Anything salvageable in an old Sony DVD player?

reydelaplaya

i hate to waste a whole thread on such a simple question, but I don’t see any other way besides not asking.

Is there anything worth salvaging in an old Sony DVD player, DVP-S330, besides the power cord and screws?

I’ve been doing some cleaning out of that back storage room here at the house and found this tucked back in the closet. It’s the same one I mentioned about 3 years ago that I was already having trouble with which is why it got replaced by the Teac 650P that I currently use. It isn’t even in good-looking condition (cabinet rusty from being in my beach apartment in SJ for 11 years). I wiped the dust off of it and plugged it in, got a power up, but doesn’t read disks anymore. (QTip cleaned the laser lens but still no.) So trash pickup is on Thursday, these things sell for as low as $9 on eBay and there are plenty there, so yeah - not even gonna bother.

Is there anything inside besides the power cable and assorted screws that would be worth pulling before tossing it? Magnets? Laser? Motors? Fun things?

You won't know until 2 weeks after you throw it out.

This is what happens to me: I have an old item sitting around for years. I take it to the dump. About 2 weeks later I need a part from it. Even if I strip off parts I think I'll need.

So now my garage looks like something out of one of those hoarder TV shows. Inevitable when you're working on stuff with parts that in many cases are no longer available.

If it's not reading discs I wouldn't bother saving the laser.

Connections, switches,?
You won't know until 2 weeks after you throw it out.

This is what happens to me: I have an old item sitting around for years. I take it to the dump. About 2 weeks later I need a part from it. Even if I strip off parts I think I'll need.

So now my garage looks like something out of one of those hoarder TV shows. Inevitable when you're working on stuff with parts that in many cases are no longer available.

If it's not reading discs I wouldn't bother saving the laser.

Old CD/DVD players are my usual source of power cords with strain-relief grommets, and small power transformers, for DIY projects. Screws go in my screw jar and the rest gets chucked out.

Thank you for your replies, folks. Like I said, seemed kinda like a waste of a thread, but figured I’d ask just in case there’s something cool inside CD players I hadn’t realized before I tossed it out - and the suggestion of the power transformer is one I hadn’t thought of. I’ll have a better look at the connections too, but I know the switches are all ‘soft’ type so I doubt they’re any good. Appreciate the info! :)

I actually used the top metal part of an old DVD player to make a bracket to mount a tachometer in the dash of my old Dodge truck.:D It didn't even need to be painted. The semi-gloss black matched the dash pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom