Sony or Technics CD players.. which are better

I must give my hearty recommendation for Sony ES players. I have owned well over a hundred disc players and the ES' have given me the best service by far. High end Denon are worth a look, too.

I did a comparison test with the technics SL-P500 vs. SL-PG100. No difference in sound really but, SL-PG100 is able to play some scratched cds without ticking in background! It had newer 4D/IC technology. Curious whether it would stack up against an Onkyo C-7030, that are now pretty cheap, but good I hear? Other than that, all of the Technics CD players sound really fantastic, and can be had for close to nothing.

I've liked the C-7030 since I first heard it. I modded a few with internal tube buffers. Those sound really great.

The Onkyo C-7030 is my #1 recommendation for under $300 CDP's. Above that I recommend an OPPO UDP.

They both have their purpose, i find not all CD's sound the same in one unit reason i have five hooked up.
MASH Technics systems are robust players and sound good and lots of people think Technics it must be crap..
You can get them cheap for that reason but them older Sony ES players are legendary.
I find myself drawn to good DVD units for audio.

[QUOTE="
I have a Sony CDP 302 that I have been very happy with.I recently got a good deal on a Technics SL PS 700 Mash. Got it mostly because of reviews here on AK. After 3 days of comparing the two I found I diffenatly prefer how the technics sounds.It's not that blows away the Sony in any way it is just a little better in alot of ways. The sound stage is a little broader,a little crisper ,cleaner, warmer and every thing is a bit more defined with deeper bass. Over all I'm very impressed with this deck Glad I got it
.[/QUOTE]

Last week it was my first experience with a technics cd player and I feel exactly the same as you. I am very impressed after listening to a sony cd-650 and a sony c9esd for a while.
soundstage is wider, instuments are more defined in my system, bass is deeper. my sony's seem to sound a little thinner now! that's the deal. although they still sound great.

Best CD player, anything with a Philips CDM-0, CDM-1, CD-Pro, or CD-Pro2 mechanism inside. Alternatively anything with a CEC transport or Esoteric transport.

Based on the feedback in this post I was poking around eBay looking at older Technics CD players. None of them had anything other than RCA outs. I’m guessing this means that you can’t use them with a separate DAC? But it sounds like most of you are happy with the built in DACs?

Based on the feedback in this post I was poking around eBay looking at older Technics CD players. None of them had anything other than RCA outs. I’m guessing this means that you can’t use them with a separate DAC? But it sounds like most of you are happy with the built in DACs?
Many DACs have RCA connectors, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I briefly research this issue before buying a 1991 Technics SL-PG100 CD player on a garage sale for $15. Seems that digital outputs did not go mainstream until at least mid-1990s, so it seems that most of these machines have analog outputs.

Digital electric cable is just a single coaxial one, not a pair. My DVD player has one, I use it with my receiver that has digital coax as well as optical input. But since 1-bit DACs took over, built-in DACs became quite nice, even cheap ones. I will be miles better than tape or vinyl anyway :)

Sony had outstanding mechanics quality back then, even nowdays they are much better than modern optical pickup and mechanics

Accuphase, Teac/Esoteric, Wadia, Denon, Sansui and many others used Sony pickup and mechanics, that prove something

Back
Top Bottom