oh no polydome going

They look pretty yellow! Are they cracked yet? If not you might be able to rescue them with some 303 UV protectant...

Fabric domes and polys... Completely different beasts.

If you're looking to replace with something modern wait for the Infinity guys to chime in. It's outside the range of my experience.

That said, yes, SimplySpeakers is legit.

yeah I am aware of that fact.that is supposed to be about.the only replacement available.i realize it isn't real bad yet.i really don't perceive a difference in sound.i do want to get something before it gets any worse.

Attachments

• DSCF1011.JPG
    DSCF1011.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 52
Midwest Speaker repair is offering an aftermarket replacement dome. It's fairly new, so not much feedback yet. I'd probably use Bill LeGall at Millersound, but I just wanted you to know about all options.

cool thanks.I know madisound has a replacement to.the scanspeak at madisound.it looks identicle to the one at simply speakers.

Just had mine repaired by MIllerSound, they did a great job. $183 to repair both and that covers the return shipping.

Booy I hate the sound of that .. "Oh Noo My Polydome !!! " I haven't tried and don't need to yet (gulp) any replacements but based on my readings I would not consider any option other than Millersound . 183 is a bargain to keep the kappas going .

The Madisound driver is 6Ω compared with 4Ω for the original, so that may affect the crossover frequency. Some people on AK who've tried it say it's not an ideal replacement.

so no go on the Madisound driver good to know.well new development.while listening earlier I heard a clear distortion.it was in a voice from a youtube video.checked my speaker another chunk come off.so they are temporarily retired.

There are also decent original ones on eBay sometimes I bought several sets as backups but wouldn’t hesitate to use Miller sound.

The NEW midranges are going to be much better than the dust cap contraption Miller Sound uses to replace the old dome. I can't see going that route.

I purchased the drivers you linked, for my original pair of Kappa 8's. They are louder than the original and even with the dial in the back if you have one it will not help, the one on the back of the crossover. also they will not fit on your original polydome holes without modification.

The screw pattern is not the same, its tighter than the original, which means your four screws are going in at an angle to find the original.

And your original domes the + / - are across from eachother, the new one thay are on the same side, that means your going to have to cut one side or the other on the cabinet to get both wires to fit on the same side, or bend and possibly break the new driver forcing them into the cabinet.

It's not a bad thing, your ear gets used to it i guess In my humble opinion the simply speaker unit was poorly designed, but a quick fix.

Somewhere in this forum I do believe I posted pictures of how tough it was to use these in my Kappa 8 speakers.

Back
Top Bottom