

I was never a fan of integrated preamp/tuner units but the Carver CT-24 I use in the garage has been pretty damn good after I fixed the RCA sleeves from coming off (damn Monstercable grippers!!!). Excellent phono stage and the tuner works great also. Going through the frequencies can be a little slow but it locks on to just about any signal. I rarely listen to the radio but it's nice to have the option. I bet this Sony is pretty cool when up to snuff

I was never a fan of integrated preamp/tuner units but the Carver CT-24 I use in the garage has been pretty damn good after I fixed the RCA sleeves from coming off (damn Monstercable grippers!!!). Excellent phono stage and the tuner works great also. Going through the frequencies can be a little slow but it locks on to just about any signal. I rarely listen to the radio but it's nice to have the option. I bet this Sony is pretty cool when up to snuff

I love my Nakamichi 630 tuner / preamp from their Sustem One:

20131213_123351_zps2b018e0b.jpg

Another company that used the Pre-receiver concept was Soundcraftsmen. Depending on how you calculate success, the company was sold and soon went under just after these were introduced but they're great units, especially the PRO-PT FIVE-R Pre-ceiver which even offered a remote control.

$_57.JPG

Regarding the Soundcraftsmen Pro-Pt Five-R PreCiever...i just bought one that came non functional. I pulled the top off and saw a pair of wires running from the board, through the front plate. A quick pull on the llastic vume control showed that the wires had twisted around the shaft many times.. apparely the connect to a sensor in the knob but they go through steel plate without the venefot of anything to smooth the ride. What an awful design.

Oh man I didn't realize this was John's old thread.I wonder how he's doin?

Last edited:
Very sharp! Sony made some nice looking gear. Interesting combination.

This is a nice tuner/preamplifier from Sony's best era. A legitimate competitor to McIntosh (who manufactured more tuner/preamplifiers than any other company). And very excellent sounding and well built. Worth love and care.

I've owned my STC-7000 for about 20 years. This is an excellent piece of equipment.

The FM section is based on the ST-5130 and the preamp section is derived from the TA-1130.

The STC -7000 tuner has a MOS-FET driven 5-gang capacitor with 8 filters and includes oscilloscope outputs.

In the early 70, this unit was sold in direct competition to the early solid state McIntosh preamps (C26/C28). At my local dealer, (Home Entertainment in Houston) many enthusiasts including myself felt that the STC-7000 had much better low level detail reproduction and a warmer sound to boot. The build quality is excellent as is Sony's attention to detail.

As tuner-preamps were not common, this piece is pretty rare. I'm unsure of the price they command these days, but mine has aged well and just sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom