Kenwood Supreme (500/600/650/700) informal user's group?

Brought the 600 out to play.

IMG_20180330_180602.jpg

The model 600 has an open vented top which is a serious dust collector, especially here in the southwest. So searched for and ordered a dust cover. No affiliation with this outfit, but looks better then a pillow case!DSC00870.jpg DSC00871.jpg

BTW, I'm using a Denon DL-103R cart on my table right now and it's a little soft for my taste. I tried playing it in both the Phono 1 and 2 inputs and flipped the impedance swit h to both settings but it's still a bit weak. I have to turn the attenuator on for it to play loud. Is it able to play MC carts by itself or am I just doing something wrong?

BTW, I'm using a Denon DL-103R cart on my table right now and it's a little soft for my taste. I tried playing it in both the Phono 1 and 2 inputs and flipped the impedance swit h to both settings but it's still a bit weak. I have to turn the attenuator on for it to play loud. Is it able to play MC carts by itself or am I just doing something wrong?
Try adding a little bit of weight at the headshell. Rebalance the rear counterweight to reset your current tracking force. The Denon needs a heavy arm. Hence the weight at the headshell.

Try adding a little bit of weight at the headshell. Rebalance the rear counterweight to reset your current tracking force. The Denon needs a heavy arm. Hence the weight at the headshell.

It was playing well enough through my Luxman. Will the heavier headshell make it louder?

I misunderstood the problem.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. The Denon played well enough on the Lux, like regular MM cart levels, but with the 500, I have to almost turn the dial up to 3 o'clock to play something that would've needed to only be at 9 o'clock on my Lux.

I do have a Sony PS-X65 with a heavier headshell and arm. Would that work better?

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. The Denon played well enough on the Lux, like regular MM cart levels, but with the 500, I have to almost turn the dial up to 3 o'clock to play something that would've needed to only be at 9 o'clock on my Lux.

I do have a Sony PS-X65 with a heavier headshell and arm. Would that work better?
For now stay with the Denon turntable. Try using a step up transformer with the 103R feeding the 500.

I have to turn the attenuator on for it to play loud. Is it able to play MC carts by itself or am I just doing something wrong?

You're doing something wrong. I made the same mistake. I'll explain.

Attenuation by definition is supposed to be a reduction in signal, not a boost. The top switch position on the 500/600 is 0db, in other words, no attenuation and the "normal" position. The other two positions (middle and bottom) are attenuated. -15db, and -30db respectively.

Also before someone tries to correct me, I'm aware that other model Kenwoods behave differently. The KA-8100 and 9100 for example play at "normal" 0db with the switch at the middle position, but you'll notice their switches are labeled as gain switches, not attenuation. The 500/600 got it right when they labeled it the way they did, though you could argue that the 0db position should have been reserved for the middle spot to keep a centered appearance. In any case, this is likely what's responsible for the reduction in output the OP is concerned over.

My two cents on the matter. Good day.

Last edited:
You're doing something wrong. I made the same mistake. I'll explain.

Attenuation by definition is supposed to be a reduction in signal, not a boost. The top switch position on the 500/600 is 0db, in other words, no attenuation and the "normal" position. The other two positions (middle and bottom) are attenuated. -15db, and -30db respectively.

Also before someone tries to correct me, I'm aware that other model Kenwoods behave differently. The KA-8100 and 9100 for example play at "normal" 0db with the switch at the middle position, but you'll notice their switches are labeled as gain switches, not attenuation. The 500/600 got it right when they labeled it the way they did, though you could argue that the 0db position should have been reserved for the middle spot to keep a centered appearance. In any case, this is likely what's responsible for the reduction in output the OP is concerned over.

My two cents on the matter. Good day.
Yes, this is true, don't play music on the Supremes with that attenuation switch on anything but 0db (up). It would be dangerous to the speakers and possibly your hearing and heart if you had an additional 15 or 30db added at just a flip of a switch!! Only used for answering the door or phone IMHO!

Yes, this is true, don't play music on the Supremes with that attenuation switch on anything but 0db (up). It would be dangerous to the speakers and possibly your hearing and heart if you had an additional 15 or 30db added at just a flip of a switch!! Only used for answering the door or phone IMHO!

I do have it on 0. Thing is, I have to crank it up to almost 3 o'clock when I'm using my table with the DL-103R. ai'm fine with it but I don't want to forget to dial the volume down before I switch to another input.

I do have it on 0. Thing is, I have to crank it up to almost 3 o'clock when I'm using my table with the DL-103R. ai'm fine with it but I don't want to forget to dial the volume down before I switch to another input.

OK, there is some confusion here, pardon me if I am misinterpriting here. In your first post you mentioned that you need to turn on the attenuator for it to play loud. Could it be that you are thinking the switch all the way up is "on" That should be the 0db setting which is where I would have it. In a sense, all the way up is off, not on!

If this is not the case, there is something indeed wrong with the amp. Could it be that whoever worked on this accidentally wired up the switch wrong, or perhaps installed it upside down?
This is the position your switch should be in. If it is louder all the way to the bottom I would say that switch is installed upside down (or wired incorrectly, or something else is defective).
Capture.JPG

If you're using the 0db setting and have to turn it up that much I'd attribute that to your MC cart instead. The 500 isn't handling that low of a signal well. If your TT is capable of taking a MM cart, for which the 500 phono amp was designed, that should make a dramatic difference. If you're set on keeping the MC cart, then a SUT would indeed make sense.

OK, there is some confusion here, pardon me if I am misinterpriting here. In your first post you mentioned that you need to turn on the attenuator for it to play loud. Could it be that you are thinking the switch all the way up is "on" That should be the 0db setting which is where I would have it. In a sense, all the way up is off, not on!

If this is not the case, there is something indeed wrong with the amp. Could it be that whoever worked on this accidentally wired up the switch wrong, or perhaps installed it upside down?
This is the position your switch should be in. If it is louder all the way to the bottom I would say that switch is installed upside down (or wired incorrectly, or something else is defective).
View attachment 1178780

No, I had it at the "0" position when using the table. Just used to the middle position being the normal position, I guess. Sorry for the confusion.
All the line level inputs - Aux 1, Aux 2 and Tuner play loud: 9 o'clock would be sufficient to rock the house, but with the Phono inputs I have to crank it up to 2 o'clock to achieve the same loudness on the same attenuator setting (0).
The amp is functioning perfectly, sound is beautiful. I am using an MC cart and I was under the impression that the amp is MC capable (so far no one has confirmed or dispelled it yet) I am going to hook up my other table with an MM cart on it to see how it performs with one.

This is by the way, but should anyone have an issue with one channel in their phono section not playing I have now come across my second repair (a 650) with the p-Channel jfet bad ( i.e. q11-2n5464/65). I also came across the same problem with a previous 500 I repaired. These p-channel Jfet are virtually impossible to find (60V even more so)and unfortunately had to try a NTE326 which worked but is a bit noisy and only 40V. I will be trying some 2sj103s which are the only 50V ( gate source V is about 45) I could find unless someone has a better suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom