Nikko Alpha III

highend64

I have a Nikko Alpha III amp I got along with a Beta II pre. My concern is this amp is unusually warm at idle. Is this normal or the bias might be set too high? BTW, It sounds great.

I don't know about the amp but did a quick search and found this quote in a review,

"As a side note, if you notice your amp is running hot in one or both channels it is likely do to the ideal current which can drift over time and is easily adjusted."

Mosfet amps (Hafler, hitachi, B&K and others, as well as the Alpha III) all run warm, as they have lower distortion at higher idle currents.)

Mosfet amps (Hafler, hitachi, B&K and others, as well as the Alpha III) all run warm, as they have lower distortion at higher idle currents.)
I learn something every day, thanks...

I would hope with any new purchase that a diyer/AKer would do a basic health check including,
- download the service manual
- open unit/visual inspection, check for that 20A main fuse the previous owner put in
- check/set dc off set and bias and any other adjustments as per the sm excluding tuner (unless you have the skills & equipment)

The pre-amp. Plug in some RCA cords and measure the DC between center pin and outside barrel at each of the other ends. Put input selector on any input except phono.

Only reason I suggested it was from buying a power amp that was also getting hot on one side but no fault found. Had a hunch to check for DC coming out of the pre-amp and there was 6V on one side.

The pre-amp. Plug in some RCA cords and measure the DC between center pin and outside barrel at each of the other ends. Put input selector on any input except phono.

Only reason I suggested it was from buying a power amp that was also getting hot on one side but no fault found. Had a hunch to check for DC coming out of the pre-amp and there was 6V on one side.
Mine reads 0 for both left and right.

I dont have a schematic for my Nikko but was wondering is the coupled with capacitor at the speaker output stage? I read that some amps have them.

Back
Top Bottom