always wondered how many military service men and women here.

USN, ‘91-94. Airborne cryptographic equipment repair, which meant I was locked in a vault all day. Boring but my security clearance kept me in there and out of every working party and most watchstanding. P-3B, KC-130, and UH1-N were stationed there but I did get to go to school at NAS Cecil Field w F/A-18s and NAS Miramar at the Top Gun Fighter school. Being around the planes never got old.

my security clearance kept me in there and out of every working party and most watchstanding.

I was a PO3 in the USS Intrepid's Special Weapons (nukes) division. My TS clearance got me a job with a defense contractor after I got out. We would hang out in the weapons magazine while we were on the line in 'Nam. It was cooled with chilled water circulating through the walls. The rest of the ship would be sweltering and we were cool, as long as we were down there with the weapons.

Dave

Said they were usually alongside a carrier but I can’t remember which ones he mentioned.

Maybe he was guarding the Intrepid. I would often look out at our carrier group that surrounded us and give thanks for all the firepower that protected us. We even had a sub defending us (and the group) out there somewhere.

Dave

Wanna talk about hot? How about basic training in Amarillo, TX from July to October. Not to mention half dollar sized hailstones! Then to Biloxi, MS for Tech school. Then, Eglin AFB in Ft Walton Beach Fla. If they kept me there I'd have stayed in. But no, Clark AFB, Phillipines. ...out after four.
Almost 16 years total at Eglin. Same avionics shop,same avionics building.

Maybe he was guarding the Intrepid. I would often look out at our carrier group that surrounded us and give thanks for all the firepower that protected us. We even had a sub defending us (and the group) out there somewhere.

Dave
my uncle told me the same thing, the intrepid, never sailed solo. always had other vessels. ya never know Dave, you might have known him.

Last edited:
my birth father served on the nimitz cv class, being on deck as a flagsman- while planes landing an taking off. from "70"-"76"

my uncle served on the intrepid, during the same time as well, but not sure what his job was though.
personally i could'nt serve on a ship nono! i like the land combat instead.

so while in the service, what weapon did you like? personal fav- was the m4 carbine with the optic scope. we were one of the first units to have them issued to us, while in bct. so much better then the m-16 i got in the begining of bct.
the m4 carbine never jammed/or misfired. infantry had the m16 though. (been a long day for me)
and a pounding migraine.
i never liked the issued sidearm though, just to clunky/kinda to big in my hands.

Last edited:
carriers did'nt/or dont have deck mounted weapons?

Dave

24 years ago today I took off my uniform for the last time. Funny how I can remember the mixed feelings so well: relief, trepidation, doubt, confidence....

I still use and reference the skills learned every day at work.

My time with the USAF was a very good experience, and I learned a lot. Not just job skills, but I also learned a lot about life.

But I was very glad to take off the uniform, and have never looked back :)

Back
Top Bottom