A big change to my system today...

Now that I've looked a bit at those AN speakers, I'm really getting an itch to hear a pair. How are you crossing these over? I'm guessing it's all DSP?

Now that I've looked a bit at those AN speakers, I'm really getting an itch to hear a pair. How are you crossing these over? I'm guessing it's all DSP?

I'm running the AN Super 12's fullrange. No crossover at all. The bass drivers below them are being crossed over at 200 Hz @ 24 dB per octave. I also have the gain on the bass drivers boosted by +13 dB so that they blend well and keep up with the AN's. It's an amazing combination to say the least.

The AN Super 12's are breaking in beautifully. They've definitely smoothed out and have lost most of that "bite" in the upper midrange already. And the treble also seems to have extended a bit further, providing a lovely crispness and air to the overall sound. At this rate, I see no reason whatsoever for a dedicated tweeter.

My original plans for this OB project have also changed. Since I'm dealing with a small room, having two H-frames per channel housing two 12" drivers each will simply eat up way too much room. It would be like having a 30" x 30" x 20" box on either side of the room. That's just way too much space taken up in this room. So... Instead, I am going to go with a style very similar to the PAP design (Pure Audio Project). I'll have two bass drivers on the bottom, the AN fullrange in the middle, and two more bass drivers on the top. It's a much more efficient, cleaner, elegant design by far, and takes up a LOT less room.

184a05026647646fed669b48dfc55ba5.jpg

Sorry, I meant how are you crossing over the bass drivers? Are they being run from a separate amp? Or are you using some form of DSP to keep them relatively low? It wouldn't be a concern in my current setup as I have 3 different subs in the room with their own crossovers. I'd probably just run some OB with a pair of the Neodymium Super 8"s.

Sorry, I meant how are you crossing over the bass drivers? Are they being run from a separate amp? Or are you using some form of DSP to keep them relatively low? It wouldn't be a concern in my current setup as I have 3 different subs in the room with their own crossovers. I'd probably just run some OB with a pair of the Neodymium Super 8"s.

Yes, I'm using the dbx to cross over the bass drivers. I'm using two Carver M-500t amps to power the speakers, vertically bi-amped, meaning one channel of each amp is powering a woofer and the other channel of each amp is powering the fullrange driver. The left amp powers the left speaker, the right amp powers the right speaker.

Honestly, IMHO, it is pointless to go OB if you're going to use traditional subwoofer for the bottom end. The bass that a large OB system produces is the best part about open baffles. With OB bass, you get all of the dynamics, detail, naturalness, realistic bass possible. No enclosure to color the sound, no "air spring" to slow down or attempt to control the woofer's movement. Other than the actual performance, open baffle is the next best thing to being there!

Back
Top Bottom