What The Heart Wants

Now I am less sure than ever who actually produced the 84. It has both NEC and Sanyo parts in it.....now I know that there is and was part sharing in manufacturing but I am willing to take any suggestions at this point.

I had a definitive answer for that question earlier this week on both receivers. Didn't write it down, thought I could remember. I was wrong.

I had a definitive answer for that question earlier this week on both receivers. Didn't write it down, thought I could remember. I was wrong.

I know for sure that Foster/Fostex and Hitachi made a lot of the units produced in Japan and I thought the ones with the Glide Path volume controls were Hitachi sourced. Actually I far prefer the single volume knob but the Glide Path does look nice. I have really no idea who made the non Japanese produced items.

A RadioShack brochure titled "The Realistic Story" says 1954-1956 units were Harmon Kardon, with the name Realist on them. Not much help, but from the horses mouth. Other Shack printed material says,
STA-65 series Foster electric.
STA-120B and STA-180 Hitachi.

Last edited:
If you'll pardon a diversion for a moment... Why is it that in lists of equipment manufacturers like this -- and they come up every so often -- no one ever mentions Harman/Kardon by name?.
Never owned a receiver past an Electrophonic piece of junk as a kid, but sold the 430 and 730 at a hifi shop in college. I liked the fact they paid particular attention to the power supplies. While not for the blue dial crowd, they sounded pretty decent.

Enjoyed a Citation 11 preamp from '74-'76.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom