A big change to my system today...

cube-tube

Well... Something happened today, and it sounds a LOT better than I was expecting! This is only a temp setup to break in the Audio Nirvana Super 12 Ferrite drivers.

The AN's are running fullrange, the Eminence Acoustinator N2012 woofers are boosted 11 dB and rolling off after 165 Hz. And no, the JL's are NOT being used.

In the end, there will be a total of four N2012's per side in two H-frames each, and a separate baffle just for the AN drivers on top of the H-frames.

p2874611947-5.jpg

p2874611948-5.jpg

p2874611950-5.jpg

p2874611951-5.jpg

p2874612019-5.jpg

p2874612022-5.jpg

How Does It Sound?

To my surprise, the AN 12's have a great amount of treble extension, and the N2012 drivers have plenty of tight detailed bass with very usable, solid output down to 35 Hz. After that, they fall off rapidly, as to be expected. I'm quite shocked they they extend to 35 Hz on these somewhat small baffles. I can't wait to have four of them per side in proper H-frames! I'm 110% positive with a little EQ, they will reach all the way down to 20 Hz with ease.

Very nice! How do you like the dbx Venu360? Pretty easy to setup?

If you're used to this kind of "pro" gear, it's pretty straight forward to work with. I think what makes it even easier to use (including for the novice) is that you have 99% full control of it via your computer as well with the dbx software. As for sound, it seems to be totally transparent.

Just got done listening to Larry Carlton - Sunrise from the Fire Wire album. I've heard this number a bunch of times on various speakers. These are the ONLY speakers that kept his guitar in one tight spot in the sound stage. With every other speaker I've used, the guitar tends to wonder around the stage. Not with the AN's. They keep the guitar locked in one spot the entire time.

Pretty cool!

That's an awesome temp setup with those drivers, I really want to hear an open baffle setup. :rockon:

Thanks!

You should go ahead and build yourself a set. They're really easy to build and good, proven drivers can be had for cheap. You could do something similar and get a good taste on the sound of "big" OB sound, such as a pair of Eminence Beta-12LTA 12" Full-Range/PA Drivers for the fullrange drivers and a pair of Goldwood GW-1238/PA 12" PA / Musical Instrument Speakers for bass drivers. That's less than $250 in drivers.

Finally able to sit and relax for once in over a month, and just listen to some music. And it's really the first to sit and listen to these new OB speakers. They have been breaking in almost non-stop since Wednesday evening, but only at moderate to whisper volumes. Today however, I have been ripping them some, and these Audio Nirvana drivers have been smoothing out a little in the upper midrange and opening up. They have a total of about 60 hours on them so far which means about another 240 hours to go.

As the AN drivers have been "loosening" up a bit, I have had to tweak the crossover settings on the bass drivers a little. They are now boosted to +13 dB and crossed over at 200 Hz @ 36 dB.

Crystal clear, extremely dynamic (something I have missed for years now), incredibly crisp and fast, pin-point imaging, vocals and certain instruments locked down dead center where they should be, with no drift between the speakers, a large, wide and deep sound stage. And the bass...

This isn't even close to what I'm eventually going to have running, and I'm already amazed at the bass performance. The AN drives aren't contributing much below 150 Hz or so on these baffles, but they sure as heck make up for it in everything else they're doing. But the amazing about the bass is that it's just a single Eminence Acoustinator N2012 driver mounted at the bottom of the baffle, which in itself is a somewhat small baffle. These drivers are digging deep into the 30's with ease. The bass is effortless, stress free, very tight, agile, dynamic, detailed and tactile! I can't believe that in the end, there's going to be a total of FOUR of these bass drivers per channel! One of my brothers thought I had turned the JL subs back on... That is until he noticed later that the subs aren't even in the room anymore, much less connected to the system and running!

I must admit, this has to be one of the easiest and best loudspeaker projects I have done yet. And it's only going to get better from here!

p2878496867-5.jpg

Very intriguing. I've been looking into OB with a set of Tang Band W1808's, but haven't yet had a chance to hear either OB, or the TB's. I just thought it would be an interesting project. You could honestly just stain and seal those baffles and call it good!

Back
Top Bottom