I've gone all Gold Lion!

PAGS

I've been using Genalex Gold Lion KT77 power tubes in lieu of EL34s in my Line Magnetic 211IA since I got it.

I recently noticed a slight hum coming from the speakers when no music was playing. Have to put ear right in front of the speaker to hear it, and it's not noticable when music is playing. (For all I know it's always been there.) Thinking it might be one of the preamp tubes, I replaced the 12au7 and 12ax7 tubes wih Gold Lions. Well...the hum is still there, but the new tubes sound great, even without burn-in. NOS be damned.

Slight hum is ok. Some amps like to some others don"t.Thats been my experience with tube amps anyways. Others might say different. Looks like a nice integrated amp:beerchug: Try different cables from your source to the intergrated, also cable management also goes a long way too on some pesky hums.

I have the Gold Lion KT77 tubes in my Michaelson & Austin tva 10 and really do like them. I have thought about the smaller tubes but boy they sure are pricey! I would need four 12AX7's and two 12AT7's and then the Canadian US exchange plus shipping, that will be an easy $300 or more bill. Do they really sound that good?

Gregb

I have the Gold Lion KT77 tubes in my Michaelson & Austin tva 10 and really do like them. I have thought about the smaller tubes but boy they sure are pricey! I would need four 12AX7's and two 12AT7's and then the Canadian US exchange plus shipping, that will be an easy $300 or more bill. Do they really sound that good?

Gregb
Unfortunately (for your wallet), they preamp tubes are really good...and after only a few hours of use. Lower, more defined, "punchier" bass, while maintaining a lush mid-range. I'm also noticing more separation. Sorry if I'm whetting your appetite. Of course, could be that my old tubes were just crappy.

You probably already know this but the Tube Store is in Hamilton, so no international shipping.

A lot depends on who made the old tubes. If it shipped with crappy tubes than it's not hard to make a nice improvement. I favor vintage tubes myself.

BillWojo

The four 12AX7 tubes are Telefunken smooth plates and the two 12AT7 tubes are NOS Motorola communication tubes and as I said the Gold Lion KT77 outputs. It does sound really good the way I have it tubed but like everyone here I am always looking for something new.

Gregb

I've liked all of the re-issue Gold Lion tubes I've tried: KT77, EL84, and 12AU7. I would not pay the difference between a "true" NOS Gold Lion KT77 and the new re-issue KT77.

I'm also curious. I found a site that will sell me 5x (a duo and a trio, matched) for under $120. These are NOT the gold tip Lions. They are plain tipped. According to the site they sound exactly the same for half the price. I'm seriously considering biting the bullet and adding 2x 12AU7's to my order as well, but I often hear there is very little difference in the sound when rolling those. Are KT77's just plain old swappable with EL34's on any amp? Or is it just that particular model of Line Magnetic? And, while I'm asking, is there really much of a difference when rolling the power tubes? I've also heard said that it's REALLY hard to hear it.

I got a Quad of Genalex Gold Lion KT-88 reissues from Jim McShane Feb 2016 in my Jolida 502CRC amp - I've been really happy with the way they sound!

Both sets of the lower power tubes are GE
12 AT7 JAN (Joint Army Navy)
12 AX7 (marked Made in USA)
But I recently got some NOS sylvanias to try in their place!

I'm also curious. I found a site that will sell me 5x (a duo and a trio, matched) for under $120. These are NOT the gold tip Lions. They are plain tipped. According to the site they sound exactly the same for half the price. I'm seriously considering biting the bullet and adding 2x 12AU7's to my order as well, but I often hear there is very little difference in the sound when rolling those. Are KT77's just plain old swappable with EL34's on any amp? Or is it just that particular model of Line Magnetic? And, while I'm asking, is there really much of a difference when rolling the power tubes? I've also heard said that it's REALLY hard to hear it.
I noticed a definite difference with power tube swapping in my ST-70. I tried a barrowed set of el34's a set of KT-88's and KT-77's. The 77's won out for me.

My amp will run 6L6 variants as well as EL34 types. I much prefer the EL34, the 6L6 types, although more linear, are too lean sounding in the mids and upper bass. My next roll will be KT77. If they retain the nice mids and perhaps a bit more up top I'd be won over. I'll probably go with JJ's at half the cost and if I like them I'll move toward the Gold Lions in the future.

I can only comment on the gold lion KT66, they sound decent, and can be had for a reasonable price, but the original GEC KT66 win hands down, unfortunately they are expensive and hard to find NOS

My amp will run 6L6 variants as well as EL34 types. I much prefer the EL34, the 6L6 types, although more linear, are too lean sounding in the mids and upper bass. My next roll will be KT77. If they retain the nice mids and perhaps a bit more up top I'd be won over. I'll probably go with JJ's at half the cost and if I like them I'll move toward the Gold Lions in the future.
I'm still using the JJ KT-77's. To my ears you get more than you pay for. The mids and highs sound nice. The bass isn't as punchy as the 88's I tried but I thought the over all balance was better with the 77's.

Last edited:
I'm still uwing the JJ KT-77's. To my ears you get more than you pay for. The mids and highs sound nice. The bass isn't as punchy as the 88's I tried but I thought the over all balance was better with the 77's.
Thanks for your opinion. That will be my next roll.

I'm going GL gold tip for my amp (Yaqin MC-13S). That;s $80 right there. After I see how the GL's sound, I'll contemplate either 3 more for my phono pre, or a combo that another AK'er suggests using 3 different brands in sequence. I'm glad I'm not into NOS yet. $200 just for 12AX7's is pricey! At least to me. You guys never told me that the amp is just the gateway drug! :deal:

In the for what it's worth column, I've been running a quad of GL reissue KT88s from Jim for a couple of years now. In all of my testing (and significant use), these tubes are every bit that of the original British manufactured tubes. They easily put out as much power as the original piece did -- something most Russian manufactured tubes are challenged to do -- are very stable in holding their operating point, and at this point, have all indications of lasting as long as the original tubes did as well. The GL GZ34 also performs just as the original, although I don't have as many hours on those tubes as I do the 88s.

Dave

Wow. I just got in a set of 12AX7's for my Yaqin MC-13S, and right out of the box, I can see the hype these Lions get! Can't wait until I get a pair of AU7's and maybe a triode for my T11.

I noticed a definite difference with power tube swapping in my ST-70. I tried a barrowed set of el34's a set of KT-88's and KT-77's. The 77's won out for me.
I ordered the Gold Lion KT77's. I can't seem to find anyone saying anything bad about them, and I've searched pretty extensively. They come in on Friday. Here's crossing my fingers for a perceptible increase in quality from the Yaqin branded 6CA7T stocks.

Back
Top Bottom