Any ProJect fans here

3db

Addicted Member
If so, what do you own? I have a ProJect Xpression III with an Ortofon Red

Pro-Ject Xtension 10 with Ortofon Rondo Red. I’ve been doing this “audiophile” thing for 45 years and at this point in my life I’m done chasing fads, and the latest and greatest in equipment. I’m now in the process of buying gear that most likely will be my final purchase. The Xtension 10 is a solid, well built turntable. It does what it’s supposed to do, and it does it well. While I’m sure I’ll be looking for a different cartridge, I don’t see myself looking for another turntable.

My main system is the only one that contains a TT and all of the equipment in it save for the cassette deck was bought new. My second and 3rd systems have been cobbled together from used purchases and they work very well. :)

You'll get more of a response from other hi-fi forums as the majority of members here are more into vintage rather than modern tables.

Not me though, I'm a happy owner of a Pro-ject 2Xperience/Hana EH. It's a solid, well made, nicely finished unit...it sounds pretty good too.

I have had a Project xpression ll for about 12 years. Used a Project phonobox up until last year.
I had a Grado Gold Cartridge on for most of the time, then a Grado Reference Platinum which I still have on.
Extremey happy with the setup.

Can you be a fan without being an owner? I like what I've heard from Pro-Ject models at various price points, both when sitting in on an in-store demos and when visiting the homes of Pro-Ject owners, but when I last shopped for a turntable, it was the Rega RP3 that I found most compelling.

I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with the acryl-it platter. I upgraded the Ortofon 2M Red to a 2M Blue. I also have a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2 which I really enjoy.

I had an early Debut II and whilst it was ok for what I paid for it, it didn't last the course.
Pretty shoddy construction with loads of play in the arm bearings and cartridge tags soldered by a chimp by the look of them.
Sad to say a 40 year old Sansui SR-212 bested it by a considerable margin and my current Technics SL-7 is in another league altogether.

I had a Debut III that I totally modded. Had an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge on it. It would hang with anything out there in the 2,000 dollar range, according to my dealer, after he saw and heard what I did. It was a great table for a while. Sold it, and got an AR XA that Marc Morin did all of his magic on. Still have my Music Hall 9.1 with the 9.3 motor and SoundSmith Aida cartridge as my reference table.

A couple of years ago I bought myself a Project Debut Carbon for my birthday. I already had 3 turntables, but I wanted something made in this millennium, and was curious about how a modern, entry level TT would sound. There was a minor problem with motor hum that was easily fixed, and I liked the fact that it was upgradeable. The Ortofon Red that came with it wasn't bad, but different from the Shure, Grado, and Stanton carts to which I was accustomed. I went with every mod I could find....acrylic platter, speed box...and when the Red stylus became a little worn, I replaced it with the Blue. All these things have added up to a good little table. It's my wife's favorite turntable.....and that makes it good enough for a place in my systems.

I have an old Pro-Ject 1.2 that has been modded a bit. I rewired the tonearm, isolated the motor (no more hum), added an acrylic platter and upgraded the feet. I'm running a Nags MP-11 at the moment.

Last edited:
I have a Pro-Ject 1.2 with a Grado platinum cart...purchased when first introduced to the USA...i think 1996?...still sounds excellent & never had a hum..it was a $400 TT at the time...got together with 10 other buyers & we paid $310...took the Sumiko Oyster off & got the $300 Grado cart for $210 installed at Cosmophonic Sound on UES in NYC...anybody here part of that lucky 10?

My wife's system includes a Pro-Ject Debut III with a glossy green plinth and a bright red Dynavector.

Dl5znXS.jpg

vRybFog.jpg

I have a Pro-Ject 1.2 with a Grado platinum cart...purchased when first introduced to the USA...i think 1996?...still sounds excellent & never had a hum..it was a $400 TT at the time...got together with 10 other buyers & we paid $310...took the Sumiko Oyster off & got the $300 Grado cart for $210 installed at Cosmophonic Sound on UES in NYC...anybody here part of that lucky 10?
I don't really understand your post!

I don't really understand your post!
OP says Any Pro-Ject Fans Here.....Well I'm a Fan...& was looking for early purchasers of Pro-Ject 1.2 TTs from back then that might be Audiokarma members & made that purchase with me (sort of like a Massdrop)...hopefully this clears up my sort of coded post

I have a Pro-ject 1 Xpression Carbon Classic with an Ortofon 2m blue. Am quite happy with it. Did the vintage thing,been there done that.

This is a refreshing post as most vintage people clobber ProJect but its funny that they only clobber the entry level ProJects. What vintage tables did you come from?

Back
Top Bottom