Piezo-Azden-Acutex Thread

There's an M315III STR on eBay now, described as New Other. These don't come up very often.

John

s-l1600.jpg

Cool! If you decide to go for the cartridge, don't miss the golden opportunity to pick up that "very rare" Acutex headshell (used), for only $115 shipped. >chortle< >snort<

Last edited:
I have it on my watch list, thanks.

Any thoughts on getting my stereo separation where it should be with my existing carts? I'm a bit perplexed at this point. I'd say it was something in my setup, but I was getting 20dB + of separation out of my standard MM carts.

If you've tried different bodies and different styli and gotten essentially identical results at any reasonable VTF, but you've checked your wiring and it's all okay, then I'm stumped, or at least I'd want to examine your setup in person. Any AKers near to you?

VTA isn't adjustable on my current table unfortunately. I tried VTF between 1.8g and 1.5g with nearly identical results.

What's strangest to me is that I haven't had any trouble with my standard MM carts. Either this cart is exposing something wonky with my setup (me being bad at alignment?) That the others aren't, I have the world's worst luck with these carts/styli, or there's something about these generic styli that make them perform crappily when subjected to objective measurement.

The only other thing I can think of is that my audio interface isn't channel balanced right. I'll get a reference white/pink noise signal to calibrate the two channels to match one another.

Are we talking about the Akai PC-100? What stylus are you using?

As for VTA, there's always shims or thinner mats.

John

Are we talking about the Akai PC-100? What stylus are you using?

As for VTA, there's always shims or thinner mats.

John

Yeah it's the Akai. I picked up a stylus from Gary at TVOM and a Tonar branded one from PickupNaalden.

I have one more Akai I picked up as well. I can mount it on a different headshell to eliminate any wiring issues as a variable.

I do have some aluminum VTA shims here.

Nate, Also try a higher tracking force for about 10-20 hours. The suspensions might be stiff or stiffer on these replacements .

Id start with 2.25 and then after a about 5 hours check again. Then as the suspension loosens up move down about .10 and retest again.

These are very finicky to set, Tri-Pole that is. VTA, VTF and Azimuth are all more
at play with Tri Pole's .

Athanasios

Nate, Also try a higher tracking force for about 10-20 hours. The suspensions might be stiff or stiffer on these replacements .

Id start with 2.25 and then after a about 5 hours check again. Then as the suspension loosens up move down about .10 and retest again.

These are very finicky to set, Tri-Pole that is. VTA, VTF and Azimuth are all more
at play with Tri Pole's .

Athanasios

All quite true. Most of us end up around 1.8g with these.

In addition, there are two distinctly different styli out there. One of them is manufactured correctly for a tri-pole with a permalloy sleeve at the base of the cantilever. This is flanked by a pair of flat metal tabs that look like mouse ears. The other resembles an Audio-Technica V-magnet stylus with a rubber suspension grommet at the base of the cantilever and what appear to be two rod magnets flanking it. It's also missing the large metal shield inside the grip. The absence of the sleeve on the latter type makes the cartridge behave like a conventional 2-pole cartridge without the cross-talk eliminating characteristics of the tri-pole.

Gary sells both types. The Audio-Technica type is sold as a 4707-DE and the correct type is listed as a 707-DE.

John

BAD
4707deg.jpg

GOOD
81FhsJsklkL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Mine are both of the 'good'' variety. I have a yellow and a black one and I can't remember which came from Gary at this point. o_O

My Gary 707-DE is yellow and my PUN (pickupnaalden) is black, if that helps.

Just a heads up for all you tri-pole fans. There's a NOS M312III STR (LPM type) stylus on eBay right now. The price is pretty outrageous but NOS styli for these never show up.

John

There's an LPM style (used) cart for sale with no reserve as well.

Yes, but the trouble with that one is that it's used. If it turns out that the stylus is worn out, There's no way to replace it without a lot of waiting and a lot of spending. It would have to go really cheap to be worth while.

John

Yes, but the trouble with that one is that it's used. If it turns out that the stylus is worn out, There's no way to replace it without a lot of waiting and a lot of spending. It would have to go really cheap to be worth while.

John

I just meant if someone decides to buy the stylus you mentioned, they might need a cart for it. :)

Just a heads up for all you tri-pole fans. There's a NOS M312III STR (LPM type) stylus on eBay right now. The price is pretty outrageous but NOS styli for these never show up.

John

Yes I have watched that it started 30 dollars higher. I look for NOS brick style as to me they are a better cart than the LPM's . My re-tipped 707-DE is sounding fantastic as of late.

The LPM's for me are harder to "tune" than the older style carts.

Nashou

LPM bodies can be had for $20 or $30. Sometimes less. One sold for $15 in March.

John

Yes I have watched that it started 30 dollars higher. I look for NOS brick style as to me they are a better cart than the LPM's . My re-tipped 707-DE is sounding fantastic as of late.

The LPM's for me are harder to "tune" than the older style carts.

Nashou

I'll get back to playing with my bricks when I have my table resetup. I don't have an arm with VTA/Azimuth adjustments on my other tables so they're seemingly suboptimal fits for the fussy tripole carts.

Back
Top Bottom