Some Altec speakers on CL in Tampa Fl.

Those are not 816 cabinets, they're 815's. Mine made a nice bonfire.

Note that 815's were designed for permanent installs in large venues. This results in two very big caveats for home/hifi use.

a) you cannot get them thru many standard doorways as their smallest dimension is a hair over 34 inches.

b) below 90-100hz they are done, roll off like a rock as they have no reflex volume or ports. Houses of worship and a few large outdoor vocal PA systems is where the majority of these were installed.

Asking price in the ad is beyond double what it should be. The cabinets are worth nothing, and the horns and drivers would be worth the 700 neighborhood if they were clean and in decent shape. I'd be out of the bidding past 350. Until you can see inside the drivers to determine the poles are centered and not rusty, that's a borderline junk parts lot.

If they were close, i'd take the pair of Segovia's at 200 in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Yea, the drivers are beat up, scratched up....too.

But, really like the multi-cell horns!

Are these the Segovias?

Asking price is crazy.

I don't get the second cabinet.....is that a console for equipment?

00p0p_9tpOKYQ8QOi_1200x900.jpg 00K0K_g2FOW76JTJb_1200x900.jpg

Thanks BowTie...I didn't even see those.

Those seem interesting. And an affordable price.

I check the specs and they are only 87 db sensitivity. Seems a departure for Altec. But their Woofers are praised. Only Altec speaker that uses em. Suppose to have superb bass.

Those Flamenco's now have me curious. Perhaps there is some gear in the Console portion?

Looks like the Segovia's were sold on Ebay....almost a month ago....same pic, same location as the CL listing.

Sold for $275 local pickup.

Sorry you missed those. :(

Yes, they are a departure somewhat from typical Altecs.

I look at them as being engineered around the 405 wide range speaker, which on it's own is a very good sounding speaker.

https://greatplainsaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/405A_ceilingspkr_spec_sheet.pdf

In the case of the Segovia, the 405 is used as a "midrange" element with an in house designed woofer and Philips tweeter used to smoothly extend their BW to the highest and lowest octaves.

Also, another departure from traditional Altec systems, they present a nominal 4 ohm load. In 1975 Altec would announce that all of their high fidelity products were standardized to 8 ohms.

There are a few owners at AK, not sure how active any of them are. But, they can verify that they are a very good sounding speaker, very well balanced.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom